Wood arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood arrows

Wood arrows are expensive even for the "entry level" ones on 3Rivers.
    But if one chooses poorly the cost is a whole lot more. That said I need some input so I can make an informed purchase decision.
    Basically I'm looking only to buy arrows to shoot at TBOT shoots. Of course practice for those as well. I'm not looking for precision use although reliable consistency is needed. I have no intention of tooling up for straightening, precision tapering and all of the stuff that goes with it. I currently don't have the space for all of that.
    So can I get set up fairly simply to do this or is it more to do that than I am willing to put into it?

Gary

Contact an arrow smith which there are several. Plan to pay between 120-150 a dozen which is similar to carbons. Don’t scrimp on arrows they are the most important part of your setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

call 3 rivers tell them your set up they are easy o work with they will cut taper or even mount heads if you want

Comment

All Wood arrows 608-501-5913 or google em

Comment

So can I tell 3Rivers or an arrow smith was I'm shooting and expect them to cut to the proper length and spine arrows that will work?

Gary

Comment

A good arrowsmith can come really close. My last set was built by JEFFRO, I just gave him all the info and he came up with the right combo. They fly perfectly.
            Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
            Last edited by Phillip Fields; 01-04-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Yeah I e spoken with him briefly once. Don't do the book of faces though.

Gary

Comment

lost nation makes a great wood arrow

Comment

I would make sure to get arrows with the tapered rear 9" or so. They just fly and tune so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    I would make sure to get arrows with the tapered rear 9" or so. They just fly and tune so much better.
                    Trimming and turning isn't part of the equation. Like I said I'm not set up to do that so if it's not a situation I can just buy and shoot I probably won't.

Gary

Comment

Gary, try contacting Carson at Surewood Arrow Shafts. Tell him the draw weight of your bow , what your actual draw length is , what grain points you will use, and how long you want your shaft to be . He is very knowledgeable and will hook you up. If you want give me a call at+13616883086.

Comment

you can use the wood arrow chart 3 rivers has and pick your spine, length and draw weight. if in between go stiffer you can always add broad head weight

Comment

Trimming and tapering is super simple, cheap, and may be needed to achieve proper tune!
                          Don’t let it intimidate you. Buy from a reputable dealer and they will get you close.

Comment

It's not about being intimidated. It's about space and investment. I shoot carbon arrows for the most part. I have an arrow saw and it's useful for both traditional and compound use. For friends who need arrows worked as well. I've always had a fletching jig as well.
                            I don't intend to hunt with wooden arrows. They wood just be for shoots only. (See what I did there?[emoji3])
                            Messing with trimming, head weight and so on just isn't worth it to me at this time. If it takes all that I understand and can make the informed decision to pass on it for now.
                            I believe I can shoot a recurve open and longbow open class with carbon arrows and get a couple rounds in that way and not mess with it right now if that is what it takes.
                            Maybe when the spare room is actually mine to use for such things and not a store room for grandkid toys, teacher clutter and a young second lieutenant's stuff he can't carry with him from school to school then I can branch out some and have a little more room to work and store my stuff.

Gary

Comment

Gary, If you REALLY want perfect flight, wood is a tinkering process. BUT that being typed, you can get good shooting woods without all the mess. As stated above. Contact a real arrow smith. Give them your specs, and most likely they will send you a product you will want more of. In the words of my Yankee friends, "Wood is Good, and has a soul."
                              Let me know if you get serious and I will find out what a friend of mine is getting on a dozen now.
                              Side note to this conversation. There are LOTS of woods which make very nice heavy hunting arrows, but jut daily shooters a solid set of POC is hard to beat.

Comment

Working...
                              X