2019 APR TBH Special Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
    I’m on the same page as slick 8. Will be doing 300wm with the best brake they offer in lightweight package. I’m beyond excited and we can’t even order yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may be leaning this way also. I haven't done the research on other similar calibers yet, but I wouldn't be suprised if this is what I end up for a 500-700 yard elk gun.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
      I am in the same boat. I was thinking 300wsm, but not sure I want to be on the receiving end of that in a light gun. I wish I would have not already done a 7-08 in last years build. I really want to go bigger for this one, but may have to change my mind. I don't reload, so I can't really go with any fancy calibers.
      Yep...wanting to build a 300WSM myself but not in a light gun. Got the figure out the "Tiers" for sure.

Comment

For those who reload and were considering the prc, the 6.5 GAP 4S or SAUM is a great way to go. The OAL is 2.900" for most loads guys are using (obviously depending on the reamer). vs the factory PRC ammo that is 2.940"

H1000 powder between 59-61.5gr is usually the sweet spot, going around 3,050-3,100 fps

**Robert addresses this in post #153 - works in an unmodified bdl setup

Comment

A light weight rig is appealing but I can’t say I have any caliber gaps currently except in maybe a sub 22 caliber, but that seems like a waste since I really don’t varmint hunt.

Robert, what do you feel is the absolute longest OAL that will feed reliably in the light weight build? I have a factory 260 Rem mountain rifle, but might could be convinced to sell it in favor of one of these in a 260AI if it would work well within the mag box restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Also, is it possible to have a detachable mag in the light weight build?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
              Yep...wanting to build a 300WSM myself but not in a light gun. Got the figure out the "Tiers" for sure.

Yep I have one that tips the scales at about 7.3 lbs. No brake. It’s a head knocker.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                7 Remington mag, 257 Weatherby, or something in the 270 variety are my top picks at the moment.
                The 7mm is really versatile, but I am thinking I want a 257 Weatherby. I have been for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                  257 weatherby was my initial thought
                  Do it!

Comment

It looks like we have solved the Wyatt's box issue with the 6.5 PRC. Which should translate to all of the other cases that would need an extended mag box to run in a Rem patterned mag box. Going to knock out a few more parts and test again.
                    Last edited by Stick1; 12-18-2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      A light weight rig is appealing but I can’t say I have any caliber gaps currently except in maybe a sub 22 caliber, but that seems like a waste since I really don’t varmint hunt.

Robert, what do you feel is the absolute longest OAL that will feed reliably in the light weight build? I have a factory 260 Rem mountain rifle, but might could be convinced to sell it in favor of one of these in a 260AI if it would work well within the mag box restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      You are probably going to want an extended box to be happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                        Go with a 300 wm and a brake, it's an oldie but is a solid performer with lots of factory options.

I was already contemplating this build before Robert through it out as a group build and am planning a 300wm. I reload and have looked at several 7mm and 30 cal mags but keep coming back to the tried and true.

For me, it meets the goal of running a 200-215 boolet at 2900-3000 in a 26 inch barrel and just like factory ammo selection it has a huge selection of new brass.

You can get 3100 from a 180 yet still have good performance from a 24 inch barrel if that's in your plans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It would be really hard to beat a 300WM in this package for a go anywhere, hunt anything rig running the 200 gr and up bullets. It's old school, but consistency and energy on target past 1k with the 215's is hard to argue when weighed against it's relatively mild manners with a good brake.

Comment

interested in a 300wm myself. forgive my ignorance what is turn around time and payment look like again.
                          Last edited by BuckRage; 12-18-2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                            interested in a 300wm myself. forgive my ignorance what is turn around time and payment look like again.
                            We are still waiting on a few things before we can post price and delivery schedule. Promise we are working on it as fast as we can.

Comment

I’m in for a 300wm - that’s my next purchase whether custom or not.

G.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpg View Post
                                Well, I kept my nose out of last year's special deal, as I was gun poor enough and actually somewhat avoided the thread and the temptation to pull the trigger on yet another build, but... dang this'n looks even better!

Robert, you know me well enough after building my 28 ultralight to know that the lightweight version gets my vote.

Now, the chambering is a bit more difficult decision... I believe I have the 7mm and up covered and I've been looking at a 6.5. I'm a big fan of the SAUM but the PRC is hard to ignore.

I'm staying tuned in and weighing the options...

It's going to be really tough to beat your last build from just about any angle That said, I'm betting you'll really like the PRC if you go that direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X