No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting so stoked for the upcoming archery hunt. I hunted last year, had a lot of the same sorts of experiences that others did. I hunted high up in Unit 8, walked in from the gate a good way, saw exactly 1 other hunter walking at quite a distance across open ground in 5 full hunting days. I got very close, like 15 yards close, to a Nilgai cow on scouting day, got my blood pumping hard, I can say -- actually it was the other way around, the cow walked right past me and my wife about 10 minutes after we had finished setting up my hide. Next day saw a mature bull at 150 yards, an amazing sight, but couldn't close the gap across open ground, he took off at full gallop. I passed on two whitetail at less than 10 yards each, just not why I was there, and one was a baby. There are definitely baby-killer hunters out there -- some guys brought in animals to the check station that could not have yielded 10 lbs of meat -- but it is a planned cull so I suppose we're supposed to shoot whatever we can shoot. The bugs are ferocious but Permethrin treating keeps them off your clothes, gloves, head net, at least, and you're just asking for trouble if you don't bathe in DEET or PICARIDIN and also use a Thermacell. Saw amazing snakes. Keep alert for moving swarms of Africanized honey bees and try to stay out of their path; one swarm came so close to my hide that I was seriously worried -- I just sat absolutely still until they moved on, it took maybe 5-10 nervous minutes. If you are into birdwatching, it is paradise -- incredible sights, rare birds, sky turned dark and full of ducks from horizon to horizon, etc. The top of Unit 8 (like Units 3 and 5) is far, even a far drive from the main gate to get to the gate at the end of the drivable road -- but it is a whole different world up there, a unique hunting experience in the USA, I feel. I don't think there's any other place quite like it. It is just a very challenging place and an even more challenging hunt. I might do it again up there, or I might try something different, who knows? There are lots of options in LANWR, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
      So who all will be there for the 13-17th hunt? I would like to connect with y’all and get a group text going. Always good to have some help if needed and give each other info that’s useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I'll be there for the 13-17th hunt, too. And I'm going back for the Feb 5-7 archery hunt at Bahia Grande unit if I'm still breathing by then -- the chance to check out a "Nilgai infested" area that has never before been hunted? Yes please.

Peter 914-260-2314

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
        I'll be there for the 13-17th hunt, too. And I'm going back for the Feb 5-7 archery hunt at Bahia Grande unit if I'm still breathing by then -- the chance to check out a "Nilgai infested" area that has never before been hunted? Yes please.

Peter 914-260-2314
        Congratulations on both draws. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
          what happened to them opening up La Selva Verde Tract?
          I found the 2020 Hunt Plan for Laguna Atascosa. I submitted a link. It shows there is supposed to some sort of youth hunt there. It doesn't say anything about opening it up for anything beyond that for now.

Comment

The Hunt plan linked above shows unit 4 of Laguna Atascosa (accessible only by boat) should be open for archery on Table 1 page 5 but my map with my permit shows the area is closed to hunting. The Hunt Plan was just published in July. Unit 4 is on the Northside of the Channel from Thomae Park.

Someone with a refuge connection might ask why this unit isn't open if its published to be open in the hunt plan.

Comment

Hunting National Wildlife Refuges under attack

Guys and girls - if you haven’t done so, please Go Vote for President Trump!

This lawsuit will only be the beginning should the left win next month.

http://https://www.houstonchronicle....S-15682145.php

Comment

Originally posted by aggiebowhunter View Post
                Guys and girls - if you haven’t done so, please Go Vote for President Trump!

This lawsuit will only be the beginning should the left win next month.

http://https://www.houstonchronicle....S-15682145.php

Link doesn’t work for me?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
                  Link doesn’t work for me?

Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Gear question for the guys who've hunted LANWR before -- do you carry and use binoculars or spotting scope? Tripod for the optic?

Comment

Gear question for the guys who've hunted LANWR before -- do you carry and use binoculars or spotting scope? Tripod for the optic?
                      Binos and carry trigger sticks for shooting and glassing.

Comment

Binoculars, with a monopod if your looking hard should be good for LANWR. Hard to find elevation to see above most vegetation. Some of the open areas you can see a long distance for sure.

Comment

I’ve only used binoculars out there. Never thought of taking a spotting scope. I liked hunting the thicker brush so binos was all I needed. I could see the benefit of a spotting scope while checking the open areas

Comment

If anyone scouted in the past couple weeks please give us a heads up on how wet it is down there. Many creek beds on google earth appear dry and I’m wondering if that’s the case now? Prior threads say sometimes it’s dry and sometimes you could float a tube. What have y’all seen?

Comment

Originally posted by shake_n_bake View Post
                              If anyone scouted in the past couple weeks please give us a heads up on how wet it is down there. Many creek beds on google earth appear dry and I’m wondering if that’s the case now? Prior threads say sometimes it’s dry and sometimes you could float a tube. What have y’all seen?

That imagery is old and not current. Its been the same image since 2016 as far as I know(date back to). Expect thicker vegetation. "Water holes" will be different

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X