Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gdouty View Post
    Any idea if this general access approach gets you access to all or some of the the hunting areas?
    The gate to the north to sections 5 and 8 will be closed.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Got drawn for 11-6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
        Nice fire extinguisher mounts! I'm guessing that's for extra water?

After reading your previous posts and now this one, I'm understanding the importance of not wasting time. I had planned on hiking in, but if I can bike and arrive at destination earlier and in less sweat, I like that.

Nice setup. Believe I will play copy cat.

HaHa! Yes, the bike is set up for “bike packing”. But Now that I have the trailer I may remove those front fork mounts, but I’ve taken to leaving my Nalgene bottles there so we’ll see....

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryNerd View Post
          Nice rig, can you post a bigger picture? Just kidding...

Seriously though that's a nice rig and I like how your cart is attached with a cable I bet that's super quiet and flexible.

Are you running tubeless or airless?

I am working on gearing up for this my first year I drew the deer / nilgai tag. It looks like I am going to be a solo hunter and I think I am going to just tent camp.

The cable connection seems to work gear and the connection itself is quiet, the cart itself tho is not. It collapses down by removing 4 hitchpins, but they rattle when the cart bounces. It’s not an obscene amount of noise, but it’s there. I may play around with trying to secure them a little better to cut down on noise, but for this particular hunt it don’t think the rattle will really be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
            The cable connection seems to work gear and the connection itself is quiet, the cart itself tho is not. It collapses down by removing 4 hitchpins, but they rattle when the cart bounces. It’s not an obscene amount of noise, but it’s there. I may play around with trying to secure them a little better to cut down on noise, but for this particular hunt it don’t think the rattle will really be an issue.

Oh, and I’m running tubeless on the bike, airless on the cart.

Comment

@FlyGuyy Very cool set up on the bike. I'm getting mine together now. What did you use for the connection? I'm looking at options for easy on/off and trying to keep it quiet too.
              Also what are you using for light, just a headlamp? I like having a gandlebar light and a headlamp, it gets dark on public land, real dark.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Buck Smacker; 09-09-2020, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I have some headlamps that are pretty bright. May want to use those instead of mounting a light on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Smacker View Post
                  @FlyGuyy Very cool set up on the bike. I'm getting mine together now. What did you use for the connection? I'm looking at options for easy on/off and trying to keep it quiet too.
                  Also what are you using for light, just a headlamp? I like having a gandlebar light and a headlamp, it gets dark on public land, real dark.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I don’t recall the brands, but I have two lights mounted on the handlebars. Both are bike specific products with appropriate mounts. One is AAA battery operated the other is rechargeable. One set to a wide beam, one set for longer reach. I try to save the headlamp battery when possible and use these. I don’t often ride anything technical at night, but if I do then I throw the headlamp in there too.

I think it’s important to have two lights for night riding b/c It’s very easy for one of them to get knocked around and off target. Then suddenly you are peddling into complete darkness and nothing good is going to happen in that situation.

The connection is from Sherpa (same as the cart). I had to rig it to work with my bike. It’s sold as a seat post mount, but my bike has a dropper post so that wouldn’t work. I just U bolted it down to the rear rack. Not pretty, but very functional. I can take a pic in the am.

Comment

Originally posted by capn View Post
                    Sent you a pm mudmauler. I'd go in for group lodging on the 11/6 hunt.

I didn’t receive a PM

“Fools multiply when wise men are silent” -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Just curious if y'all that are using bikes have dealt with mud at Laguna? I took bikes our first year at Laguna and after some rainy days the mud made them totally useless.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mudmauler View Post
                        I didn’t receive a PM
                        Tried again from my phone this time. For some reason I have had a couple of pm's not go thru.

ArcheryNerd, I also sent you a pm.

Comment

Anyone else going down for scouting weekend next week, 19th/20th?

I'm taking a buddy and we are staying on the beach in South Padre. He had 2 free hotel nights which made it much cheaper!

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                            Just curious if y'all that are using bikes have dealt with mud at Laguna? I took bikes our first year at Laguna and after some rainy days the mud made them totally useless.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Yeah, The rains can make it harsh. Even walking in that clay/mud/grease sucks. Obviously the gravel roads aren’t affected any but the dirt roads turn to mush. Fat tire or plus bikes are required for those conditions (but it’s still a mess). a standard width Mtn bike tire can’t distribute the weight on the soft surface and is just going to sink. An ebike with fat tires would be the ideal solution but they aren’t in my price range!

Comment

One thing that I think that hasn't been mentioned is the time frame of entering the park. Last year they opened up 1.5 hours before daylight. It takes about 45 minutes to just enter the park, outside the park is 15mph and speed bumps everywhere and once you're inside its still a very slow long drive. Also count the hike/bike in to your spot. There were a couple of times where I just barely made it before first light and I was one of the first in there. There was also a morning where the park ranger did not show up to open the gate and lots of people were waiting for 30 minutes.

@Buck Smaker, I used a headlamp and a bike specific handlebar light. I crafted a flat bed trailer that I made out of an old Trek bike carrier that I bought for $20 on Facebook similar to this one. Super lightweight and simple.

Comment

Has anyone stayed/camped at Adolph Thomae Jr. County Park while hunting Laguna Atascosa? Curious if this setup is any better/worse than renting a place nearby, which seems to be the more popular approach...

Comment

Working...
                                X