Shingles Vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shingles Vaccine

Can you get it if you're under 60? Google and old threads here are mixed so curious about first hand experience before I go see a doc (got antiviral meds at rediclinic yesterday, they weren't sure about the shot). I don't care about insurance coverage if that is the issue. Only two fairly mild cases, one now and one 15 years ago, but would be the best $200 I ever spent if it keeps this evil **** at bay. I also read it only lasts for around 5 years, which again I have 0 problem with if I can just get it again.

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
    Can you get it if you're under 60? Google and old threads here are mixed so curious about first hand experience before I go see a doc (got antiviral meds at rediclinic yesterday, they weren't sure about the shot). I don't care about insurance coverage if that is the issue. Only two fairly mild cases, one now and one 15 years ago, but would be the best $200 I ever spent if it keeps this evil **** at bay. I also read it only lasts for around 5 years, which again I have 0 problem with if I can just get it again.

Yes you can. I had shingles twice and got the vaccine after the first time cleared up. Many get it again after the vacation but it is milder and doesn’t last as long.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sure you can, I did, best money I ever spent(so far).

Comment

Wife and myself just got ours,said they lower the age to 50 now for the vaccine shots.

Comment

I finally got around to getting my first one yesterday - will go back in a few months for round two. Vaccines usually don't bother me much but man is my arm sore! It sure beats having an outbreak though

Comment

I was at the Dr a week ago and asked about the vaccine...I turned 50 back in December...she told me there are two vaccines out there...the original innoculation was a one time shot and was only 60% effective...she told me about the newest shot that's 90-95% effective, and it's a two time shot...get one, come back 6months later for #2...that's gonna be the route I take...too many folks I know have gotten shingles and it tore them up...one of the persons was a 45 yr old fellow that works with me...don't need that stuff...it had him layed up for a month at least...

Comment

Had it on my shoulder blade about 15 years ago. forehead this time. Working outside Saturday probably didn't help much. Was hoping it wasn't shingles but woke up to the blisters starting yesterday. 1 gram antiviral 3 times a day for a week. looks a bit lighter today, hasn't spread any more, it just needs to heal. Tingling and itches pretty bad today. Of course its the week i have to give a couple presentations at work...

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                I finally got around to getting my first one yesterday - will go back in a few months for round two. Vaccines usually don't bother me much but man is my arm sore! It sure beats having an outbreak though
                Ours hurt for about 3 days,couldn't even lay on that side,the follow up shot made me feel like I was catching the flue,ache's and chill's,didn't bother my wife,your right still beats a outbreak.

Comment

Shingles is no fun, but the shot had soreness and flu like after effects for a day or 2 as mentioned above.

Comment

I gave myself one as a 60th birthday present to myself. Mine was only one injection but that was 5 years ago. Fortunately, I have never had that dreaded stuff but it sure tears folks up.

Comment

The new vaccine it's called Shingrix. You can get it after 50.
                      I'm on week 4 with shingles and let me tell you something. Had I known it was this bad I would have gotten a whole barrel full.
                      I cannot describe how debilitating this is. Trust me you don't want shingles and I could use some prayer.
                      Bobby

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a script for the shot I cannot fill. My insurance plan won’t cover it for three more years. I have tried to buy it outright but there is a waiting list.
                        I guess I can run down to Juarez and get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo View Post
                          I was at the Dr a week ago and asked about the vaccine...I turned 50 back in December...she told me there are two vaccines out there...the original innoculation was a one time shot and was only 60% effective...she told me about the newest shot that's 90-95% effective, and it's a two time shot...get one, come back 6months later for #2...that's gonna be the route I take...too many folks I know have gotten shingles and it tore them up...one of the persons was a 45 yr old fellow that works with me...don't need that stuff...it had him layed up for a month at least...

I’m almost 47 and I get the shingles internally. Feels like my chest is on fire when it shows. Since I have chronic respiratory failure, the shingles show up after a course of antibiotic treatment for the respiratory issues.

Comment

I got on a waiting list for the shot at my closest Walgreens. It took 2-3 months but they called me and the pharmacist gave it to me.

Comment

I walked right into my local HEB, (A)not knowing if I could get it, (B)if insurance would cover it, and (C)more than willing to pay whatever it cost me to get the shot. I got it right then, right there, and my insurance covered it completely. Like jerp said, my arm was sore for a couple of days, after both shots, but I'll take that over an outbreak of shingles anytime.

Comment

Working...
                              X