No announcement yet.

What is the cost of owning a horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We recently bought one for my daughter. Board is 400 month. Nice facility though. She rides him 4-5 times a week. Barn is not too far from the house. I would go the lease route if i were you. That way if you find it doesn't fit great in your lifestyle, etc. you aren't stuck with the animal. Pretty much every barn will have some horses available for lease.

Comment

Depends on what you want to do with it.
      If you are doing what my wife does your pockets are always empty...LOL

Either way they cost money & are 24/7 for sure.

Comment

We received two 'free' horses a few years ago. After spending a few hundred dollars on them, we accepted the fact that we were not 'horse people' and let them go to someone who was.
        These horses had not been worked with or trained to be ridden. We discovered very quickly that our lifestyle didn't allow the time needed to work with them and spend time with them to turn them into the occasional riding horses we envisioned.
        BTW, we live on 15 fenced acres.
        Growing up, we had two horses at my grandparents' land in NE Texas (120 acres). We visited 4 or 5 times a year and would catch the horses, saddle them, and ride around a while. That was fun. But those horses had (somewhere along the way) been trained to be ridden. Now they weren't the best horses to ride since they were only ridden a few times per year, but it was all we needed. (Lots of good stories about them trying to scrape us off under a low branch, etc.)
        The rest of the time, they just hung out with my grandparents' cows, they were never shod, had no vet exams, etc.
        Where I live in Parker County, most folks treat their horses better than they do their spouses and children. Fancy special hay, etc.

Comment

My daughter might be upset if we got rid of ours.

Comment

Horses have a purpose if used right.. They are the best thing for handicap
            kids to bond with. My son had a lot of problems and a horse help him more than
            any med or Dr . When I took him to Sol ross for school we took his horse .
            When we got there he was very down. His horse could tell that and went over
            and stood beside him. That horse new he needed something to help him . A lot of good information to think about before you get one

Comment

We have 2 retired horses in Texas we feed and now have 2 up here in the arctic!!!. Much more expensive than you might first think, and that is even when nothing goes wrong. I believe it is cheaper in Texas than it is up north where we have to stall them so much during the winter. They are great animals, but if you are not going to ride them consistently weekly, if not more, I would suggest befriending someone that has one and riding theirs! Much better option!

Good luck whatever you decide!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                Until recently I had 4 horses, the youngest is 29 years old, the oldest was 36. They were all on Heritage 16% Senior feed and good coastal hay. That senior feed is $17 bucks a bag. This might seem irrelevant to your questions, but these horses were not old when I got them. They , over time became pets and I could not in good conscious just get rid of them because they had outlived their purpose. What I'm saying is, they can become an emotional investment as well as a monetary one. You need to be prepared for that just in case.
                yes! large expensive dogs that don't recover downed birds. try to get rid of them if u have kids. good luck!!

Comment

I had as many as 4 at one time. Down to 1 now - a big Tennessee Walker mare that my wife refuses to part with. I hunt and fish - and she rides with a bunch of her friends all the time. They are a lot of responsibility and expense as others have stated. But - you only live once and can't take any $$ with you. If you want 1 and are willing to live with the responsibility that goes along with it, go for it. You have to be passionate about it - all in. If you have any reservations, don't bother ...

Comment

on the way a horse is affordable if you can build a cheap barn door already have one and put multiple stalls in it. My brother-in-law is my neighbor he got out of horses but he brings his stalls for 75-100 each a month. That's super cheap for our area and he doesn't touch the horses or feed at all. We did have horses that covered his feed bill and vet bills

Comment

We have around 20 or so at the moment. We feed round bales and have the property so monthly cost isn't much and since we are Arabian breeders we have an ag exemption and farm for federal taxes. Our tax advantages way outweigh any costs involved but we are the exception, not the norm. Wife does most vet stuff on them and we only keep in stalls when foaling.

Comment

OP based on your experience, etc..... I wouldn't invest in a horse.

Comment

Whatever people tell you the cost is multiply by 5x and you may be close.

Comment

A boat is a fine investment up beside of a hayburner.

If you get a good horse it will always be hurt/sick $$$$ if you get a ****ty one it will live for 25 years $$$. They're even expensive when they die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

pretty close estimate as you always have to write a check for something

Comment

Unless you are going to be using it a lot to MAKE money, working-penning cattle, or riding everyday it will be a great expense. You will have to decide how much pleasure you get for your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                                X