What is the cost of owning a horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IF IT HASN'T BEEN SAID YET... RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

i was talked into two of these and now i have a pain in each side of my arse

Comment

Call the man.

Comment

You can own 2 unicorns cheaper

Comment

It is not cheap and the expense never stops LOL. I probably would have thought a lot harder before buying one. Buying the horse is the cheap part. I think it probably costs me about $400 a month on average. That is stable, feed, ferrier, shots and wormer all averaged out.

I give my own vaccines and wormer so I try to avoid the vet. Also I barely go out there any more and my son lost interest. My daughter wants to ride but I never have anytime to go over there. Weather has been horrible so it is very muddy out there too. Not sure I can convince the family to sell but if I could that horse would be gone.

Comment

I have never owned one, but you couldn't give me one of those hay burners.

Comment

Boy how times have changed, used to be only poor people hunted and had horses. Just like hunting, horses are crazy expensive. I refuse to own one.

Comment

The Simpsons summed up owning a horse perfectly.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoMZGJaox-c"]Simpsons - Lisa`s pony (Homer has two jobs) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Pigpiggy View Post
                  It depends on the woman attached to the horse.
                  Get rid of both. Save lots of $$$

Comment

Until recently I had 4 horses, the youngest is 29 years old, the oldest was 36. They were all on Heritage 16% Senior feed and good coastal hay. That senior feed is $17 bucks a bag. This might seem irrelevant to your questions, but these horses were not old when I got them. They , over time became pets and I could not in good conscious just get rid of them because they had outlived their purpose. What I'm saying is, they can become an emotional investment as well as a monetary one. You need to be prepared for that just in case.

Comment

I owned 3 at once and they ain't cheap. Feed, ferrier, time to care for them, it all adds up. They are not worth having IMO unless you rodeo or work them.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                        Get rid of both. Save lots of $$$

Well ride em a bit then get rid of them

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          Until recently I had 4 horses, the youngest is 29 years old, the oldest was 36. They were all on Heritage 16% Senior feed and good coastal hay. That senior feed is $17 bucks a bag. This might seem irrelevant to your questions, but these horses were not old when I got them. They , over time became pets and I could not in good conscious just get rid of them because they had outlived their purpose. What I'm saying is, they can become an emotional investment as well as a monetary one. You need to be prepared for that just in case.
                          I mainly just pet mine and give it treats. I'm thinking about leasing it out. If someone wants to try out horse ownership you can rent mine for $400 a month . She stays on 350 acres of riding grounds and is fed twice daily. Easily going and kid friendly.

Comment

Way to much for a pet that doesn't even retrieve birds

Comment

All I know is my crazy catlady mom lived by herself on a farm in the woods for most of her life with 15 cats, 6 dogs, and 2-3 horses and now she complains about not having enough money for retirement. Makes me crazy mad because her burn rate on all these stupid animals would have probably bought her a house in the hills and a pile of cash to go to sleep on every night. Instead she's rocking SS checks and fretting over bird feed.

Comment

They eat 25 hours a day, 8 days a week

Comment

Working...
                                X