What is the cost of owning a horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the cost of owning a horse

I've always wanted a horse and I'm considering getting one. I've ridden horses in the past in trail rides and of course those horses were already trained and easy to ride. My fil has a few acres about 40 min from where I live and he said I could set something up,there if I wanted (no fence). My sil lives there with him and I could pay my nephew to feed the horse if need be. My question is, how much does it cost to maintain a horse? Right now I have nothing (no saddle, etc...) or no experience in the maintenance of one.

You’re looking in the high 7 figure range before it’s all said and done

Seriously, horses are crazy expensive.

Comment

Having a horse you become a servant to the horse!!! 24/7/365

Comment

Horses are expensive. Performance horses even more so. If you want to own a horse to ride every no and again don't. Go to a riding stable.

Comment

I have owned horses most of my life.. they have to be ridden regularly even if they are seasoned.. feed Is 10 bucks a sack and hay for winter is 8 dollars a bail. Each will last last than a week if feeding properly. Feet have to be trimmed at 40 to 60 bucks a pop. Every 6 weeks. You will pay way more for the horse than it's worth. I just gave my cow horse to my buddy's 10 year old daughter because I wanted him to go to someone who would ride him.. it's not cheap owning a horse.. plus you need fence a shed etc..

Comment

Don't forget vet bills. I swear a horse can cut itself in rubber room.

Comment

My thoughts! All they do is eat and s**t.

Comment

The veterinarian bills are steep as well.

Comment

Horses are expensive. Performance horses especially. We have 4 on feed right now.

Comment

It would be cheaper if you bought an incinerator that will only burn single $100 bills and use it twice a week.

Comment

true^, more expensive than children

Comment

Daughter has been riding for awhile and has wanted her own horse here at the house for a long time. We went through an exercise on the cost and it was $10,000 for fence, shed/a tall, feed, prep, etc. and that was before the cost of the horse. I told her as soon as she comes up with the $10k, I'll go buy the horse.
                        Best thing if you really want a horse is to "lease/rent" one from a local stable. They will handle the day to day stuff and you get to rude when you want without having to schedule a ride with them.

Comment

I'd pass, get a four wheeler.

Comment

It depends on the woman attached to the horse.
                            Attached Files

Comment

It depends. I do the vast majority of my own vet work and I have enough land that I don't have to feed mine but I am not the norm. Why horses are fun on just a few acres you will have to feed them everyday and it will get boring riding around in a circle pretty quick. You either need to be at a big set of stables that have some land and maybe a riding club or you need a trailer to haul to places to ride. All in all it is going to cost you plenty.

-john

Comment

Working...
                              X