Best Tree's for East Texas Front Yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    Monterrey oaks.grow pretty fast. Fertilize each year.
    X2

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
      Now now Justin, I am making you a deal on the Live Oaks! Man, You got more varying responses than a “what side by side is the best” thread! Lol. It was good visiting with you today!
      Haha, I am not doubting the deal you gave me at all! I am thinking to plant multiple kinds now and getting ideas.

Comment

I planted 2 red buds and a live oak when we built our house. Both are doing great and I love them.

Comment

Live oaks are nice, I like the cypress, and for shade look at a yellow poplar.

Comment

Magnolia tree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Plant a couple sweet gum trees. One of the most beautiful fall foliage trees in Texas. I planted two in my yard, wish I had planted more.

Comment

tagged.

We have plenty of trees around the house we live in now and on the back of our property but where we plan to build in a few more years has no trees to block the evening sun so I need to go ahead and plant some now to get a head start.
                Also the driveway to the future home sight is 200 yards and the wife wants it lined with trees. I plan on those being live oaks, can anyone offer insight on what kind of spacing I should go with between trees?

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                  Plant a couple sweet gum trees. One of the most beautiful fall foliage trees in Texas. I planted two in my yard, wish I had planted more.
                  Holy crap ! Nothing like sweetgum balls, while you're at it plant some China berry trees beautiful fall foliage. :-):-)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                    tagged.

We have plenty of trees around the house we live in now and on the back of our property but where we plan to build in a few more years has no trees to block the evening sun so I need to go ahead and plant some now to get a head start.
                    Also the driveway to the future home sight is 200 yards and the wife wants it lined with trees. I plan on those being live oaks, can anyone offer insight on what kind of spacing I should go with between trees?
                    Live oak

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Go to your local county extension office and find out what tree species are best adapted to that area, preferably native. Your type of soil will have a lot to do with which species is best. You can then decide if you want to get a small tree for $100 +/- or spend several hundred on getting a tree that is an automatic shade maker. Also, based on species selection, Nativ Nurseries a company affiliated with Mossy Oak has some air pruned trees that grow really fast because they don't go through the transplant shock or it is much less severe.

The time is good for planting now with most trees in dormancy, that window is closing though with bud break not too far in the future.

I would hesitate to plant any ash right now as the emerald ash borer has been spotted in several counties in Texas and it can wipeout ash trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                        A nice Mesquite tree would be Unique.
                        Call me crazy, but I halfway considered planting a bull mesquite.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                          tagged.

See below, think about power lines too. Hate to see the tops of trees cut off so there is clearance for power lines. Also, many new construction places plant too close and have the trees crowded never allowing the tree to fully express its canopy without hitting its neighbor.

The Texas Tree Planting Guide is an interactive guide that has lots of information and is fun to use. From the guide we learn that the live oak Quercus virginiana (Coastal live oak) is considered a large tree with a mature height of 40 to 80 feet, and approximately the same width. The minimum space requirement would be 180 square ft. Trees should be no closer that 40 to 50 ft. The roots are going to extend out from the trunk to reach the drip line at least, and perhaps even farther.

Comment

Anyone ever tried a chestnut tree?

-john

Comment

I planted some Chinese pistachio trees and they grow fast!

Comment

Speaking of Chinese Pistache, when would be the best time to transplant a tree into the yard, from a nursery container?

Comment

Working...
                                X