Outserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outserts

I am currently shooting a hoyt spider 30. 28-1/2” draw 56#.
    Just switched from axis 400 to the 340. The reason i am going with a heavier arrow is, i am going to africa in july. Do yall think i should go with an outsert or maybe a brass insert for more penetration? Broad heads are slick trick 100 grain.

That's an excellent question

There are many factors that influence penetration potential.

If I was going to Africa.
    I'd have 3 parameters for MY perfect arrow.
    1) UFOC
    2) Single
    3) 1200 grains

As my arrows are 30" long it'll likely be a 150 spine

Comment

Muddyfuzzy would be a good guy to talk to on here. He is an arrow building guru and also has African experience. It would also depend on what kind of critters you're planning on going after over there too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Brass, and or call muddyfuzzy and have some black eagles made. IMO id change the slicks to a simmons 175 gr tiger shark or a Magnus black hornet, or since it’s a once in a lifetime thing... iron wills

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
          Brass, and or call muddyfuzzy and have some black eagles made. IMO id change the slicks to a simmons 175 gr tiger shark or a Magnus black hornet, or since it’s a once in a lifetime thing... iron wills
          Not trying start anything here, but I'm curious as to why you're expressing an opinion to the OP on switching from Slick Tricks to anything else,when he didn't even ask about BH's?
          I'm going to Africa this year myself, and will be hunting plains game only. I plan on shooting ST magnums, and I have no reservations about doing so, whatsoever.
          Last edited by HeyMikey; 02-05-2019, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
            Not trying start anything here, but I'm curious as to why you're expressing an opinion to the OP on switching from Slick Tricks to anything else,when he didn't even ask about BH's?
            I'm going to Africa this year myself, and will be hunting plains game only. I plan on shooting ST magnums, and I have no reservations about doing so, whatsoever.

Your correct, he didn’t and I probably shouldn’t have given my opinion. I’m just not the biggest fan of slicks, and said the other options just for greater penetration if he is shooting bigger stuff than just standard plains game. At the end of the day, confidence in your equipment is key and if that’s slicks then go have a blast and kill some stuff and post pics here afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks[emoji106]

Comment

Axis with brass inserts are great heavy hitters IF spined correctly.

Arrow flight is number 1 on the list. Followed shortly by integrity of the whole arrow system. After that mass/weight of the whole arrow matters. After that are several more things that help in edge cases etc. But you’re on the right track. Heavier arrow that is tough as nails tipped with a robust broadhead. Get them flying laser straight and you would have no issues on some seriously large game.

Comment

What are you hunting? Most African plains game animals are between the size of a whitetail and an elk so you might not need to change anything.

Comment

all plains game, biggest will be kudu, right now with factory inserts I am at 432grains.
                    I ordered some brass inserts and will see how everything flys.

Comment

Originally posted by JDALEX View Post
                      all plains game, biggest will be kudu, right now with factory inserts I am at 432grains.
                      I ordered some brass inserts and will see how everything flys.
                      If your arrows tune o.k. with a brass 50 grain brass insert you should be fine. When I hunted South Africa I didn't know anything about arrow weight and went with 400 grain arrows. I got pass-throughs on everything but a kudu and only because the arrow hit the off shoulder. The kudu still went down within a 100 yards.

Comment

I'm in the process (aka playing around) of beefing up my arrow weight, just for the heck of it to see if it improves penetration on pigs. You can get a pack of field points from 3 rivers or ethics archery, that has a variety of grain points, then you know what size insert or outsert to use. I'm working with ranch fairy, trying to figure this out. He has videos on YouTube that are helpful.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X