Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oktx View Post
    Did he say this mess is the teachers fault? It’s tough to read.
    That's the way I took it in a nutshell.

I don't think he passed English. He certainly didn't pass the 'punctuation' six weeks!

Comment

Everyone agrees this new bill that was passed is not a fix to school finance. There are a lot of smoke and mirrors in it. The state has raised its contribution to education by about $11 Billion. You will hear a lot about that from the governor and the legislature. However, about half of that will go to reducing property tax money that the school received. It will be a break for the property owners, and I am all for that. But it really means about $6 billion in added funds to schools. And, the state is also cutting financial programs like the high school allotment and other programs. Bottom line is that schools will get very little additional money to work with. When you add in increased enrollment and unfunded mandates, it becomes even less. Divide that among the 1100 or so districts and most schools will receive just enough money to fund the mandated teacher pay raises and not much else. Salary and benefits make up about 80% of any school's budget. It will even mean that after paying teachers, some schools will receive less money than they have in the past. Football stadiums and other huge expenses are a district decision and rely on additional taxes through bonds, which local residents choose to pay for. Talk to your local school board about that.

Comment

Why in the cornbread hell do schools, even small schools need assistant principles secretary for assistant principles, freaking paid police officers on every campus. Start whooping that arse, expelling kids and requiring parents to take responsibility for their hethens. And stop providing free lunches even in the summer, we might not have to raise taxes. Stop building huge high school stadiums, and putting turf down on every football field around. Bermuda grass works great and it’s native to Texas. Lol

Comment

I sure hope they get that raise, my wife is a teacher and I need a new trolling motor.

Comment

Great questions! I suggest you talk to your local school board because all schools are not like that. We have no assistant principals, or their secretaries. Our deputy constables are paid through a federal school safety grant. We use the paddle on a regular basis. The law wont allow us to expel a kid unless he has committed a felony against another person. Cant do much about requiring parents to take responsibility for their kids. Free lunches come from the federal government. We don't build huge stadiums or have turf fields. I suggest you talk to your school board if you are unhappy with your district, because it isn't "public school" thing, it is your local district.

Comment

At the district I work with, teachers were told at the EOY assembly by the school board president they would be getting a 3-4 % increase. He did not get much applause. Our district has added two new asst superintendents and others in central office administration over the past two years. The state legislature screwed up when they gave the extra money for raises to the districts. House speaker Dennis Bonnen wanted it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                At the district I work with, teachers were told at the EOY assembly by the school board president they would be getting a 3-4 % increase. He did not get much applause. Our district has added two new asst superintendents and others in central office administration over the past two years. The state legislature screwed up when they gave the extra money for raises to the districts. House speaker Dennis Bonnen wanted it that way.
                The new bill/law was just signed yesterday. What they told you at the end of the year has nothing to do with it. Schools will be required to use 30% of the new money for raises. I cant even begin to tell you how much that will be, though!

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                  The new bill/law was just signed yesterday. What they told you at the end of the year has nothing to do with it. Schools will be required to use 30% of the new money for raises. I cant even begin to tell you how much that will be, though!

Yeah but what worries anyone in education is that they will use this and only this as the “raise”. If it’s 3% then fine, but add on what you would have gave not including what that bill just added. Anything less then 6% in my eyes will be a slap in the face for my district.

Comment

I agree. Teachers are indeed a great profession.

Comment

Originally posted by rfroese View Post
                      Not sure where all of the other the figures are coming from but according to this article from TEA the minimum state salary schedule got an increase of around $5500.

https://tea.texas.gov/interiorpage_w...hem0c19viQj3ac
                      That's what I saw too...the schools that pay state base or a little above should be getting a good raise...everyone else, not so much

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes to the raises and yes to a SALES tax increase...not property tax

Comment

Originally posted by coachk View Post
                          That's what I saw too...the schools that pay state base or a little above should be getting a good raise...everyone else, not so much

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          Guess that depends on how much the local school board cares about their teachers. They should be able to pass that raise along at the same rate to all teachers but I know many school districts who pay over the state base will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                            It better be toward the $3k end on top of what the district should be giving us before the bill passed. That talk of $5k raise is where the districts should be looking to meet. All these teachers walking out of the classrooms all over the US and Texas teachers being paid in the bottom 3rd of the 50 states. This should scare bigger districts to do the right thing. When this country puts importance into education and not pay $200 Million sports contracts it’d be a lot better for the US. If nothing else find a insurance that doesn’t cost me $1k a month and it’s pure **** to begin with. Then maybe that $150 a month raise will mean something.

Rant over...where’s my beer!

Amen to that. Sad thing is this "raise " will probably barely cover the increase in health insurance that we will see.

Comment

Our district announced today a whopping $582 increase in annual compensation, or $48.50 a month. Bull?$&@!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                                Her district already figured the allotment per employee? Wow, we won’t know till late summer at earliest but are not expecting more than $1200.00. Fairly certain our increase in insurance will exceed that. Smoke and mirrors by Dan and Greg.

Yes sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X