No announcement yet.

Water Softener killing grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your water softener is tied to the inlet of your house then more than likely everything runs through it. My old house was that way but the sprinkler system for the yard was tied in before the softener.

Comment

Just get a hardness test kit off amazon and test the water at the spigot compared to your kitchen faucet.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
        Water softener should not be tied to sprinklers.
        And never to the hose bibs. This one must have been added after original construction.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
          Salt from a softener will not help your grass at all.
          The University is starting to use these are they are great.
          Vulcan descaler :http://vulcan-scale-free.com/
          I went with this one, haven't tied it in yet

Residential, ScaleBlaster®, Salt-free electronic water treatment to remove lime scale from pipes and fixtures.

Comment

Yea I’m sure it was put in after construction.

Comment

Seems like the water softener would have an isolation valve for service. Turn it off and see if you have water at the spigots.

Comment

Will try that thanks fellas.

Comment

As far as I know, the water in the softener is not friendly to the lawn. The lawn does not like salty water. My advice is that you should ask your neighbors how to get the lawn as good as they are. The water they use is probably not from a water softener or has undergone some sort of treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                    Seems like the water softener would have an isolation valve for service. Turn it off and see if you have water at the spigots.
                    Most systems have a bypass valve. Or a loop that can be opened to run water around the unit incase of leaks or need of unit being removed. It all depends on how the house is plumbed some the whole house is hooked to the soft water some are not best way to know is like others have said test the kitchen sink then compare the test to the one you do on the outside water.

Comment

Where is your back charge drain line. That is the salty water not the water that goes through to the house.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                        I have a feeling my WS is killing my grass, I bought the home a year ago and the WS came with the house. I never had to water the grass since it always looked good. But during the summers when I start watering the grass looks worse than before. My neighbors to both sides have nice grass but mine looks like bad... I know the grass is always greener on the other side. What do y’all think?

What time are you watering your grass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by StephenTomas View Post
                          As far as I know, the water in the softener is not friendly to the lawn. The lawn does not like salty water. My advice is that you should ask your neighbors how to get the lawn as good as they are. The water they use is probably not from a water softener or has undergone some sort of treatment.
                          Water from a water softener is not “salty.” That’s a myth. Soft water is not good on lawns because of what a softener takes out of the water, not anything it adds to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Watering grass thru a water softener is basically watering it with salt water, I’m doing a sprinkler system and will be hooking to my water line before the softener

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                              Watering grass thru a water softener is basically watering it with salt water, I’m doing a sprinkler system and will be hooking to my water line before the softener
                              Not true. A water softener adds very little salt to the water, certainly not enough to kill grass. The vast majority of salt/brine used in the regeneration process ends up going down the drain during the regeneration process.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                                Not true. A water softener adds very little salt to the water, certainly not enough to kill grass. The vast majority of salt/brine used in the regeneration process ends up going down the drain during the regeneration process.

Ive heard this a bunch and can not find my self to believe it. We didn’t have a softener for the first year and I could taste salt as soon as we added one. A guy I work with had someone look at his pool and was told he needed to add a little salt, then after a conversation the guy found out he didn’t have a salt system and the only thing that could of happened is the fact that his pool is filled after it goes thru his softener..

Comment

Working...
                                X