Water Softener killing grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Softener killing grass?

I have a feeling my WS is killing my grass, I bought the home a year ago and the WS came with the house. I never had to water the grass since it always looked good. But during the summers when I start watering the grass looks worse than before. My neighbors to both sides have nice grass but mine looks like bad... I know the grass is always greener on the other side. What do y’all think?

Your water softener will definitely not help your grass. I was talking with the plumbing company we use about getting a water softener recently and they told me they would plumb it so that line to the sprinkler system was separate from the line going through the water softener.
    I don't remember the specifics but they definitely said you do not want to water your lawn with water going through the softener system.

Comment

You think your hose bibs/sprinklers are attached to the softener?

Comment

Salt from a softener will not help your grass at all.
        The University is starting to use these are they are great.
        Vulcan descaler :http://vulcan-scale-free.com/

Comment

I wouldn’t think my outdoor faucets would be connected to the WS but I read on google that it has happened to others. I might just have to switch the WS to off while watering or pull the whole system out.
          Last edited by STX_Shooter; 06-10-2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
            I wouldn’t think my outdoor faucets would be connected to the WS but I read on google that it has happened to others. I might just have to switch true WS to off while watering or pull the whole system out.
            Is the house older or fairly new?

Comment

Typically your outside hose bibs are not tied into the water softener. Do you have the same kind of grass as your neighbors, do they fertilize and you don't, spray for insects etc. I would ask them what there lawn care routine is. I have the same routine Winterizer in the fall weed and feed in the spring, regular fertilizer late June early July. I put granulated Triazicide down in the spring with my weed and feed.
              Attached Files

Comment

Home was built in 07.

Comment

I have fertilized twice within the year, I don’t cut the grass low. I have never seen my neighbors fertilize or do much more than water.

Comment

Let’s see a pic of the grass, hard to believe your sprinkler system is hooked up to your water softener.

Comment

Water softener should not be tied to sprinklers.

Comment

I don’t have a sprinkler system, sorry if I wasn’t clear about that. I water with a hose and attachments.

Comment

I’m not at home, maybe I can get my wife to send one later.

Comment

Most newer houses have a soft water loop separating hose bibs and the sprinklers. WS installed by "the guy" driving around the neighborhood dropping off fliers are a crapshoot...

Comment

So glad I saw this discussion. I was about to install a water softener just for my grass.... I installed underground drip irrigation and don't want the weep holes to clog from my extremely hard water. I'm going with the descaler now...

Comment

Working...
                              X