• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post

Did you have any luck?
    No sir.

I was out til 2am

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
      so ran some numbers on a Ke/momentum calculator, negligible difference in the two weights. Both still suitable to kill any game animal on the planet, that's right, the entire planet, let that soak in. Sounds like anything about 500 grains is wasted.

The information I gleaned out of this post was the speed difference I would get by dropping the weight.

530 grains @ 259 fps = Ke 78.93 ft-lbs and Momentum .609 slugs
      505 grains @ 267 fps = Ke 79.92 ft-lbs and Momentum .599 slugs
      Something is wrong in your calculation. The ke will never be higher with a lighter arrow.

If you are basing a calculated off of a true chrono reading of the 530gr. Then you cannot use that number to back down. Calculators cannot adjust for efficiency.

With a perfect shot that arrow may or may not kill every animal on the planet. Most places you Hunt Cape buffalo require around 700 to 750 minimum to even hunt them. Must be even more to hunt Elephant
      Last edited by enewman; 06-08-2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

here is an example of arrows being shot and tested. as you can see ke is always going up. this is why I'm saying your calculations are incorrect.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is what I’ve learned from all the post about speed & weight. I wanted a to shoot faster with a heavier arrow. My fix, bought a faster bow. 496gr Goldtip Pierce shooting 286fps. Plenty fast & plenty of momentum. I’ve also learned I don’t pay much attention to ke anymore cause momentum is what’s driving the arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
            here is an example of arrows being shot and tested. as you can see ke is always going up. this is why I'm saying your calculations are incorrect.
            Speed increased in my calculation, it’s decreasing in yours.

PNL

Comment

Your bow generates a fixed amount of energy at a given draw weight & length. A lighter arrow will absorb less of that bow's stored energy and a heavier one will absorb more of it. So even though the lighter arrow is faster than the heavier arrow, the lighter arrow's KE will ALWAYS be lower than the heavier arrow's due to the difference in absorbed energy.

Comment

Then why don’t the fill the center of arrows with lead ?

Comment

Originally posted by BernieH View Post
                  Your bow generates a fixed amount of energy at a given draw weight & length. A lighter arrow will absorb less of that bow's stored energy and a heavier one will absorb more of it. So even though the lighter arrow is faster than the heavier arrow, the lighter arrow's KE will ALWAYS be lower than the heavier arrow's due to the difference in absorbed energy.
                  That's not true at all. Go run the numbers yourself, I posted what you need.

so you're saying if a 500 grain arrow @ 300 fps has less Ke than a 550 grains @ 200 fps? Hell, 550 grains @ 285 fps is less Ke than the 500 @ 300 fps, just below, but still less. Run the numbers if you don't believe me.

I think some of y'all are so OCD about heavy arrows you ignore the energy you gain from the speed of the arrow. Now, I'm no speed freak, it's about balance for me and like Sleepy said, it's finding that balance that's right for each individual.

PNL

Comment

Leave that 125 on there and blow through the elk.

Comment

My strategy is heavy arrows. To comp for aggressive drops after 40 yards, I use a fixed 2 pin and 1 adjustable for exact yardage. My arrow weight is normally around 650. I just recently killed 2 stags and an elk with this setup, and pass-thru on all. The elk went through both shoulders.

Comment

Speed increased in my calculation, it’s decreasing in yours.

PNL
                        ? Top arrow is the lightest and fastest it gets slower cause arrow gets heavier

Comment

That's not true at all. Go run the numbers yourself, I posted what you need.

so you're saying if a 500 grain arrow @ 300 fps has less Ke than a 550 grains @ 200 fps? Hell, 550 grains @ 285 fps is less Ke than the 500 @ 300 fps, just below, but still less. Run the numbers if you don't believe me.

I think some of y'all are so OCD about heavy arrows you ignore the energy you gain from the speed of the arrow. Now, I'm no speed freak, it's about balance for me and like Sleepy said, it's finding that balance that's right for each individual.

PNL
                          You need to look at what you are saying. You are incorrect. Your example is so far at there it’s not even funny. If you shoot a 500 and then a 550 from the same bow there will never ever be a 100 fps difference. The chart I posted is what happens when shot. Not a calculation. You can just google it. I’m sure you will find tons of articles showing what in saying.

Comment

data on efficiency

all numbers are shot through a chron. no calculations were done to find fps. if you will notice as arrow weight increases fps go down but KE increases. if you want to see where your calculator stops working use the first arrow and match fps. then start changing the weight. you will see at around 500gr a calculator is no longer valid.
                            Last edited by enewman; 06-08-2019, 06:47 PM.

Comment

You need to look at what you are saying. You are incorrect. Your example is so far at there it’s not even funny. If you shoot a 500 and then a 550 from the same bow there will never ever be a 100 fps difference. The chart I posted is what happens when shot. Not a calculation. You can just google it. I’m sure you will find tons of articles showing what in saying.
                              https://1drv.ms/w/s!AtVqxLy9AZcGkgak-rih-etDDQar

data on efficiency

all numbers are shot through a chron. no calculations were done to find fps. if you will notice as arrow weight increases fps go down but KE increases. if you want to see where your calculator stops working use the first arrow and match fps. then start changing the weight. you will see at around 500gr a calculator is no longer valid.
                              You took my bait, just messing with you as I know this is your #1 obsession.

Enjoyed it, have a great day and shoot what you're confident with!

Comment

You took my bait, just messing with you as I know this is your #1 obsession.

Enjoyed it, have a great day and shoot what you're confident with!
                                *** hole hahahahah I'm drinking a little whiskey what is you drinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X