Arrow Speed vs. Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Speed vs. Weight

I'm shooting an Elite E35 29" DL 70 lbs.

530 grain arrow, including 125 grain broadhead.

259 FPS

I'm thinking my arrow is a touch heavy and considering going to a 100 grain broadhead to get a bump in speed.

Thoughts and opinions on this, will the 25 grains make that much of a difference?

Thanks.

Leave it alone

Mine:

Mathews z2
    70#
    28" draw

388 grains - 284 fps

476 grains - 248 fps

Comment

I’ve shown guys this video for years. It’s probably the most informative 10 minutes you’ll get on arrow weight and velocity. I’ve rewatched it a number of times.

Comment

25 grains will give you about 8 FPS, IDK if that is enough for you or not. You will have to make that decision

Comment

Would you rather be hit by a ping pong ball going 50 mph or a softball going 30 mph...

I like heavy arrows I cannot lie [emoji846]

Comment

Arrow Speed vs. Weight

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
            Would you rather be hit by a ping pong ball going 50 mph or a softball going 30 mph...

Mine are over 500 grains.

I’m working on a 25+% FOC build. Not sure what it’ll weigh or how fast it’ll go but should hit like Mike... [emoji854]

This was supposed to be an edit not a quote. Sorry

Comment

Roll with what you got if the spine is good and the setup is tuning well. The speed isn’t an issue. Decent speed for that weight, great setup imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot a 555 out of my 65# e35 at 28” and just bust stuff up, wouldn’t think of changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the heaviest I've ever used and didn't expect the weight to be as much as it ended up.

I was maxing my draw weight at 73 lbs and had to drop it down because of some neck issues, so trying to get my speed/trajectory back up, easiest fix was to reduce the BH weight. In fact, I would like to drop the weight a little more.

I've built this arrow and bow for an elk hunt, so trying to maximize my distance. a 450 grain arrow will be no problem at 30 yards, but I'm more concerned with 60 yards even better out to 75.

Personally I like them skinny and fast...

Comment

These kind of examples really don’t apply or make any sense. Lol

We are taking about arrow weight in “grains” not softballs, bowling balls or pickup trucks....Not tons, pounds or feathers.

Softballs do hurt but arrows/broadheads kill.

So a good example would be....

Would someone rather be hit by a faster 400 grain arrow tipped with a Magnus Buzzcut or a slower 500 grain arrow with a Magnus Buzzcut. I’m betting everyone would say heck no...neither!!!!!

I’m just messing with ya. Lol!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                      I'm shooting an Elite E35 29" DL 70 lbs.

530 grain arrow, including 125 grain broadhead.

259 FPS

I'm thinking my arrow is a touch heavy and considering going to a 100 grain broadhead to get a bump in speed.

Thoughts and opinions on this, will the 25 grains make that much of a difference?

Thanks.
                      Why would you think a 530gr arrow is to heavy. Dropping 25gr is not going to matter for speed gain. Maybe 8fps Max.

Depending on how well your arrow is set up the drop in 25gr tip might cause poor flight. All depends on set up.

One thing for sure is penetration will decrease. That is physics 101.

If you want to drop weight so you can gain speed, you need to drop 50gr or more. Anything less is not worth it.

Comment

so ran some numbers on a Ke/momentum calculator, negligible difference in the two weights. Both still suitable to kill any game animal on the planet, that's right, the entire planet, let that soak in. Sounds like anything about 500 grains is wasted.

The information I gleaned out of this post was the speed difference I would get by dropping the weight.

530 grains @ 259 fps = Ke 78.93 ft-lbs and Momentum .609 slugs
                        505 grains @ 267 fps = Ke 79.92 ft-lbs and Momentum .599 slugs

Comment

I think it’s ok to find a happy medium between punch and trajectory. Find what works for you and roll with it. I personally like to keep my velocity over 280 just for trajectory reasons. With a 450gr arrow, I get that speed and still plenty of penetration. I’ve only had one arrow that hasn’t passed through in 4 years with this set up and that was on a big boar hog who made it about 30 yards with nothing but the fletching holding it in on the other side.

Everybody’s happy medium is different. Find yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                            These kind of examples really don’t apply or make any sense. Lol

We are taking about arrow weight in “grains” not softballs, bowling balls or pickup trucks....Not tons, pounds or feathers.

Softballs do hurt but arrows/broadheads kill.

So a good example would be....

Would someone rather be hit by a faster 400 grain arrow tipped with a Magnus Buzzcut or a slower 500 grain arrow with a Magnus Buzzcut. I’m betting everyone would say heck no...neither!!!!!

I’m just messing with ya. Lol!!!
                            [emoji1360]
                            This is funny to me.
                            I'm hinting tonight with my 504 grain arrow topped with a Magnus....

Wait for it....

150 grain Stinger

Comment

[emoji1360]
                              This is funny to me.
                              I'm hinting tonight with my 504 grain arrow topped with a Magnus....

Wait for it....

150 grain Stinger

Did you have any luck?

Comment

Working...
                              X