Fishing etiquette....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
    I think the poor etiquette is a product of a sense of entitlement, our changing culture due to the beginning of overcrowding, and 'why not me, everyone else does it'. it a shame. I've been wadefishing exclusively for speckled trout over 30 years, and get to fish 80-120 days per year... up until jan 1 or 2018, I released every trout that I thought had any chance of surviving....I brought enough home that were tore up from trebles to have all the fish we could ever eat.... last few years I got so exhausted from the crowds(I only fish during the week), poor etiquette, and having to listen to everyone's radios out on the water I started filleting every fish I caught.. the 1st few 27-31" trout I filleted made me sick to my stomach, and I had a hard time sleeping for a few nights.. now I don't want to leave any for the masses.. I know it's not right, but I just can't release a big trout for some **** to catch later, out of a boat he financed for 20 years, or his dad's, knowing he never learned how to find a fish on his own, and only throws croakers. then shows his catch off on some social media page and tells his coworkers he caught them on topwaters...... yeah, I know way too many youngsters like that....

I miss the days when I could land 6-8 27+" trout per year in east matty, another 10 or so from Baffin.... those days will never return

all I can say is wow..... did you read what you wrote before you posted?

Comment

I think the poor etiquette is a product of a sense of entitlement, our changing culture due to the beginning of overcrowding, and 'why not me, everyone else does it'. it a shame. I've been wadefishing exclusively for speckled trout over 30 years, and get to fish 80-120 days per year... up until jan 1 or 2018, I released every trout that I thought had any chance of surviving....I brought enough home that were tore up from trebles to have all the fish we could ever eat.... last few years I got so exhausted from the crowds(I only fish during the week), poor etiquette, and having to listen to everyone's radios out on the water I started filleting every fish I caught.. the 1st few 27-31" trout I filleted made me sick to my stomach, and I had a hard time sleeping for a few nights.. now I don't want to leave any for the masses.. I know it's not right, but I just can't release a big trout for some **** to catch later, out of a boat he financed for 20 years, or his dad's, knowing he never learned how to find a fish on his own, and only throws croakers. then shows his catch off on some social media page and tells his coworkers he caught them on topwaters...... yeah, I know way too many youngsters like that....

I miss the days when I could land 6-8 27+" trout per year in east matty, another 10 or so from Baffin.... those days will never return
      Hypocrisy at its finest. This might just be one of the most self indulging post ever.

Comment

My buddy and I were fishing offshore at a rig. Not another boat in sight which is not surprising as we were several miles offshore and there are literally hundreds of places you could fish. We weren't catching any fish when lo and behold this big boat rolls up. Immediately I am irritated. They go up current and the next thing you know a bunch of divers jump in the water. I'm really angry now and hoping I can hook one of those Rascals and land him. We are down current of the rig and catching nothing when all of a sudden we start hooking up. Within a few minutes we have a limit of snapper and an assortment of other fish. Turns out those divers push the fish out from the rig and into our baits.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats the dumbest ***** i ever read

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
            Those dang youngsters getting out and enjoying a day on the water and catching fish how they want to, shame on them. That's just terrible. If they can't catch a fish like you do they don't deserve anything you get to enjoy.

Seriously though, what does it matter to you how they catch a fish or post on social media? Is your life that bad that things like that eat you up? I've been fishing for many years and catch fish with lures, live bait, cut bait, on a fly rod...whatever I'm feeling that day. And at the end of the day I dont give a rat's azz what someone thinks of it. I'm enjoying a day on the water in my boat that is non of your business how I obtained.

My boys are 10, 7, and 4. They haven't exactly mastered the lure strategy yet. I dont hesitate to let them soak a little live bait if it means they have a huge smile on their faces at the end of the day, and I really dont care what you think about that.

Point is, to each their own how they go and catch a fish. This thread was about the negative attitudes towards others out on the water, and after reading your post, sounds like it's about you.

Who cares how someone catches a fish, theres more than one way to do it, your way ain't the only way, get over it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
            But the important question is this...did you finance your boat for longer than the high and mighty financial advisers on social media approve of? and don't forget...did you learn how to find a fish on your own

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            I saw something similar on Sabine once. Boat rolls in on some waders...right between two of them. One of the waders threw his arms in the air like "WTH".(I was too far away to hear words) This BIG guy jumped off the boat and went after the smaller of the two waders and that little ******* beat that big man like it was his favorite hobby. It wasn't tough for that big man to get ahold of that little wading fellow but it was **** sure hard for him to let go of him.
            Those are the encounters that I would pay money to watch 🤣

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
            all I can say is wow..... did you read what you wrote before you posted?
            I think it sounded much better in his head than it did in print

Comment

What a *****!

Comment

Right there with ya man! I now kill and eat every 15+pound LMB I catch! Good eats!

Kidding of course. But dang bud, I can only hope you are just being sarcastic.

Comment

I can understand some of the frustration with the old timers vs new guys so to speak. People's spots are not "theirs" anymore with the advanced technology. Not that any spot belongs to any certain person. For years people sink brushpiles on lakes and it only takes some time looking and you can find a lot of them. With new maps and depthfinders, you can simply follow contours until you find what you are looking for on most lakes.

Lots of folks are mad that these youngsters are in their spots and it was easy for them, they didn't have to "put in the work" to find the spot, it all out there on the internet and updated maps. My buddy borrowed my Navionics card and went to Cedar Creek Sunday-Thursday, neither of us have ever been there and they caught 60-100 each day by just using a map chip and finding the offshore spots. It's getting that easy.

I have gone into an area practicing and get covered up with boats and they copying what I am doing. At that point, If I have other areas with fish, I will enjoy that spot and stick as many fish as I want but I practice catch and release only.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                    Maybe TP&W should have a required class to attend to renew/license boats.
                    You ever had some a-hole do something stupid around you on the freeway? He most likely has a drivers license.

We don't need more government fees to be able to hit the lake. It won't fix anything. A-holes will be a-holes.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                      You ever had some a-hole do something stupid around you on the freeway? He most likely has a drivers license.

We don't need more government fees to be able to hit the lake. It won't fix anything. A-holes will be a-holes.
                      lol

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post

Word

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          I can understand some of the frustration with the old timers vs new guys so to speak. People's spots are not "theirs" anymore with the advanced technology. Not that any spot belongs to any certain person. For years people sink brushpiles on lakes and it only takes some time looking and you can find a lot of them. With new maps and depthfinders, you can simply follow contours until you find what you are looking for on most lakes.

Lots of folks are mad that these youngsters are in their spots and it was easy for them, they didn't have to "put in the work" to find the spot, it all out there on the internet and updated maps. My buddy borrowed my Navionics card and went to Cedar Creek Sunday-Thursday, neither of us have ever been there and they caught 60-100 each day by just using a map chip and finding the offshore spots. It's getting that easy.
                          I don't have an issue with that ^ too much...I mean, once you drop a brush pile in public waters, it becomes everyones brush pile to use. The issue I have with people on the water is the fly by's who buzz past you way too close, just so they can mark a spot, while trying to be inconspicuous (as if everyone doesn't know what they're doing), the folks who come within easy casting distance to potluck your hole and start chunking your direction, the idiots who zip in between a boat/waders and the shoreline just because they don't want to take a few seconds to give a wide berth (seriously, it is literally seconds added on your run...quit being a DB and go around), and the guides who pull up and demand you move off of "their" brush pile. I have fished with an elderly gentleman who has sunk hundreds of piles on Rayburn, and he gets a kick out of the idiot guides who pull up to a pile that he sunk that we are fishing and try to move him off of "their" pile I can't type his conversations with them on here, it would include way too many *'s

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                            I have always found that a big weight that accidentally snaps off the line when casting seems to make rude people give you more space.
                            this^^^^ a 2 oz. pyramid will go thru the hull of a 30 foot sport fisher.....

Comment

Oh man I forgot about the guys who anchor in the boat cuts. The Galveston North Jetty is horrible. People are anchored up right in the middle of the cut with a smokin tide, and they get mad when you buzz by them. Its literally the only cut through that jetty, and it is a very long boat ride to go around the end of the jetty. In their eyes though your a real **** because you didn't idle by them. In my eyes I'm not risking tides pushin my boat into rocks because you anchored in the middle of the boat cut!

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                                Oh man I forgot about the guys who anchor in the boat cuts. The Galveston North Jetty is horrible. People are anchored up right in the middle of the cut with a smokin tide, and they get mad when you buzz by them. Its literally the only cut through that jetty, and it is a very long boat ride to go around the end of the jetty. In their eyes though your a real **** because you didn't idle by them. In my most sane peoples eyes I'm not risking tides pushin my boat into rocks because you anchored in the middle of the boat cut!
                                FIFY

Comment

Working...
                                X