Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etxag7 View Post
    If kids can't read by the time they graduate I don't think it's the teacher's fault. …...
    How did the kids advance grades?

I know this is not the point of the thread...but that statement amazed me.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
      Those who are whining about higher taxes need to get a better job so you can afford them. 😂
      Screw that, welfare for me :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post

I know this is not the point of the thread...but that statement amazed me.....lol
        You can basically only hold them back one time in elementary, not sure about middle or high school. Teachers are told in a lot of places, no failing grades on report cards.

Comment

This is an easy one. In my HS you just had to be a big enough jackass the teacher didn't want to have to deal with you 2 years in a row

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            You can basically only hold them back one time in elementary, not sure about middle or high school. Teachers are told in a lot of places, no failing grades on report cards.
            This is unfortunately true. I found out that kids were being allowed to graduate without knowing how to read simultaneous to learning about how hard it is to fail them.

Let me explain. I have a college friend that is a teacher. One night she is regaling us with stories from her school and drops the following onto us.

After career day, the students were told to write down their goals. Instructions were given to be specific; write down where you wanted to go to college, what you intended to major in, etc in order to reach your desired profession. A student walked to the back of the class and handed in her assignment. It said that she wanted to be a doctor, and attend "Race" University to get there. My friend asked what she meant by "Race" University? The student replied "Rice" University. My friend told her that "Rice" is spelled with an "I" not an "A". This was a junior in HS. One that hoped to get into Rice, one of the most academically rigorous institutions in the country, but didn't even know how to spell it. This was not in a developmentally challenged classroom and the student was a native speaker of English.

We asked why she didn't fail her? It is because of what Mudslinger said. You can only fail so many. She said she had to fail her quota with people that didn't take the test, didn't show up etc. She couldn't fail anymore students.

I am 100% against a pay raise to teachers as a means of improving our education system. It is in such shambles giving a teacher a $400 a month raise isn't going to fix it. Pay should increase every year on par with inflation. Paying teachers a higher actual wage instead of an inflation adjusted one will only increase property tax with no net benefit to the student unless we have serious reform.

Comment

Why not just deal with illegal immigration and stop all.the free loading of American tax payers. Lack of having to foot the bill
              for illegals is more than enough to compensate teachers.and then some.

Comment

I put this on the other thread I started and I am going to put it here:

I will tell you this, I did not look at salaries in 1975 when I wanted to coach. Started at a base pay rate of $8600 per year and $50 per month for driving a bus with 80 screaming kids every morning and $1500 coaching stipend. My 3rd and last year to coach/teach at a salary of the bus/stipend and that salary with another coach keeping count of the time we were at school, at a game or whatever that had to do with our kids, WE averaged .52 cents per hour for that year!

I left after 3 years for the private sector and got back into the teaching field as a Teaching Assistant/Para Professional in Dec of 2102. got my Elementary Certificate in the summer of 2015, could not even get an interview being 63/64, got my Special Ed certification in the summer of 2016 and got hired as the SEBSS teacher at Ramirez Elementary in Lubbock. Taught there until last year when I was transferred to Wester Elementary to start a new program at the school for ED kids. Next year will be my last, but I would still like a raise.

AND, I still challenge anyone to come and stand and work in my shoes for a week and tell me we have enough pay for what we do. I challenge you!!!!!!!!! My salary is slightly over $45,000 per year, but as most teachers have said, I spend a lot of money out of my own pocket for these kids.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                  Those who are whining about higher taxes need to get a better job so you can afford them. 😂
                  Or maybe the teachers are the ones who need to get better jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter58 View Post
                    Or maybe the teachers are the ones who need to get better jobs
                    I guess it went WAAAY over your head....😂😂😂😂😂

Comment

I will tell you this, I did not look at salaries in 1975 when I wanted to coach. Started at a base pay rate of $8600 per year and $50 per month for driving a bus with 80 screaming kids every morning and $1500 coaching stipend. My 3rd and last year to coach/teach at a salary of the bus/stipend and that salary with another coach keeping count of the time we were at school, at a game or whatever that had to do with our kids, WE averaged .52 cents per hour for that year!

I left after 3 years for the private sector and got back into the teaching field as a Teaching Assistant/Para Professional in Dec of 2102. got my Elementary Certificate in the summer of 2015, could not even get an interview being 63/64, got my Special Ed certification in the summer of 2016 and got hired as the SEBSS teacher at Ramirez Elementary in Lubbock. Taught there until last year when I was transferred to Wester Elementary to start a new program at the school for ED kids. Next year will be my last, but I would still like a raise.

AND, I still challenge anyone to come and stand and work in my shoes for a week and tell me we have enough pay for what we do. I challenge you!!!!!!!!! My salary is slightly over $45,000 per year, but as most teachers have said, I spend a lot of money out of my own pocket for these kids.
                      If this thread was a class, I'd give you an A++ for self pity.

They say the kids are the whiny ones! Ol'man showin'em how its done!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by BuckSmasher; 04-05-2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I call bull on making $0.52 an hour.

$8600 + $1500 + (9 months X $50) = $10,550. $10,550 / $0.52 = 20,288.46 hours.

There are only 8,760 hours in a normal year and 8,784 in a leap year.

You aren’t a math teacher are you?
                        Last edited by aggieman08; 04-05-2019, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
                          I call bull on making $0.52 an hour.

$8600 + $1500 + (9 months X $50) = $10,550. $10,550 / $0.52 = 20,288.46 hours.

There are only 8,760 hours in a normal year and 8,784 in a leap year.

Your aren’t a math teacher are you?
                          And you are a smart *** aren’t you!

I did not check his math, just what I was told but at that time I really did not care what I made, I at the time loved what I did!

Comment

And you are a smart *** aren’t you!

I did not check his math, just what I was told but at that time I really did not care what I made, I at the time loved what I did!
                            Just trying to help you not tell anyone else that.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
                              Just trying to help you not tell anyone else that.
                              Thanks and I see your point. Still not a great pay per hour though.

Comment

I thought the lottery was going to teacher pay raises. My wife has taught for 35 years. She loves the kids, and loves her job, but pay is too low, and insurance is too high.

Comment

Working...
                                X