Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcamp View Post
    i agree whole heartedly with the “ if you don’t like your job, get out of the profession” mentality.. absolutely

Question for you- what Does you or your spouse not being able to find a job in your college major/not choosing to find a job in your college major have anything to do with whether teachers deserve just compensation for the work they do? Or maybe I’m confused.... i didn’t read much before or after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a job in my major. Didn't like it and it didn't pay enough.

My point is my gripe was the same is theirs. I did something more than moan about it.

Comment

I am a teacher and a coach. The only reason i feel like teachers deserve a raise is that in a ton of places now, teachers are having to “parent” kids before teaching curriculum in order for a classroom to function(do not confuse this with classroom management). Having to “raise people’s children” before they can ever even get to building relationships/teaching content is a issue. Yes, there has always been misbehavior. This is not what i am talking about just to clarify.

Do you teach in a good school district, or one where the parents are not educated and don't place value on it?

I mentioned in a previous post. We are changing rapidly as a society. A lot of it not good IMO. That is being bore out in our education system. How is a ten percent pay raise for teachers going to affect that?

Comment

Originally posted by HC Sniper View Post
        You must be OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!!!! if you think every school teacher is a liberal. I have taught for 33 years and I can promise you that I am more conservative to you will ever dream of being.
        Reading comprehension is your friend. I said every teacher I know.. obviously I don't know all of them..

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post

My point is my gripe was the same is theirs. I did something more than moan about it.

Makes sense... i don’t disagree at all.

Most people teach because they feel it is a calling. It’s what they feel like their purpose is. Doesn’t feel good when your doing what you’ve always set out to do as a PROFESSIONAL and it’s barely enough to pay the bills. Think that’s why some people have a hard time just getting out and doing something else. They feel like teaching is what they are suppose to do...

Maybe lol.

Comment

Don't have any.

I'm not anti-teacher. My life was changed for the better by some of them. As individuals some of them are the salt of the earth. Maybe you and your wife are some of them.

As a whole the education system in this country (and the country itself) is in shambles. Kids are graduating barely able to read. I don't know what all the answers are but it isn't a pay bump for teachers. My teachers were all fine with what they made. Would they have liked to had more money? Sure but it was part and parcel with what they chose to do. A lot of them had husbands that made them wealthy and they didn't really need the money.

Teachers make darn good money for the schedule they work. Period. If you dream of expensive european vacations,central asian sheep hunts and getting tanned on your yacht, teaching is a poor career choice.

If kids can't read by the time they graduate I don't think it's the teacher's fault. Teachers can only do so much with each individual student and can't dedicate the amount of time to little Johnny to make sure he can read. The lack of productive members of society coming out of school ultimately falls on the parents, not on the teachers or education system. I have a great respect for teachers and I am not a teacher nor am I married to a teacher. I believe they are underpaid and overworked. They are expected to raise children now because parents won't step up and do it.

Comment

You lacked passion, maybe that’s not their issue. My wife will probably play the system before she retires. She’s passionate about her job, but she’ll likely jump into admin before it’s all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by HC Sniper View Post
                BuckSmasher :
                Open invitation for you to come teach my class for a week. Any time you want.

Second thought. Pull your children out of school and teach them yourself at home. We will see if they are ready for college or the real world at age 18.

I am done! Just getting madder by the minute with people who have no clue what they are talking about.
                You honestly think you are that much smarter than the rest of us because you are a teacher? Who do you think helps our kids with homework ? Who makes sure they study? I'm glad you are a teacher and like to teach but you are reaching engineer level delusion ..

Comment

Cut administrative positions to fund the raises. The more money we throw towards “education”, the more frivolous admin positions get created. It’s even worse at the collegiate level, where easy money in the form of government student loans has fueled ever increasing tuition rates.

Comment

Makes sense... i don’t disagree at all.

Most people teach because they feel it is a calling. It’s what they feel like their purpose is. Doesn’t feel good when your doing what you’ve always set out to do as a PROFESSIONAL and it’s barely enough to pay the bills. Think that’s why some people have a hard time just getting out and doing something else. They feel like teaching is what they are suppose to do...

Maybe lol.

That makes a lot of sense. It would suck to lose the good ones over a few thousand bucks a year.

I agree with some of the other posters, parents need to step up to the plate better, but how can you force people to be responsible?

I don't know what the solution is, I'll say it again. It is a complicated issue I know little about.

I am confident that a pay bump will not be panacea that fixes our broken education system and decaying moral fabric.

Comment

If property tax was raised to pay teachers I would be ok with it. Problem is property taxes would be raised under the flag of teacher pay raises and then the money would be funneled to other projects or programs. Approximately 28yrs ago we approved a state lottery under the claim of the profits being used for education, today a very minuscule amount of lottery money is actually being used for education. Just like when beltway was built around Houston it was to only be a toll road until it had paid for itself. Pretty sure it has paid for itself 1,000’s of times by now. Once the government finds a way to get your money, sometimes willingly, they will find a way to redirect that money and you find yourself in the same boat as before.

Comment

Do you teach in a good school district, or one where the parents are not educated and don't place value on it?

I mentioned in a previous post. We are changing rapidly as a society. A lot of it not good IMO. That is being bore out in our education system. How is a ten percent pay raise for teachers going to affect that?

it really doesn’t matter if it affects it at all, it still has to be dealt with daily by the teacher.

How would it help? A teacher is human, wouldn’t any other persons morale improve, attitude be better, maybe work ethic improve, month be easier leading stress to be less? Am i saying teachers show up every day to not do a good job.. not at all.. but to say our schools could/would not improve because teachers feel more appreciated is crazy to me. Figured a person that left his profession to make more money would know that better than any. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          Ignorant. You have no idea what you are talking about and it shows.
                          Did I strike a nerve mudslinger, tough guy......

Comment

teachers

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                            I am in education and I don't want to raise my property taxes so teachers can get a raise. The way the state funds education is the issue. Reduce, and cap, property taxes and increase sales tax and other consumer-type taxes. And give teachers a raise.

I am a teacher and I agree as well. Another line of thought I have to help ISD's save money is no administrator should be paid 10% over the highest paid teacher. This was said to me by my mentor teacher when I was student teaching, and after 13 years in the business having worked with several different administrators I feel it should hold true. We have too many administrators that move up for the wrong reasons.

I also feel that we dump way too much of taxpayer money into athletic facilities and payroll for athletics. Athletics does teach kids very valuable lessons and certainly has it's place in public education. However, with a growing need for trades jobs we should be spending more money in career and technology programs and stop measuring success by how many professional athletes we have had or even how many kids are going to college. We need people who are trained and able to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              Yes or no? Support teacher raises or not? Support increasing property taxes or not?

I firmly believe that there is very little, if any, waste in small school districts. There simply isn't that much cushion in their budgets.

School taxes make up the largest % of property taxes, by far, in the Texas taxing districts.
                              In my district, payroll and benefits is 85% of our annual budget. That is a significant amount in any organization. For seven years, I was intimately involved in the finances of our district and I can tell you that there was very little waste and alternatively very little opportunity to save money. The state and sometimes federal government dictates too much about HOW money can be spent. Most people just don't understand that "Independent" school district isn't as independent as it was meant to be...If you take the kings gold, you dance to the king's music.

My answer is a "NO" in this case because I'm in the minority that think teachers are fairly compensated...at least in my area.

Comment

i pay $9,400 a year in property taxes. it is pretty cheap daycare in my mind for 2 kids. my kids go to a high rated school and have great teachers. we have 400 kids in our elementary and our PTA just raised > $150K at our annual auction. the teachers at our school don't complain about raises because they have involved parents who spend money on the amenities/supplies, ipads, that the school budget doesn't have room for.

but wait, there are a ton of renters in the apartments next door, do you think they pay a fair share of the property or at least a fair share of the school tax?? doubtful...

Comment

Working...
                                X