Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freakin cool!

Comment

Chase, all the precise type spec info I’m giving, I’m asking my nephew. Since he’s the pilot, and the one well versed in all this. I’ll text him later and see what he’s “been hearing”...

Comment

But what you’re saying would definitely open up the upper end of the “light sport” for sure!

Comment

Yes it would.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok this right here takes the cake for DIY projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
              Ok this right here takes the cake for DIY projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Yea, so much for making fishing lures, this guys building a plane. That's cool.

Comment

Hold the phone brothers! This guy (me) was just a grunt helper that did some tig welding on a plane motor frame! The real builder is my nephew! I just help when I can, or give any mechanical help when asked. Which ain’t very often. My nephew, the young man actually doing the build, has a pretty level head on him, and patience in spades. Prob why we mesh so good, I can mess with an invention or mechanical idea forever till I finally get it like I want it. He’s also doing this the “Johnny Cash Cadillac” way. As he gets extra money from side gigs, play money, he spends it on plane stuff. So it may take him a little longer since he doesn’t want to go in any debt on any of it. Doing it the way he’s doing it, plus saving money in multiple areas, he said he should be able to get er built for way less than what this plane usually would cost. For starters, the Yamaha engine was way cheaper than the Rotax usually ran in these planes. But it comes in lighter, is EFI, and bout twice the HP. But like I said, he’s gonna have it to where when he’s done building it, he’s done paying for it. Obviously outside of upkeep, etc. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

The cool thing about building your own is you can do your own annual, which saves a ton of money.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                    The motor is an 1100 CC Yamaha snowmobile engine, made to go in a racing arctic cat sled. Turbo charged, fuel injected, 3 cylinder. I think he said it puts out 160-180 hp (?), more if you wanted to juice it up, but it’ll have a gearbox on the output since the prop doesn’t need and won’t be rated for 10-15,000 RPM. Think it’s a 3.83-1 gearbox. Course the plane doesn’t weigh nothing, like less than a 1000 lbs w/full (50 gallons) fuel. I believe he said he can “cruise speed” at 150 mph. I may be off on some of my specs, so I’m not 100% on all I’m telling ya. But I’m texting him now to make sure I ain’t out in left field on anything. Cuz I am getting old as he’s pointed out a time or two. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                    Sounds pretty interesting.

Comment

So this thing has a chrome moly frame with a aluminum skin? Are the wings, rudder and vertical stabilizer also going to have a aluminum skin?

Comment

How old is your nephew? This is a really cool project, lots of math and stuff...

Comment

Riflepistol, yes chromoly frame with aluminum skin. Wings will be aluminum frame with aluminum skin. He hasn’t ordered his wing kit yet. That’s still a ways down the road. And my nephew is in his early 30’s. Typical guy, I am, I don’t know his exact age. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Forgot to put this one in the other day. After I left that day he did get the running gear installed. Now at least he can pivot the plane around to different spots. I helped him set it on a sawhorse that he put right at the firewall/where the motor frame bolted. I grabbed the frame and just picked it straight up while he slid the sawhorse under it. Granted, it was balanced on a pivot point, but still amazing how easy it was to pick the whole front of the plane up by myself high enough to get it under there.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That would be cool to build and own a bush plane, style plane. I would be moving to Alaska for sure, if I got it built.

So what size tubing is the frame built out of, diameter and wall thickness? Then what thickness is the skin?

Comment

This is awesome. Can't wait to see the final results.

Comment

Working...
                                X