No announcement yet.

College Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USMC has certification programs for engineering, utilities and other fields.
    Besides the GI Bill after service, Texas Veteran assistance programs, paid for food, paid for housing, fair pay... the DoD will pay 100% for in service university attendance as long as a C or higher is made.

Lots of wins.

Being a lineman is belonging to a very similar type of brotherhood to the Marines. Lots of hard work, lots of suck, but it doesnt matter because your not the only one working to help others in the freezing rain. A lineman and Marines life often is counting on someone else to do their job properly. Few people get to experience the bonds formed through hardship and the mentality of responsibility forged.
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 02-24-2021, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Carpet cleaning and water damage remediation.

Even during economic depressions people’s houses still flood and insurance companies will still pay ya.

One of the cheaper industries to get into and start up your own business, and the “training” can come on the job or through the IICRC

I did it my entire way through college (didn’t pay my way through completely of course) but all my bosses lived comfortably and we’re always home every night.

Don’t go to drafting school (solid works or the like) and head to the patch without knowing what your drawing/designing/doing. We already got to many guys that can run the programs but don’t know or understand what the heck they’re doing

Comment

Maybe look into a Fire Academy or EMT Basic training? There are multiple of both that are largely online with in person qualification training at the end or even some full on in person school style academies. Just a thought....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Look into inspections. APi510 and 570. They make $50 an hour. You can study on your on or take a prep course.

Comment

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post
            My guys work alot. They work anywhere from 600-1200 hrs overtime/ doubletime a year. But they get paid rest time as well. If they work thru the night they will get paid to sleep the next day. I was in my tools for 20 yrs. Its not for everyone but it is long hours and they work in all elements. This last few weeks they were working 16-20 hrs a day in the cold.
            They sacrifice everything at home to try and get power restored quickly and safely as possible. I see the demand being even higher for lineman in the next few years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            Whats the turn over rate? I could work those type of hours for 2-3 years and then be so burned out the money wouldn't mean anything to me anymore.

Comment

not enough small engine and marine mechanics in the world. every shop stays slammed.

Comment

Texas offers many options for employment with only a HS diploma. I wouldn't overlook the Toyota plant. Samsung plant, Amazon, any of those large companies. You start out making a decent wage and have the opportunity to grow with them.

I have a friend from HS who started working at 16 at wal mart. Putting the shopping carts away. He never left. 21 years later Wal mart has moved him a couple times he is a store manager and makes decent money. Lots of companies to look into.

Any skilled trade job will be lucrative. If I had it to do all over. I think I would have gone to work for a HVAC company and worked my tail off and grew with them. Any large/small town across the country have two people who are the wealthiest, The dealership owner and the HVAC company owner.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                  Just a personal opinion but here goes. Small town America is missing local welding shops. Replacing axles on trailers to welding anything that a rancher needs fixed.
                  This right here is a good idea. Young man that does welding near our farm part time stays busy and makes dang good money.

Comment

As mentioned above. Line work is a good trade. Good money. It’s been a busy few weeks lately. I got out of the military expecting to get a kush civilian job. Somehow ended up here haha.

Comment

This is great info. My son is in the same boat. He wants to be a rancher or pro rodeo.

Comment

Bunch of my buddies became firemen. My younger cousin has been a commercial hvac guy for a few years now. Seems to like it and is making good money.

I'm in the construction equipment business. A lot of the best mechanics I know learned in the military.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          What does he love to do?
                          Good question

Comment

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post
                            My guys are home every night unless working local. We do travel for big storms but only couple times a year on average.

Thanks for the info, I thought it would be a lot more travel. Definitely something to consider down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

as the dad of two boys who i am pretty sure wont grow up to be doctors, i think about this all the time. i am a cop and would not recommend this field to anyone right now, but i have always thought that learning a trade like HVAC, welding, plumbing, etc, and being a fireman would be a great way to go for someone that isnt made for college.

the salary is decent enough, full benefits and retirement, great schedule with plenty of time to make side money with your trade.

my dad is a home inspector and i have been thinking about getting my license to be ready for when he steps away, which could also be an avenue for my boys.

Comment

Taxidermy. Focus on bobcats. There is a huge need. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X