• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welfare

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
      Just curious, why not trade school?
      ^This. HVAC, Commercial Refrigeration, Plumber, Electrician, truck driver are all bulletproof no matter what the economy is doing.

Comment

Get into military and go into medical field in the military. Start out as steril prep, move to surgery tech, anesthesia tech etc. get his feet wet and then the sky’s the limit. He could become a respiratory tech, x Ray tech all within two years while in the military.
        My wife started out with a BS from A&M in Construction Science, went to Associates in nursing, then BS in Nursing, then Masters in Family Medecine. She picked up $30,000 more when she got her Masters. Point is , the medical field is wide open for anyone willing to pursue it. The military is a great place to start it.

Comment

Some of the highest paid guys at my job are maintenance electricians that came from the Navy

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
              ^This. HVAC, Commercial Refrigeration, Plumber, Electrician, truck driver are all bulletproof no matter what the economy is doing.
              This^^^^^ In Texas.....HVAC and Plumbing will always be needed.

Comment

Lineman are in high demand.
                Line school or on the job as a helper and a 4-5 yr apprenticeship and he can write his own ticket. He would be able to work anywhere in the country. I have new apprentices that made over 100k last year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

My AWS CWI endorsement has provided very well for my family over the years, best investment I ever made in my career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post
                    Line school or on the job as a helper and a 4-5 yr apprenticeship and he can write his own ticket. He would be able to work anywhere in the country. I have new apprentices that made over 100k last year.

This is now the way to go. Changed my mind from earlier post. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                      This is now the way to go. Changed my mind from earlier post. LOL
                      Lineman are pulling good money these days and are in high demand. Most my guys made 150+k

Comment

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post

Curious. How many hours a week (average) to reach 100k?

And now I see the above 150+, same question for those guys.

Not sure how the above questions “sound”. I’m genuinely just curious and a young guy with nothing else to worry about could put in some good time and get started out right.
                        Last edited by MLank; 02-24-2021, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I know that you said no trade school, but TSTC is hard to beat for a 2 year degree. Spend the first year getting the basics done and the second strictly on your chosen field. They do a lot of hands on training in labs, not just sitting behind a desk all day every day. I graduated from there in Electrical and Instrumentation. With that foundation I went to work in electrical substations. From there you can work for just about any major city/utility and be home most nights and make good money. Or work for a contractor and travel a lot more and make really good money.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post

Not sure how the above questions “sound”. I’m genuinely just curious and a young guy with nothing else to worry about could put in some good time and get started out right.

Don’t want to hijack your question but would like to add how much of that money is time away from home/travel pay? My current job is great but I can see issues arising once kids come into the picture due to travel. Just curious

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post

My guys work alot. They work anywhere from 600-1200 hrs overtime/ doubletime a year. But they get paid rest time as well. If they work thru the night they will get paid to sleep the next day. I was in my tools for 20 yrs. Its not for everyone but it is long hours and they work in all elements. This last few weeks they were working 16-20 hrs a day in the cold.
                              They sacrifice everything at home to try and get power restored quickly and safely as possible. I see the demand being even higher for lineman in the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by TA_Fab View Post
                                Don’t want to hijack your question but would like to add how much of that money is time away from home/travel pay? My current job is great but I can see issues arising once kids come into the picture due to travel. Just curious

My guys are home every night unless working local. We do travel for big storms but only couple times a year on average.

Comment

Working...
                                X