Engine Replacement on Wife's New Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Replacement on Wife's New Car

My wife bought a little Ford Escape with a 1.5L Turbo new in March of 2019. It now has about 30k miles on it and started have some misfiring and hesitation along with a check engine light. She made an appointment with Planet Ford in Humble since it would be several weeks before the local dealership in Livingston could look at it. She dropped it off last Friday and they called her today to pick up.... with its new engine! It turns out Ford has had TONS of these leaking coolant into the cylinders. There were something like 40k engines on backorder a while back if I read correctly. After she called me this morning to tell me what they had to do, I did a quick google search on this issue. It turns out these engines are total garbage and Ford has known it for several years. I read multiple accounts of engines needing to be replaced a second time a year or so down the road. I'm glad they put a new engine in it while it was under warranty but now I'm concerned about how long it will last. I hate taking a hit on trading it in but would y'all trade it in if it were your wife's car?

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
    My wife bought a little Ford Escape with a 1.5L Turbo new in March of 2019. It now has about 30k miles on it and started have some misfiring and hesitation along with a check engine light. She made an appointment with Planet Ford in Humble since it would be several weeks before the local dealership in Livingston could look at it. She dropped it off last Friday and they called her today to pick up.... with its new engine! It turns out Ford has had TONS of these leaking coolant into the cylinders. There were something like 40k engines on backorder a while back if I read correctly. After she called me this morning to tell me what they had to do, I did a quick google search on this issue. It turns out these engines are total garbage and Ford has known it for several years. I read multiple accounts of engines needing to be replaced a second time a year or so down the road. I'm glad they put a new engine in it while it was under warranty but now I'm concerned about how long it will last. I hate taking a hit on trading it in but would y'all trade it in if it were your wife's car?
    Sounds like a great time to get rid of it

Comment

In a heartbeat! You'll take a bigger hit down the road if you don't do it now.

Comment

Fords

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        Stay away from Fords.

Comment

they replaced the engine in my daughters 2013 Escape for the same problem and never had a problem after that... just a couple of sensors that seemed to nag that model. They offered me an extended warranty but I deferred and drove it another year and sold it.

Comment

The 6th word in your paragraph answered your problem

Comment

I would trade, but I bet you take a bit hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I woukd trade it in asap!

Comment

Keep it. I have a buddy that bought a 2017 Ram ecodiesel and it threw 2 rods at 7,000 miles just driving down the road. Everyone told him to trade it after Ram put a new engine in it. He now has over 40,000 trouble free miles.

Comment

I'm not a Ford hater - but the words Ford & Turbo, put together, would be a deal breaker for me. I know a lot of guys have loved their eco boost engines, but my luck doesn't work that way.

Comment

Call a regional rep and ask for or look at the Lemon Law and get a new vehicle.

Comment

It’s a ford enough said

Comment

It's across their line with that engine. Our 2018 Fusion has the same engine. While my truck was at ford, I asked the service writer about the recall that we received and if was going to do the same as our previous fusion with a computer reprogram, less power and mileage. She told me to just ignore the recall and wait for it to go out. as long as the recall issue is out there, they will have to replace the engine.
                          I'd bet your wife's escape doesn't run as good. They reprogram the computer to allow less turbo boost.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
                            It's across their line with that engine. Our 2018 Fusion has the same engine. While my truck was at ford, I asked the service writer about the recall that we received and if was going to do the same as our previous fusion with a computer reprogram, less power and mileage. She told me to just ignore the recall and wait for it to go out. as long as the recall issue is out there, they will have to replace the engine.
                            I'd bet your wife's escape doesn't run as good. They reprogram the computer to allow less turbo boost.
                            This is my understanding as well.

As for all of the "stay away from Ford" comments... I've owned a LOT of them in the last 25 years and this is the first one to ever have any issues. Of course, I usually don't buy cars or small SUV's. The trucks have always been problem free. I guess this particular ecoboost was just a bad design. I believe all automakers have had it happen to a certain model here and there. That's why I won't buy a Dodge/Chrysler/Ram product. I've owned three and all were junk.

Comment

Trade it in just as fast as you can!

Comment

Working...
                              X