Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Down sides of 300 BO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
    I have not. No one I know has one. I'll shoot one before I go through the process of buying one though. Just seems like a lot of power loss for very little gain.
    The power loss is from subsonic 300 blk. Shoot supersonic 300 blk and don't look back. It's a 30 cal 110-125 grain projectile out of an AR.

Comment

Build both...I have a 6.5 Grendel I love! My 300bo upper from radical firearms is at UPS! Can't wait to shoot it...

Comment

Just seems like a lot of power loss for very little gain.
        Power loss compared to what? Has way more punch than a 223, which is what it was intended for

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
          The power loss is from subsonic 300 blk. Shoot supersonic 300 blk and don't look back. It's a 30 cal 110-125 grain projectile out of an AR.

So what is the advantage of shooting supersonic ammo through a suppressor vs non suppressed?

Comment

So what is the advantage of shooting supersonic ammo through a suppressor vs non suppressed?
            It's quieter. Depending on barrel length/suppressor it's even hearing safe.

I have a 8.5" 300 blk I run supersonic ammo through. No problem without hearing pro with a suppressor. Same barrel and ammo without a suppressor and it will ring your ears.

I have (2) 10.5" 5.56 barrels both hearing safe shooting supersonic ammo with a suppressor.

I also have a 16.5" 300 blk and a 16.5" 5.56. Running supersonic ammo through a suppressor with those is WAY quiet.

The shorter the barrel the louder the boom. But the suppressor... suppresses the noise very well regardless of length.

Check out silencer shops vid:

Comment

I just got geared for for the 300BLK. Black Forge Upper.
              Found lots of 300AAC ammo at Academy all over I-10 from Kerrville to Baytown. They have the Cheap Remington 120gr OTFB 14.99/bx and the DRT's 27.99/bx.
              I bought a few hundred rounds of the 110gr Varmedgeddons from KNS Precision in Fredricksburg last week $21/bx. They have a good supply of 300blk in super and sub sonic weights. Pallets full of subsonic 22lr also.
              Look here also for ammo.
              Made in Texas. http://beckammunition.com/ammunition/300-blackout

Comment

What hunting ranges are y'all shooting at?

Waiting on my Form 1...

Comment

I'm shooting supersonic ammo out past 100 on occasion yote hunting. But for the most part my hunting takes place at 100.

Comment

I wish my hunters would have the kind of success y'all are having on hogs. I don't think we have recovered one yet shot w a 300BO.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                      I wish my hunters would have the kind of success y'all are having on hogs. I don't think we have recovered one yet shot w a 300BO.
                      I would blame that on ammo, shooter and shot placement. Mine blew a 2 inch exit hole in a hog's neck

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post

Are they shooting subs? Subs suck for hunting period unless you are taking head shots.

Every animal I've shot with mine has been DRT.

Comment

Originally posted by texas bound View Post
                          I would blame that on ammo, shooter and shot placement. Mine blew a 2 inch exit hole in a hog's neck
                          I agree, it's GOT to be ammo related. If you shoot a hog with an FMJ out of a 300 win mag, you'll probably have the same results. These guys running Sierra match kings aren't getting expansion, because they aren't designed to expand. If they use the correct supersonic load, I don't see how it could be any less effective than 7.62x39, which it pretty much duplicates the ballistics of, except with better bullet options.

Comment

Yotes and hogs.. perfect combo for the 300 blk.

As Mike mentioned I've been running the cheap umc green box and doing pretty well. On lighter game they don't devistate like a Varmit bullet would.. they tend to zip right through. On pigs they do more damage.. as pigs are more dense to allow the bullet to work. But they are half the price of Barnes 110... so I'm willing to compromise a bit because of my intended target and not wanting to spend a ton to kill em.

All that said I've yet to lose an animal. All the pigs have been DRT including this lil guy.

If i was only going out to shoot lighter game I'd choose a balistic tip like the varmageddon or the barnes.

This coyote made it 30 yards.. that's the furthest anything has made it on me at this point.

For an all around spring/summer gun that's a blast to carry and suppress.. which make it ideal for hunting with the Lil guy... I don't think it can be beat.

To be fair I don't own a 6.8spc or a 6.5 grendel.. at this point I don't think I will ever need to. Lol. I do own a few 5.56's and I wouldn't purposely go pig hunting with one considering I have better options.. will it get the job done? Definitely. Are there better options out there for pigs? Most certainly.

If i was only Varmit hunting I'm taking the 5.56.

But for your intended targets the 300 blk will suit you well.
                            What kind of lower is that? Im about to start piecing together my first rifle and that thing looks bad A**

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                              What kind of lower is that? Im about to start piecing together my first rifle and that thing looks bad A**
                              The first one is the Hellbreaker.... I catch hell for it ALL the time. But I really like it.

The last lower is the Seekins SP223.

Both are about priced the same, the Seekins has cooler features but the Hellbreaker has the lil ****** off guy lol so either way. Look to spend 300 bones for the lower alone..

Comment

The first one is the Hellbreaker.... I catch hell for it ALL the time. But I really like it.

The last lower is the Seekins SP223.

Both are about priced the same, the Seekins has cooler features but the Hellbreaker has the lil ****** off guy lol so either way. Look to spend 300 bones for the lower alone..
                                is that striped or complete lower for $300?
                                sorry for my ignorance. never did anything like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X