Protein feeder build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feeder build

Been wanting to do this for awhile and finally got started on it after the season ended. About 170 gallons. 48” long 30” deep and 28” tall. I cut two pieces 78”x28” on the plasma table and had a buddy brake them for the sides. The bottom I cut with the plasma and pre cut the holes for the feed tubes and etched the location for the legs. Tubes are 4x4 14ga cut so that the bottom tube is angled about 10deg down. Sides and bottom are 11ga. I cut an 11ga lid but I think I’m gonna make a new one out of 16ga to make it a little lighter. This thing is gonna be heavy! Hope to finish it up in the next couple days and get it out next weekend.

Looks good Kept pics coming

Comment

Gonna weld some support on the legs still. And some sort of skids. Need to grab more material for one more feed tube. Will do that at work Monday. Then it’s just a lid and latches and a broke piece inside to funnel the feed and a coat of paint.

Comment

Wow!

Nicely done.

Been looking at doing something similar, but the $ for that much flat has slowed the project down. Almost considering buying one instead

Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Tx-Burt View Post
          Nicely done.

Been looking at doing something similar, but the $ for that much flat has slowed the project down. Almost considering buying one instead

Good job!

Yup. It’s getting wild. I had the material before the recent price increase and work for a fab shop (not as a welder! ) so got it for cost.

Comment

Got it finished up minus the pieces of flat bar inside the feed tubes to hold the feed from falling out. Gonna throw those on tomorrow. Got a couple coats on paint on and a few more tomorrow night before taking it out to the lease Friday as long as the weather holds up.

Comment

Comment

Feeder looks really good!!!! Very nice design.

From having built one myself, I ended up adding a little "lip" at the bottom of the tube to stop the feed from just sliding out and also a hood extending out to protect a little from rain. Let me see if I can find any pics of how I finished my tubes.

Comment

This was my first welding project so please forgive the quality of the welds but it shows what I am talking about. I tweaked the angle of the joint on the 2nd protein feeder we built and the tubes came out better. Didn’t have to expand the tubes. Did the 22.5 degrees just like you.

Comment

I know it's late to comment on it, but you might want to think about either drilling small 1/8" holes on that flat bottom or find some perforated metal for the bottom 1/4 of the end of the head and cut and weld them on now. It makes a big difference in dust and if moisture were to get in there.

Comment

Yeah I welded on the little parts at the bottom of the feed tubes this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
                        I know it's late to comment on it, but you might want to think about either drilling small 1/8" holes on that flat bottom or find some perforated metal for the bottom 1/4 of the end of the head and cut and weld them on now. It makes a big difference in dust and if moisture were to get in there.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re talking about. You mean the bottom of the feed tubes or the bottom of the hopper? I can easily add something before I head out tomorrow. Thanks!

Comment

Hopefully my pic is right side up! Anyway, this is what he’s referring to bout the drain holes. That is the small bottom lip in the front, and drain holes are in bottom of chute/tube, near the front lip. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                            Yeah I welded on the little parts at the bottom of the feed tubes this evening.

Very nice!!!!

Comment

great looking build!

Are you trying to corner the market on tan Rtic coolers?

Comment

Working...
                              X