No announcement yet.

Texas history Bowie, start to finish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any updates? I want to see this thing finished!

Comment

I actually trimmed up a few pieces of that oak today. The show I was going to do this knife for got canceled, but it’s about time to work on it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man get that finished Jason!

Comment

So very cool. Following.

Comment

Ill bring belts to you if you'll get back on this!!! Its killing me

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
              Ill bring belts to you if you'll get back on this!!! Its killing me
              I lost my round tuit, lol. This project was designed to be for the Arkansas show in September, which is likely not going to hold bc of virus. I've been making a whole bunch of other cool stuff in between.

With regard to this project, I've got a hunter-sized piece of the 1836 billet left that I'm probably forging out this weekend. I have a customer who wants a knife from these materials, but not quite this price point, so I'm making a smaller piece with a little less complexity.

I'm at the point where I need to hand sand the blade and start on fittings. For one, that means I actually have to make up my mind what I'm going to do in terms of design.

Comment

Sorry, only boring steps...

I always grind my false edges in after heat treatment, as it makes it grind slower, so you screw it up slower. This is one side at a clean 800 grit hand finish. If you’re not using Rhynowet, you’re missing out.

Comment

Cool stuff man.

Comment

I’m excited to see this through to the end. I went and looked up your Forged in Fire episode. So cool to watch. TBH is like my 6 degrees of separation from a celeb.

Comment

Hit my first major snag. I had the harness decorations rolled flat and annealed, no problems. The grape shot was too big for the jewelers rolling mill, so after talking with him, I decided to try to squish it with the hydraulic press.

At pink heat, with just a little squish, it cracked all apart

So what do you do next, when you have ruined plan A on your irreplaceable thing? You try Plan B.

Built a little bar mold that could double as a crucible. Threw it in the forge a bit and melted it down.

That part worked as planned. Took the can off and the billet was real porous. Going to have to try it again.

Comment

Second try was only marginally better. Going to have to try again. Maybe I shouldn't do trial and error with irreplaceable stuff....

Comment

Third try was a fail as well. I’ve been told several times to use an acetylene torch, which I don’t have. Going to go to a buddies house and try that next.

Comment

Still haven’t got the melt done, but I am working on this project a little bit. This picture is the two pieces of the Sam Houston Oak that I’m going to use on the two knives pictured. The big one is the one from this WIP, and the small one is forged from the leftover piece of the same billet.

My file guide broke, so I sent it back to Bruce Bump for rehab. Should be back this week. Going to try and keep making progress. I sold a couple good ones to my archery shop guy for some cash and a dozen arrows, so the push to work is a little less urgent. This is supposed to be a hobby, LOL.

Comment

Comment

Cool to see all these WIP pics, thanks for updating us. That oak wood is just so good looking.

Comment

Working...
                                X