Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The neck makes the best tamales shoot em behind the shoulder

Comment

High shoulder shot. I have the same sendero and use Remington corelok. Never a problem and minimal waste in one shoulder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Curious to What area on the deer specifically for the high shoulder shots are you guys referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by J-J Matt View Post
          Teach him to shoot them behind the shoulder. A 40 yard death dash with a bullet through the heart/lungs is a lot less suffering that living with a blown out neck muscle when he misses the vertebrae or jugular. I don’t care how many you shoot, it will happen.

I shot a mule deer in the neck with a 7 mag that somehow didn’t break a vertebrae or cut the jugular. I’m still not sure how he held his head up or covered any ground. He made it 300 yards down a canyon before I got to him.

Breaking the neck is critical- and isn’t foolproof. If it goes bad- it isn’t an easy track.

Comment

What I mean by he won’t or refuses to see one run off with a shoulder shot he said dad I need more practice I’ve never missed and I won’t wound a deer. I know what he is capable of or id never let him shoot anything living . We started with a red Ryder,them moved up to an air rifle then .22 all on paper then small game. I have taught them to be ethical sportsman. I’m 56 years old and my 12 year is my oldest so he don’t run squat, he won’t make a bad shot is what he means. Marksmanship is first in our book.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
              My Dad shot a buck in the neck with a 25-06...7 days later he shot him again...this time in the shoulder.

This was the wound from the first shot.

I can't tell what we are seeing here. It does not look like the neck. Is that the brisket/chest? If he had hit the deer slightly above the center of the neck, the deer WOULD HAVE GONE DOWN.
              Last edited by Burnadell; 01-10-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                What I mean by he won’t or refuses to see one run off with a shoulder shot he said dad I need more practice I’ve never missed and I won’t wound a deer. I know what he is capable of or id never let him shoot anything living . We started with a red Ryder,them moved up to an air rifle then .22 all on paper then small game. I have taught them to be ethical sportsman. I’m 56 years old and my 12 year is my oldest so he don’t run squat, he won’t make a bad shot is what he means. Marksmanship is first in our book.

Don’t worry about defending yourself. There will be critics of every shot placement out there. If he has confidence in the neck, let him shoot them there. My youngest daughter shoots them in the neck, I’ve tried to get her to shoot elsewhere but she doesn’t feel confident doing it. Like your boy, she also shoots a .22-250. She’s shot her fair amount of animals and, knock on wood, she hasn’t lost anything yet. I know the chance is there, but it’s there with any where (i.e. - all the game cam pics of live deer with holes them that should’ve killed them)

Comment

I think one of my hunting buddies is reconsidering the neck shot after he shot this one last month. This shot wasn’t fatal. Fortunately he caught up with her and put one through the vitals.

Comment

117gr hornady SST begins the shoulder. To hell with a neck shot.

I have had a A-bolt 25-06 for 15 years and my wife and I have killed a truck load of whitetail and mule deer with shooting behind the shoulder.

Comment

Neck shots are bound to result in wounded/unrecovered game at some point. You also ruin a lot more meat with a neck shot on a mature rutting buck than you do on a high shoulder or tight to the shoulder shot. There is simply no reason to take them. This thread is evidence enough. Feels a bit like a troll post honestly.
                      Last edited by TwoHighways; 01-11-2020, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                        Tell him to use a high shoulder shot. Drops them every time even w/ a really small caliber. Wastes a little meat but they aren’t running anywhere.
                        10-4
                        Pin them shoulders and the bullet takes out the spine in between. They almost 100% of the time hit the ground butt first. Best high percentage shot there is.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          I can't tell what we are seeing here. It does not look like the neck. Is that the brisket/chest? If he had hit the deer slightly above the center of the neck, the deer WOULD HAVE GONE DOWN.

It is the neck. Deer dropped and a couple minutes later he got up and jumped out of the feed pen and staggered off before he could get another round in him.

Comment

I think the whole point of all the replies you're getting it that - yes, he will make a 'bad' shot. It happens to everybody, given enough opportunities. Part of being human.

And I in no way mean that as an insult to anybody. There are just too many things that can happen as the trigger is being pulled.

A clean kill needs to be first in all of our books.

We certainly need marksmanship skills. But taking pride in that to the point of saying 'I'll never miss' is foolish. I don't know anyone who's hunted much and never made a bad shot - and I'm always skeptical of any one who claims otherwise.

And I feel like I'm a much better shot than average. Still, the Bible says 'Pride goeth before a fall'.

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post

At some point in time, he’ll make a bad shot. It happens to us all. There is just so much more room for error shooting behind the shoulder. I promise I’m not saying neck shots won’t kill, but they are not the best option. I’ve culled hundreds of whitetail and exotics off of high fences over the years and shot a lot of them in the head or neck with a 22-250, but for a young shooter just getting started, I don’t feel it’s the best shot to take. Like someone said above, tracking is something important to know as well.

Comment

I have used a 223, 22-250 and a 25-06 to kill quite a few deer out to almost 200 yds using the 223 and 22-250 with lung shots and the longest lung shot with the 25-06 was right at 265 yds. Most of these shots occurred when the deer were in a wheat field but often times the deer were no more than 20 to 40 yards from the fence/brush and I think the longest one ran around 60 yds after he crossed the fence. I myself prefer not to take neck shots just from the margin of error aspect.

From my experience and observation the fps these cartridges are traveling at literally destroy the lungs from the shockwave.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by iamntxhunter; 01-11-2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X