25-06 neck shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25-06 neck shot

I’m a 22-250 shooter for deer and hogs and most other S Texas game, my son 12 yo has also been shooting my custom rifle and hadn’t missed until last weekend at his biggest buck , 6 shot 6 dropped in the tracks. My question is how much damage to the neck will the 25-06 do. I have a 1st gen sendero I’m thinking of letting him neck shoot his trophy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will do plenty of damage just like the 22-250 will do if you hit the vertebrae or jugular. If you don't then it makes a nasty wound or you miss.

Comment

I have used 40 grain bullets for head and neck shots and never had much damage in the neck, we to a buddy who loaded me some heavier bullets for my son to shoot and it’s still not a lot of damage but I’m worried bout a 115 25-06

Comment

Since it’ll be a shoulder mount , I know taxidermist can fix it but just curious

Comment

As said depends on what you hit, I neckshot a buck with a 300 win mag, deers head was flopping around like a coontail on a f150 radio antanae when the 2nd shot knocked him down at a dead run about 60 yds further away.

Comment

It’s hard to say, I’ve seen a 7mag put a hole that once seen you could never tell it was there and seen holes from a 22 hornet that were almost baseball size. I think it’s more relative to what is hit in the neck and what type of bullet you are using, not necessarily the weight of said bullet.

Comment

He refuses to shoot behind the shoulder, says he don’t want it to run off and suffer, he just turned 12 but he’s been shooting deer since he was 6 with my rifle

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                He refuses to shoot behind the shoulder, says he don’t want it to run off and suffer, he just turned 12 but he’s been shooting deer since he was 6 with my rifle

Tell him to use a high shoulder shot. Drops them every time even w/ a really small caliber. Wastes a little meat but they aren’t running anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                  I’m a 22-250 shooter for deer and hogs and most other S Texas game, my son 12 yo has also been shooting my custom rifle and hadn’t missed until last weekend at his biggest buck , 6 shot 6 dropped in the tracks. My question is how much damage to the neck will the 25-06 do. I have a 1st gen sendero I’m thinking of letting him neck shoot his trophy!!

Use the 117gr Hornady SST for the neck shot and I promise you will have a softball size exit hole. Seen it many of times. That was my south Texas set up. Heck I killed a 275lb Kansas buck with that set up right behind the front shoulder and he dropped right where he stood at 175 yards.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                    Tell him to use a high shoulder shot. Drops them every time even w/ a really small caliber. Wastes a little meat but they aren’t running anywhere.
                    This would be a wiser choice.

Comment

I’ve taught my boys that we don’t kill and take it lightly and say a prayer of thanks. My 9 yo has been with us since he was 5 and has shot rodents out of the blind with a .22. I believe they knows what hunting entails and to be the most ethical hunter as possible he has seen this buck 3 times, got buck fever on opening weekend and said dad I can’t stop shaking I can’t make a good shot! I said ok we’ll wait til you’re ready.i was proud of him for making that choice on his own, another hunter had seen this deer and said that deer gave me buck fever I can only imagine a 12 yo.

Comment

Teach him to shoot them behind the shoulder. A 40 yard death dash with a bullet through the heart/lungs is a lot less suffering that living with a blown out neck muscle when he misses the vertebrae or jugular. I don’t care how many you shoot, it will happen.

Comment

Oh I agree so out will come the safe queen sendero for shoulder shot

Comment

Aim for the base of the neck, right in the middle of the crease where the neck comes out of the shoulder. Front of the shoulder, rather than top of the shoulder. It's basically a neck shot, just at the base of the neck. DRT every time. If there is a bad exit wound, just get a wall pedestal mount and let that exit wound side face the wall.

Comment

The high should shot is like lighting in a bottle with 2506.
                              Does damage some shoulder meat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X