No announcement yet.

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm driving up Friday and hunting the PM, sleeping in my truck and then hunting Sat AM before heading home. Hoping I get my game cart bloody this weekend.

I'm getting my feet wet with the beast tactics. I've identified buck beds more easily this year, whereas years passed I would have overlooked them. Now I just have to figure out how to hunt them. Looking forward to the challenge and opportunity to learn and get better!

Comment

Seems we're all going beast tactics. I've learned a lot form Beast and THP. Now if I can only put the to use.

Comment

Beast tactics have given me opportunities at shooters the last 3 years in a row. I didn’t take them because I had this grand idea that I could locate and kill bucks like they have in Wisconsin and Iowa.... passing up legal, outside the ears 8’s for three straight years was just stupid though.

This year I am hunting Texas and Oklahoma again, and I have decided that legal deer are dead deer. My freezer is dang near empty. Oklahoma opens me up to those dumb year and a half olds with no antler restrictions. They taste better anyways, so might as well get a couple on the ground before I start getting picky again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
          Seems we're all going beast tactics. I've learned a lot form Beast and THP. Now if I can only put the to use.
          Same here!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
            Beast tactics have given me opportunities at shooters the last 3 years in a row. I didn’t take them because I had this grand idea that I could locate and kill bucks like they have in Wisconsin and Iowa.... passing up legal, outside the ears 8’s for three straight years was just stupid though.

This year I am hunting Texas and Oklahoma again, and I have decided that legal deer are dead deer. My freezer is dang near empty. Oklahoma opens me up to those dumb year and a half olds with no antler restrictions. They taste better anyways, so might as well get a couple on the ground before I start getting picky again.

Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

That's the exciting part for me. Figuring out this public hunt thing. Things I used to think were just oddities I see in a whole new light. This is way more engaging than setting over a feeder. It's more like hunting out west.

Comment

I wonder if those Iowa and Wisconsin deer taste different than ours. I feel a fact finding mission happening. Maybe I can get funding from the Wisconsin DNR.
                Last edited by jnd1959; 10-10-2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
                  Any of you want to split a 3 pack of Hawk Helium sticks to get a 4th one? I posted here because shipping would not be cheap and would prefer a FTF transaction.
                  What would be the cost? Would it be 3-1 or 2-2?

Thanks

Comment

That's the exciting part for me. Figuring out this public hunt thing. Things I used to think were just oddities I see in a whole new light. This is way more engaging than setting over a feeder. It's more like hunting out west.

Absolutely!!! I found Dan Infalt 4 seasons ago, and it started making me ask “why” every time I saw something. I went this past March with another TBH’er for a FULL weekend of 2 on 1 with Dan himself. We scouted Friday after Dan got off work, and dang near all day Saturday and Sunday. It really solidified a lot of what his site had taught me over the years. There are definitely some major differences between beast “rules” and how our deer bed here.

Our deer densities are WAY lower than they are in the Midwest. This means we can’t really narrow a single buck bed down to the dominant deer like Dan does. There are so many bucks competing for bedding in Wisconsin, only the oldest and most dominant bucks get the best of the best beds. There is also a lot more defining features limiting bedding. Their topography in hill country is so much more exaggerated than any “hills” we have in Texas, that wind and thermals REALLY define bedding locations. Their marshes also heavily limit bedding spots because bucks have to bed where there is dry dirt.

The tactics they teach are definitely applicable, but we come up dry in many situations where there would definitely always be a bed in the Midwest. There aren’t ANYWHERE near as many bucks competing for that bedding here, our wind/thermal interactions are much more subtle, and our grasslands and floodplain areas (though a fairly good analogy to marsh) don’t limit bucks bed choices nearly as much as the water does in the cattails of Wisconsin.

Beast style tactics definitely up your chances at a buck dramatically, but you really need to expect to fail at them for a couple years. I didn’t really get confident at setting up based on maps and a January/February scouting session only, and really EXPECTING an interaction with something coming from the bed I scouted, until last year. (My 3rd year hunting and scouting beast style heavily)

Comment

I wonder if those Iowa and Wisconsin deer taste different than ours. I feel a fact finding mission happening. Maybe I can get funding from the Wisconsin DNR.

Wisconsin out of state license is only $160....
                      That’s not much more than a Texas super combo plus APH, and half as much as my Oklahoma out of state license.

I’m thinking 2020 I will do a Wisconsin trip. I already got 2.5 days of scouting up there with Dan Infalt himself..

Comment

Did he have a sense of what our Texas deer are like or did you have to apply that knowledge to our situation? In watching the videos, I had a sense that I would need to adjust the process for northern deer to our situation.

Cool that you did the scouting seminar. I've thought of taking my son and daughter to that if they decide to get serious about deer.

Comment

What would be the cost? Would it be 3-1 or 2-2?

Thanks
                          Dang. I just bought a 3 pack from Cabela's for 99.99 + tax a couple weeks ago. They don't even list them on their website now. I was thinking $36/stick FTF if we could find them in stock somewhere for that same price. I just want 1 more so 1-2 or 1-1-1 if someone else wanted just one.

OR if anyone has an extra they want to sell....

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
                            Dang. I just bought a 3 pack from Cabela's for 99.99 + tax a couple weeks ago. They don't even list them on their website now. I was thinking $36/stick FTF if we could find them in stock somewhere for that same price. I just want 1 more so 1-2 or 1-1-1 if someone else wanted just one.

OR if anyone has an extra they want to sell....
                            Sending PM

Comment

Did he have a sense of what our Texas deer are like or did you have to apply that knowledge to our situation? In watching the videos, I had a sense that I would need to adjust the process for northern deer to our situation.

Cool that you did the scouting seminar. I've thought of taking my son and daughter to that if they decide to get serious about deer.

It wasn’t even the seminar...
                              it was me and @davet1963 exclusively with Dan for the whole weekend.

He didn’t really get it the first couple days, but he had a firm grasp by the end of the weekend. He quickly adapted what he was showing us, and how he explained it.

Comment

Absolutely!!! I found Dan Infalt 4 seasons ago, and it started making me ask “why” every time I saw something. I went this past March with another TBH’er for a FULL weekend of 2 on 1 with Dan himself. We scouted Friday after Dan got off work, and dang near all day Saturday and Sunday. It really solidified a lot of what his site had taught me over the years. There are definitely some major differences between beast “rules” and how our deer bed here.

Our deer densities are WAY lower than they are in the Midwest. This means we can’t really narrow a single buck bed down to the dominant deer like Dan does. There are so many bucks competing for bedding in Wisconsin, only the oldest and most dominant bucks get the best of the best beds. There is also a lot more defining features limiting bedding. Their topography in hill country is so much more exaggerated than any “hills” we have in Texas, that wind and thermals REALLY define bedding locations. Their marshes also heavily limit bedding spots because bucks have to bed where there is dry dirt.

The tactics they teach are definitely applicable, but we come up dry in many situations where there would definitely always be a bed in the Midwest. There aren’t ANYWHERE near as many bucks competing for that bedding here, our wind/thermal interactions are much more subtle, and our grasslands and floodplain areas (though a fairly good analogy to marsh) don’t limit bucks bed choices nearly as much as the water does in the cattails of Wisconsin.

Beast style tactics definitely up your chances at a buck dramatically, but you really need to expect to fail at them for a couple years. I didn’t really get confident at setting up based on maps and a January/February scouting session only, and really EXPECTING an interaction with something coming from the bed I scouted, until last year. (My 3rd year hunting and scouting beast style heavily)

I have heard about Dan Infalt a lot as I have just recently started getting into the public land deer hunting. I have always been a duck hunter and just took a while to talk my self into spending some time hunting something other then ducks. Where can I find his tactics? Does he have a book or website? I would love to learn some new ways of approaching this.

Comment

Working...
                                X