No announcement yet.

2022 Texas Drought approaching 2011 levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing a garden this year for the second time. Grew the first one a few years before 2011 (i think 2004), but it was very dry that year too. Might be another 20 years before I try it again. Not sure what I'm going to do for hay this winter.

Comment

Was in Coleman County today…..looks awful

Comment

Nothing close to 2011 on my places in Mills county at the moment. We were close from January until about 4 weeks ago, but have received a little over 3 inches of rain since then. In 2011 I fertilized about 220 acres of coastal for hay production and didn't get a drop till too late for coastal to grow.

Comment

Our place in Shiner is looking as bad as 2011 when we had to sell all our cows on our 130 acre place. Hard to believe how grass rich we were just last year, not cutting all our fertilized fields (shredding) as we had just too much hay to put up.

Praying tropical depression or hurricane type rains changes things.
          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
            Worse than 2011 at my place in Dimmit. Going on 9 months w less than 2"
            100-105 degrees everyday is just brutal
            Going to find out how much of an impact protein & cottonseed has on antler growth.
            Most of the young cedar elms, hackberry, persimmon, & guajillo on south end of my ranch never put on leaves & alot of the trees appear to be dead.
            Hate to say it because it’s so bad out there for you/most of us but I bet you see a better than normal increase in your antler growth because of your supplementals. It happens in years of drought as long as they have some kind of water source decently close. They should be crushing it.

Gotta send one up for our farmers and ranchers, hoping we start getting some slow rolling good rains for y’all.

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
              Our place in Shiner is looking as bad as 2011 when we had to sell all our cows on our 130 acre place. Hard to believe how grass rich we were just last year, not cutting all our fertilized fields (shredding) as we had just too much hay to put up.

Praying tropical depression or hurricane type rains changes things.
              When I priced fertilizer this year and it was 950.00 a ton and herbicide was 50.00 a gallon, I about fell over. Guess it was a blessing in disguise.

Comment

Is anyone privy to the long(er) term forecasts are calling for? Like into August, September and into the fall?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  Is anyone privy to the long(er) term forecasts are calling for? Like into August, September and into the fall?
                  Gotta ask God on that one. Weathermen ain’t been very accurate lol

Comment

2011 was the worst drought I’ve seen for us. This year is right up next to it so far.
                    It’s scary dry!!

We have only had a couple rains since the first of last November 2021….Throw in all the boatload of 100 degree days plus high winds sure makes it a brutal combo.

Praying hard for rain!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
                      2011 was the worst drought I’ve seen for us. This year is right up next to it so far.
                      It’s scary dry!!

We have only had a couple rains since the first of last November 2021….Throw in all the boatload of 100 degree days plus high winds sure makes it a brutal combo.

Praying hard for rain!!!

We normally get the worst of the droughts at the ranch. Like it will rain a good bit in town and miss our ranch 7 miles away.
                      This year I’ve had multiple good rains at the ranch. So much I’ll have to mow multiple times during the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Been pretty tough the last year. Seems like even starting last fall/winter the precipitation wasn’t like normal. Combined with the above average wind and lack of adequate spring rains it has been brutal. Won’t be much longer and we’ll be putting out hay. Thankfully we carried over a good bit from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not in Texas but feeling the pain.

We had 10” in May and then 1” since. It’s getting bad! The spigot shut off

Comment

I'm already running soaker hoses around bases of some of my trees a couple times a week. Can't afford to lose my shade.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              I'm already running soaker hoses around bases of some of my trees a couple times a week. Can't afford to lose my shade.

Been doing the same but out around the drip line where the roots are

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                Been doing the same but out around the drip line where the roots are
                                I need to do this

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X