2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
    It's been a very tough year for us. The wind has just been relentless which keeps me from fishing where most of the trout are right now. I can't ever remember fishing this many strong SW wind days in a year. But what I will tell y'all is the days that we have had light south or SE wind the fish numbers are much improved over last summer. It looks like the trout are bouncing back really well. There are a whole lot of 10-16" trout in the bays right now and most of those fish are fish that were spawned post freeze which shows the recovery is well under way. I think by next August when the emergency order is lifted we will be in pretty good shape.

One positive about all the wind is that it is giving the trout some protection and relief. That is a big positive especially during croaker hero season. The number of dead trout at the cleaning table has been very low and that is a good thing right now. Every weekend that passes that the conditions are tough is just that many more trout still swimming and spawning in the bay and not freezer burning in someone's freezer.
    Well said sir

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

My boat mostly sits on the water and have to cross Aransas Bay to go fish. Tomorrow I’m gonna wash and leave on trailer so I can trailer and fish. This bites as it’s a lot easier for me just to walk outside and run for a few hours and fish. I don’t see any relief this week either

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
        It's been a very tough year for us. The wind has just been relentless which keeps me from fishing where most of the trout are right now. I can't ever remember fishing this many strong SW wind days in a year. But what I will tell y'all is the days that we have had light south or SE wind the fish numbers are much improved over last summer. It looks like the trout are bouncing back really well. There are a whole lot of 10-16" trout in the bays right now and most of those fish are fish that were spawned post freeze which shows the recovery is well under way. I think by next August when the emergency order is lifted we will be in pretty good shape.

One positive about all the wind is that it is giving the trout some protection and relief. That is a big positive especially during croaker hero season. The number of dead trout at the cleaning table has been very low and that is a good thing right now. Every weekend that passes that the conditions are tough is just that many more trout still swimming and spawning in the bay and not freezer burning in someone's freezer.
        Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        Add expensive fuel to that Glenn. I think that is keeping people off the water too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Aside from that first weekend in June the crowds seem to have been pretty low. I think people may have blown their wad a bit last year also, maybe going back to "normal" whatever that is. I won't say anything about what the cleaning table looks like when I'm there.

Comment

Lots of good news in Glenns post

Comment

Definitely was a grind Saturday, we boxed a couple male trout just over the 17” mark, 2 upper slot reds & 1 16” flounder between the 3 of us. They all had empty guts. DSL & paddletails were all they would hit. West Matty

Comment

Did get interrupted by this Sunday while trying to get my boat loaded up.

Comment

Rough morning for them.

Comment

Heard about that. Not sure how that happens.

Comment

What am I missing here...the truck is facing into the water?

Comment

2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

Had a good weekend fishing the Telepsen Arriba Pescado tournament in POC. We ended up taking first place in the guided division. The fishing was a dang sure enough grind, but the good company made up for it!

Brian calling the dinosaurs after a long night of shenanigans!!
                      Last edited by marshhunter; 06-13-2022, 04:53 PM.

Comment

My understanding is they were backing a microskiff into the water and got it jackknifed, the guy driving the truck somehow put it in neutral open the drivers door and that crazy wind grabbed the door and yanked him out of the truck. Not exactly sure how the truck got turned around the wrong direction but that may have happened when they were getting the boat trailer off of the truck, they had to do that first before trying to get the truck out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          Add expensive fuel to that Glenn. I think that is keeping people off the water too.

I'm sure fuel prices are having an impact. At least a little impact. Lots of folks are still spending money and burning gas like it's free but i think we for sure have seen less traffic due to the combination of fuel prices and weather. Basically I think a bunch of folks will spend the money... if they think they can hammer 'em. If it's iffy they are staying home.

I think another thing we are seeing is the return of real vacations and travel. Lots of people didn't take real vacations the last couple of years. They stayed close to home and did stuff like go fishing, beach vacations close to home, etc. I think lots of folks are spending their fun money to travel this year. Back to real vacations after a couple years of covid staycations.

Comment

Does anyone know what happened to Rawlings Bait Camp? Just got to the house we normally stay at and it’s gone. And any recommendations on where to get bait?

Comment

Harbor or the bait camp where riverbend was. Public ramp back towards the bridge from rawlins

Comment

Thanks! We’ll check those out.

Comment

Working...
                                X