8 foot 2 inch gar caught in Houston area bayou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J-5 View Post
    Our biggest was 7’8”. It went 165. I don’t see an extra 6” making it 135 heavier than that.
    I was on the boat with a buddy when he shot a 7’2” out of Choke. On scales it was right under 215. As stated before, that dang gar looked like it had swallowed a 30 gallon barrel it was so big around.

Comment

There was a guy on TKF years ago when it was a really active forum. He fished the Brazos mainly I think and caught so many huge gar that he was in some kind of research program for TPWD on them. Don't remember his handle but I bet there are folks here who know who I'm talking about.

Never seen one in my stretch of the Brazos, just 2-3 foot spotted gar that are still fun to catch on a bass lure.

Comment

Three hundred or not, that’s still a lot of gar balls !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          Three hundred or not, that’s still a lot of gar balls !
          Tru Dat on a lot of Gar balls. Most would be shocked at how good Gar fillets are cooked on the grill. Fillets gotta be trimmed up well and soaked in ice water for at least 24 hours to get the blood out. To me it’s like a big Op. A little extra work and it’s great eating.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
            Tru Dat on a lot of Gar balls. Most would be shocked at how good Gar fillets are cooked on the grill. Fillets gotta be trimmed up well and soaked in ice water for at least 24 hours to get the blood out. To me it’s like a big Op. A little extra work and it’s great eating.

If I have to do all that just to eat it I’ll pass.

I’ve eaten gar plenty in my life and never cared for it. Better than going hungry though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              If I have to do all that just to eat it I’ll pass.

I’ve eaten gar plenty in my life and never cared for it. Better than going hungry though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Yep a guy shared his secret on making shark edible to me one time.

Cut tail off and bleed
              Soak in salt water for 24 hours
              Rinse and soak in fresh water for 24 hours
              Rinse and soak in milk for 24 hours
              Cut in chunks and fry like any other fish.

I won’t wait 3 days to eat anything when there’s a PopEyes 10 minutes from me.

Comment

yeah my first thought was not 300 it was a long fish but not really big around they get really fat looking when they get real big.
                they’re always bashing the bowfishermen but we were going after them as trophy fish way before most people even cared or payed any mind to them then the picture started getting around on these huge fish and then They started fishing for them and immediately started the we have to outlaw the bow guys
                there’s plenty of they for everybody to enjoy

Comment

Pretty sure he caught it in the Brazos River somewhere near Richmond. He says several times in the video the word "river" and you can hear and see a train crossing over the waterway also. The fisherman is from Sugar Land as well. The water is pretty muddy like the Brazos River in that area.

Comment

Yep that is the Brazos river..

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                      Gar is one of my favorite fish to eat, Fried or gar balls. It is also one of the few filets that does not get mushy after sitting out for a few hours. Makes great
                      po boys as well.

Comment

That fish ain't anywhere near 300# and he knows it. He's just claiming it so he has a platform to spew his nonsense.

Comment

That was a waste of my time, nice gar, but not that big

Comment

Originally posted by J-5 View Post
                            Our biggest was 7’8”. It went 165. I don’t see an extra 6” making it 135 heavier than that.
                            My biggest came from the Trinity, near Richland-Chambers many years ago that was 7'3" @ 151#. Shot him right behind the dorsal fin and fought him for over 30 minutes in that river bend. Three of us finally got him in the boat, took him ashore so we could measure and weigh him, then rolled him back into the river. No internal organs were damaged so I'm sure he survived the encounter.

Comment

That was a biggun. I would venture to say several tbhers have gar that size and larger. Great fish but not 8ft nor 300lb.

Congrats to him. All that news hype will be great fir his business.

Comment

I’m just curious but about how old would a gar that big be?

Comment

Working...
                                X