Need your help. Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need your help. Brisket

Ive been reading several post that smoked my first brisket and came out fantastic. Well I’ve done about about 5 now and all have not been worth a ****!! Don’t know what I’m doing wrong. They all have been dry or very tough. I spritze it several times till it gets to 160 then I wrap with pink butcher paper. I probe around 190 and above but it never goes in like butter. Before y’all say anything I’m using a pit boss I know I know it’s for girly girls. Anyway I’m going to try again with a 14 pounder. Any pointers? Going to put it on tonight late at 225 and see if this changes my luck. Does it look ok after I trimmed it? Last pic shows like a flap on the point should I cut this off or will it be ok?
    Attached Files

Apply rub liberally, put in pellet smoker fat side down on 250* with meat thermometer stuck in the point, don’t open the lid again until the probe reads 203*. You will get many responses, but coming from someone who has pellet smoked ~300 briskets over the past few years, this is the way.

No spritzing, no wrapping, just smoke it. If you’re lookin’, you ain’t cookin’.

Comment

Originally posted by CyTxCazador View Post
      Apply rub liberally, put in pellet smoker fat side down on 250* with meat thermometer stuck in the point, don’t open the lid again until the probe reads 203*. You will get many responses, but coming from someone who has pellet smoked ~300 briskets over the past few years, this is the way.

I have a glass lid so I can see it without opening lol
      Ok I’m going to try your way so 250 for about how long for 14 pounds?

Comment

What about that flap?

Comment

Need your help. Brisket

What he said but rest in a cooler

Oh and fat side up!

Fight me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by bowfishin fool; 04-15-2022, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Let me start off by saying I’m by no means anywhere near a brisket expert. But I have been able to get consistent briskets on a pellet grill. I actually go fat side up till bark looks good then wrap till 195-200. I think a very important part is resting it as long as you can in a cooler or oven on super low temps before cutting.

Comment

Need your help. Brisket

Comment

190 is too early ...200-202 is when I start probing for slices.

A tough dry brisket is a not done, undercooked brisket. Never fails when folks pull too early whatever the reason it is a tough and dry. On the contrary, an overcooked brisket is softer and completely broke down. That's why folks take briskets they want to chop to 205 plus.

I'm a trimmed fat down brisket cooker. Makes for a prettier bark on top with no grill marks
                Last edited by Smart; 04-15-2022, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                  What he said but fat side up.

Fight me

**** it fat up fat down???? 300 briskets or a cattle guy

Comment

I have a tremendous amount of experience in smoking briskets. I’ve ruined probably 200 at least. Looks like CyTexCazador is the man I’d follow. Good luck. Oh and Smart knows what he’s talking about as well.
                    Last edited by Gumbo Man; 04-15-2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      190 is too early ...200-202 is when I start probing.

A tough dry brisket is a not done brisket. I'm a trimmed fat down brisket cooker. Makes for a prettier bark on top with no grill marks
                      Wrap or no?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        190 is too early ...200-202 is when I start probing.

A tough dry brisket is a not done brisket. Never fails when folks pull too early it is a toug a dry. An overcooked brisket is softer and completely broke down. That's why folks take briskets they want to chop to 205 plus. I'm a trimmed fat down brisket cooker. Makes for a prettier bark on top with no grill marks
                        100% this

I'll edit to this- fat up and down is arguable on an offset because you should mainly use it to help from burning. On a pellet your heat source is underneath (unlike an offset where the hot air is travelling over the top towards the exaust) so you should always go fat side down.
                        Last edited by snappertapper; 04-15-2022, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                          I have a tremendous amount of experience in smoking briskets. I’ve ruined probably 200 at least. Looks like CyTexCazador is the man I’d follow. Good luck.
                          His does sound the easiest lol

Comment

Stick burner here, so I can’t help much with the pellet.
                            But I’ll smoke at 275° till the stall which is usually around meat IT of 165°. Then wrap and start probing around 190°. I’ve had briskets ready to pull at this temp, and I’ve had some first get ready to pull at close to 210°. Every brisket is different. I’m a big believer in long rests. (6-7 hrs). But before putting in the cooler to rest, I’ll set it on the shelf and let the IT temp drop to about 180° otherwise it’ll keep cooking in the cooler and get overdone. Before I rest it, I’ll wrap it back up tight then wrap a towel around it, and set it in a small styrofoam cooler with not a lot of air space. You’d be surprised how long it’ll stay warm.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTIN HARD View Post
                              Wrap or no?

I did some editing to that first comment to be a little more specific.

I wrap at around 165-170 or at the stall whatever comes first ... both I have to feel that the bark is right though.

Comment

Working...
                              X