Kids rifle build opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silentnight View Post
    Good to hear. My kids are on the small side also so I’m glad to hear it fits him well.
    Any reason you went with the CS vs the CS2?

I kinda like the CS for the narrower and shorter forend but I don’t know if you can find them.
    Specifically went CS for the shorter forend. It took me a while of looking, but I finally found it in the Manners Stocks Ready to Ship page. I refuse to order a custom build from Manners ever again after the last couple incidents I’ve had with custom orders, as well as others by buddies.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the 257 Roberts...whole lotta folks have killed their first deer with my great grandmother's 722 which was cut down.

Comment

Any 308 based or 30 TC based case and go with it. They’ll all shoot well as shorties. If you go with a 7-08, don’t worry about making an ackley out of it as you won’t gain enough to matter.

Comment

6mm ARC

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            I'm a big fan of the 257 Roberts...whole lotta folks have killed their first deer with my great grandmother's 722 which was cut down.
            Took 17 post but the right option was finally posted!
            257 Roberts
            .the 260 would be my #2 and is a excellent choice too.

jrg

Comment

Will it be suppressed? If so I’d go 16-18” 308.
              My 308’s suppressed have hardly any recoil. Even shooting 175gr bullets

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                Specifically went CS for the shorter forend. It took me a while of looking, but I finally found it in the Manners Stocks Ready to Ship page. I refuse to order a custom build from Manners ever again after the last couple incidents I’ve had with custom orders, as well as others by buddies.
                I see your CS doesn’t have the adjustable cheek rest. Does your nephew still get a good cheek weld?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  While I’m not a 308 fan....it’s hard to beat the efficiency of it in a short barrel. Roll 110-125 grain bullets and let em eat.

6 creed. 7-08. Both would be good. Or a 22 creed or fast twist 22-250.

Grendel is best suited for a gas gun. Way better options for bolt actions.
                  What no love for the 6.5 MB Matt?? I see you posted ever other creed option but that one lol

Comment

Originally posted by JRG_80 View Post
                    Took 17 post but the right option was finally posted!
                    257 Roberts
                    .the 260 would be my #2 and is a excellent choice too.

jrg
                    I like the 257 Bob but I kinda want to stick to something I can find ammo for easily and won’t have to reload for.

I have a 260 already and shoot it suppressed. It would be one that I would consider for sure

Comment

What no love for the 6.5 MB Matt?? I see you posted ever other creed option but that one lol
                      Cuz the others do a good job. The 6.5 doesn’t haha. Never understood why folks don’t take to the 260 or 6.5-284 like they do the 6.5 creed.

I will add....a buddy just build an 18” 6.5 creed cuz he got parts cheap and a prefit for like $300. He’s slinging heavy pills at 2700+. Handloads. That impressed me. My 24” was slow as ****.

With so many options there’s only one thing to do.
                      Build a few!

You’re welcome to test drive my 6 creed or 22 creed. Same rifle. Switch lug.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Cuz the others do a good job. The 6.5 doesn’t haha. Never understood why folks don’t take to the 260 or 6.5-284 like they do the 6.5 creed.

I will add....a buddy just build an 18” 6.5 creed cuz he got parts cheap and a prefit for like $300. He’s slinging heavy pills at 2700+. Handloads. That impressed me. My 24” was slow as ****.

With so many options there’s only one thing to do.
                        Build a few!

You’re welcome to test drive my 6 creed or 22 creed. Same rifle. Switch lug.
                        I actually have a 260 and 6.5x284 for that very reason! Only reason the 6.5 bun is popular is because of marketing.

Your buddy’s creed is getting it out of an 18” barrel. That’s pretty impressive. Automatic sniper lol

I might have to take you up on that one day. We aren’t but about an hour apart and we can stretch it out pretty good around here.

Are you liking the switch lug? Is it as repeatable as they claim? And is it a pain to have to re adjust your scope after switching barrels or not too bad?

Comment

I see your CS doesn’t have the adjustable cheek rest. Does your nephew still get a good cheek weld?
                          I’d be lying if I said I knew. I put the rifle together, zeroed it, and dropped it off with my brother in law. He’s the one that’s been with my nephew anytime he shoots. I did have him shooting a custom 223 at 4 years old though

For myself I was expecting to have a compromise in cheek weld. It was actually much better than expected. I wouldn’t have any issues running that rifle as is.

Comment

I have the CS with the cheek riser on a 6.5 Creed with a 22” barrel. My 8yo handles it ok, but would handle it better if the barrel was 18” especially since it always has a suppressor on the end of it. Wish I’d thought of giving it to him when I was building it a few years ago for one of the APR builds, but I had planned for it to be mine. Ended up putting the stock on it to take to Africa incase he wanted to shoot something, but he hasn’t been quite ready to take a life and I’m sure not going to rush him. He loves being in the stand with me and I always have his rifle incase he decides today is the day.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              I’d be lying if I said I knew. I put the rifle together, zeroed it, and dropped it off with my brother in law. He’s the one that’s been with my nephew anytime he shoots. I did have him shooting a custom 223 at 4 years old though

For myself I was expecting to have a compromise in cheek weld. It was actually much better than expected. I wouldn’t have any issues running that rifle as is.
                              What are the specs on that cs? Elite shell and DBM with mini chassis?

Also are the inlets as specific as they say on manners website regarding the action or do all 700 clones work for the most part?
                              Last edited by Silentnight; 03-04-2021, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                                I have the CS with the cheek riser on a 6.5 Creed with a 22” barrel. My 8yo handles it ok, but would handle it better if the barrel was 18” especially since it always has a suppressor on the end of it. Wish I’d thought of giving it to him when I was building it a few years ago for one of the APR builds, but I had planned for it to be mine. Ended up putting the stock on it to take to Africa incase he wanted to shoot something, but he hasn’t been quite ready to take a life and I’m sure not going to rush him. He loves being in the stand with me and I always have his rifle incase he decides today is the day.
                                I’m in the same boat as you. My 7 year old killed his first deer when he was 6 and is all about it. I think it may take my 5 year old a little longer to jump in, but I’m definitely not going to push it.

Comment

Working...
                                X