Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French Cleat storage wall - GrandPa tribute.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French Cleat storage wall - GrandPa tribute.

I was way too young to remember either of my GrandPa's. They both passed before I was 2. I recall from conversation how my Mom and Dad, Aunts and Uncles would remark how much I was like each of them. On Maternal side, GrandPa was a machinist. He was part of the team that built and then maintained the Atomic Clock / Cesium fountain clock in Boulder, Colo. On Paternal side, an Arkansas dirt farmer that eventually sold the land, bought a full service gas station in Monticello, Ark. My Dad kept as many of the tools from both, and passed them down to me (of the three kids and youngest, I was the only one mechanically interested / inclined). I remember my Dad telling me about one GrandPa's "wall". It was a french cleat wall he built by his workshop desk. He had all sorts of interesting ways to store things and keep things in easy reach, I am told. "Fast Forward" 50+ years, I have finally built my french cleat wall in the shop. Left side in 8'x8', right side is 4'x8'. 1/2" plywood screwed to drywall / studs, with the french cleat portions out of 3/4" birch. Less than $150 into it. I have arranged, rearranged as needed. I continue to build different shelves, hanging mechanisms, etc. I am really enjoying it. I keep telling my wife, there is so much room now, I need more tools to put on it!

KJ

Click image for larger version

Name:	french cleat 1.png
Views:	1
Size:	1,023.2 KB
ID:	25231583
    Attached Files

That's awesome!!

Very nice and cool tribute to your Grand Pa!!

Comment

I love organization but I am not so good At it.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Originally posted by KRB View Post
        That's awesome!!

Very nice and cool tribute to your Grand Pa!!
        Thank you! Really enjoying it! KJ

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
          I love organization but I am not so good At it.

.....and God Bless America.
          Admittedly, I am not the best. However, with more and more things having a permanent home, I am getting better each week / project about putting things back 'home'. KJ

Comment

Looks great ! Really impressive work.

Comment

Looks great. I wish I could bring myself to do that. I start off with good intentions, but usually end up with everything thrown in a pile on top of the workbench.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                Looks great ! Really impressive work.
                Thanks, enjoyed it. I used Dad's Sears RAS for some of it. Fun to use those tools, brought back a flood of good memories working with my Dad.
                He would say sometimes to my attention to detail: "Son, you aint bulidin' a pianny (piano)!"

KJ

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                  Looks great. I wish I could bring myself to do that. I start off with good intentions, but usually end up with everything thrown in a pile on top of the workbench.
                  That is where I was. With second son (16) now in the shop working with me, I HAD to organize! KJ

Comment

I sure wish i was organized like that. Very nice set up

Comment

Well, I'm officially inspired and know what my next project is. Nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post

Not showing ANYONE the other areas of the shop - STILL working those. Start small, I will get there, you can too! Or so I keep telling myself!
                        KJ

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
                          Well, I'm officially inspired and know what my next project is. Nice work.
                          Riverbowman, you ought to get after it! The most time consuming part is ripping the 3/4" birch with this 45 degree cuts. Then, the sanding / painting. Worth it!
                          KJ

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            Thank you, flywise!
                            KJ

Comment

Nice I like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X