No announcement yet.

Hunting bow question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it’s what you like or what your shoulders like. I have 7 bows hanging in my closet right now, on some days I shoot my Full Throttle with now problems, shoulder doesn’t bother me or anything. On other days my when my shoulder is bothering me I shoot my 60# DNA. I absolutely love my Full Throttle it’s very fast & shoots great but some days I think it’s a lot of over kill for what we hunt around here, so here lately I’ve been contemplating on getting a 50# max bow. With a sharp broad head & good tunes bow 50# would be no problem for what we hunt.

Comment

my mathews z7 is set in the 50's. i seriously doubt i could even pull 70#, let alone hold it for any period of length.

Comment

Most folks are way overbowed because it's just the manly thing to do but 50-60#, a good shot, a well tuned arrow and a sharp broadhead will kill just about anything you would want to shoot at with a bow.

Dudes are blowing through elk with 50# stickbows, any compound is going to blow that way out of the water so don't worry about proving your manliness.

Go to the local shop and tell them you are in the market and try a bunch of different bows, a good shop will be more than willing to help you out.

Comment

So many guys get hung up on weight and speed. A well tuned bow in the 50# to 60# range with a good broadhead, will do the job. Any good shop is going to tell you to start lower, get your fundamentals, and then if you feel the need, up the weight. It doesn't matter if you can pull 100# if you're the guy aiming at the ceiling to draw back and can't hit the target at 20 yards.

Comment

Like everyone is saying start out low and get your fundamentals down first.. I'd suggest buying used to do this. I shoot 70 lbs most of the time. I can draw more but it's harder to shoot consistently out to longer ranges.. I'm shooting 29.5 inch draw and a 490 grain arrow in the 280s.. that gives me enough pin gap that I can make out the different pins in low light.. I could get by with less draw weight but I can easily shoot where I am today ..

Comment

I believe mine is at 62 lbs right now, plenty for me and comfy to shoot. First-hand experience that it goes right through large pigs.

Comment

50-60 pound bows will kill anything, shot placement is the key!!

God Bless
                Bish

Comment

No point in going above 60lbs, especially for whitetail, your shoulders will thank you. I shot my zebra through both shoulders set at 60lbs, not a complete pass through but 12" of arrow sticking out the off side.

Comment

60 is plenty. Blew through my zebra with a rage quartering away and never found the arrow. I only shoot 70 now cause I can and I’m shooting a heck of a lot heavier arrow now. My dad kills deer and pigs at 60 lbs with pass throughs every year with whatever rage he grabs, with 380 gr arrows

Comment

I have a hoyt for sale if you'd be interested.
                      60 to 70lbs.

Comment

The saying I see a lot on this site is: how far do you need the arrow to bury in the ground after it has passed through a whitetail deer.
                        I moved to a 60# when my shoulders hurt too bad. Now I am trying to heal after back surgery so I can pull that.

Comment

Go shoot lots of bows. Like many have said, you don't have to shoot a heavy bow to kill deer. My wife shoots 42 pounds and has killed every deer she has shot. Lots of opinions on poundage on these forums. I always enjoy reading them. Go to a good bow shop and just start shooting bows. You'll figure out what is right for you pretty quick.

Comment

61lb hoyt blew through a bull elk at 20 yards. Killed tons of critters with it. No need for 70lb unless of course you are really strong and can pull 70lbs super easy.

Comment

I have no idea idea what # I'm pulling. I bought it & paid for fitting/setup all at once several years ago & haven't thought about it since. Truly have no idea.

Comment

Some of those that have pulled 70# for years now find their shoulders shot, that’s one reason, and I’m one of them. I had to drop poundage ten years ago and I can’t say it did anything but help.

Comment

Working...
                                X