Remedy diesel use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remedy diesel use

I was kinda surprised to read on the Dow remedy site that unused remedy diesel mix should be discarded after 24 hours.. I've had it last no problem over the winter and since getting my mesquite under control I still never use what I mix in 24 hours. Sometimes that's only 1/2 pint. I can paint 50/60 small trees with .5 pint

Anyone know why Dow would state that?

To sell more Remedy?

Comment

Originally posted by CaseyB View Post
      To sell more Remedy?
      And we have a winner....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

I know that would be the case but we're talking 24 hours here. Mighty quick for that recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
          I was kinda surprised to read on the Dow remedy site that unused remedy diesel mix should be discarded after 24 hours.. I've had it last no problem over the winter and since getting my mesquite under control I still never use what I mix in 24 hours. Sometimes that's only 1/2 pint. I can paint 50/60 small trees with .5 pint

Anyone know why Dow would state that?
          When you say paint, what exactly do you mean?? Trying to control some mesquites as well...

Comment

Quite literally, paint it on with a brush. If you have a lot it's not the way. I once had many thousands, maybe tens of thousands on just one 40 ac pasture. After 15 years of control I'm down to a few hundred a year. If they happened to get mowed down I paint on the stems. Otherwise its the remedy/ reclaim foliar spray.

Painting is also how I do cut stumps. Unless they are really big. One thing you can't do with mesquite is a one time controll. It just about never ends. I have a book called Texas Wild that says a mesquite bean can lie dormant for 50 years. Look at the TAMU Brushbusters site.
            Last edited by Kossetx; 07-09-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

^^^Thank you for the information.^^^

Comment

They also recommend 25% remedy. Which is outrageous. It will kill it deader than dead. I have gotten down to a 5% mix and when basal applied from first true branches down to the crown on huisache I get 99-100% kill. On fingerlings up to 4” trunks. Do it when it’s hot and dry, the ground is cracked away from the base of the trunk allowing it to reach the crown easier

Comment

They've backed off the 25% and now say 15-25%. I still use 25% on any cut stump over 3". I do want them to die.

Comment

Sendero or Remedy for Mesquite?

Comment

So lets say we want to spray small mesquites next year around our feedpens and shooting lanes. What time of the year is best an what ratio mixture of diesel to Remedy should I use? I probably have 50-60 I need to get dead and will probably find some more too. Tired of trimming them back every year. None larger that the size of a pencil .....

Is spring green up the best time?

I also have one large stump that's probably 6" wide that keeps shooting up new plants every year. I've drill holes in it to help it rot but that seems to just make it hold water better and grow. Somebody told me to put epsom salt on it and in the holes....
                      Last edited by Smart; 07-10-2019, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Jason, I have had great results at our Menard pasture with the 25% remedy and 75% diesel mixture on all sizes of mesquite. I achieve 100% kill by spraying in early August before the trees prepare to go dormant. I spray from the base of the stem or tree, up about 18". I additionally do not cut/snap off the sprayed trees/stems until the next year. The 25/75 mixture will kill that 6" stump completely as well. I also soak those stubborn mesquites that grow in the middle of the roads as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
                          Jason, I have had great results at our Menard pasture with the 25% remedy and 75% diesel mixture on all sizes of mesquite. I achieve 100% kill by spraying in early August before the trees prepare to go dormant. I spray from the base of the stem or tree, up about 18". I additionally do not cut/snap off the sprayed trees/stems until the next year. The 25/75 mixture will kill that 6" stump completely as well. I also soak those stubborn mesquites that grow in the middle of the roads as well.

Great info....although I am not real sure about loading up my feedpens and area roads with diesel that close to season. Is there a second best time to do it?..

Thank you Lee320

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            So lets say we want to spray small mesquites next year around our feedpens and shooting lanes. What time of the year is best an what ratio mixture of diesel to Remedy should I use? I probably have 50-60 I need to get dead and will probably find some more too. Tired of trimming them back every year. None larger that the size of a pencil .....

Is spring green up the best time?

I also have one large stump that's probably 6" wide that keeps shooting up new plants every year. I've drill holes in it to help it rot but that seems to just make it hold water better and grow. Somebody told me to put epsom salt on it and in the holes....
                            Do it right now. As long as you aren't in a drought and they are growing it will kill them. Also, don't you want them out of the way? Cut them even with the ground and spray the cut stump immediately. They will be gone and never come back. Be careful to just get the spray on the cut stump that way it won't kill all the grass around it.

Take your chainsaw and cut the top off that 6" stump and spray it down good with the remedy mixture and it will be dead.

I have hand cut and sprayed over a thousand Huisache plants that way on my farm. As far as I can tell it never effected deer movement. I used 25% but others are saying it doesn't take that much.

Comment

The diesel makes a great cover scent!! Never had an issue with the fuel bothering the deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X