No announcement yet.

Worst meal a guest ever brought to eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For us it’s usually a honey bun before we go to the stand. We always cook a big breakfast when we get back. Biscuits bacon sausage eggs etc. chips and dip/salsa and cold beer during the day. Then hunt and have steaks and taters or chili or something nice for supper. We all like to eat and cook so it’s no biggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
      You sound like a terrible guest to invite, unless your jam up cook wife sent you down with something to heat up
      I would just as soon turn down a hunt as a guest to a nice place to kill a free animal or not offer to pay of gas and ice on someone else boat , then show up with out some thing decent to eat and a bottle or two of my host favorite brand of whiskey as a token of appreciation
      You see that’s the deal I’m the one doing the inviting
      I invite people to come hunting at my place I’m not the one needing to go to theirs
      Plus I don’t drink, never had much use for the stuff so yeah the people I invite can bring whatever they want or don’t want, if they bring something that’s fine I do appreciate the gesture more than the object.
      Sometimes I’m not even there when I let people go hunting
      I invite people to share the fellowship
      I have two places, a ranch south of Alpine and a ranch in Fredericksburg so if they are hunting mule deer they are usually too tired to stay up and cook too much and if they are at the hill country place then they are one of my Marine or Army buddies and we just like to talk and hang out. We don’t eat much as it is
      I’ll say when I was younger I was big into having food be a part of outings but now it doesn’t really matter to me. I find much more elation from just seeing my buddies

Comment

The food selection isn't a big deal to me at deer camp. I'm there to hunt & drink some adult beverages with my buddies afterwards. Now, some of our guys believe that deer camp is the time to gorge like a starving python without the wife there to yell at them for getting too fat............................to each their own. BTW, I love bologna at deer camp.

Comment

When hunting, I eat, what I can find to eat. I don't expect five star restaurant meals. Bologna and cheese sandwiches work great for me, lunch dinner whatever. Yea, it's nice to have a nice steak or pork chops for dinner at times. Usually when I am hunting, I am hunting, I don't worry much about what's for dinner. I will live off of beef jerky, trail mix and bottled water. If I can find good beef jerky, I will live off of that and water. At times, when there was time to sit back and relax in the evenings, we have cooked dead critters, even brought steaks on a few occasions, but that was a long time ago.
          I am all for eating a nice meal once the hunting is over and I get home. Your buddies idea of hunting or how he grew up hunting may have been, may be a bit different from your idea of hunting. I have hunted with a lot of people over the years and learned many people have very different ideas about how and what you do, when you go hunting. Some have some very serious traditions they follow when they go. Others are extremely grateful that you let them go hunting, others want to talk business, some think the whole purpose of going hunting is to get drunk as possible, the later two I don't like to hunt with at all. When I hunt it's about hunting and enjoying being outdoors and learning what I can.

Comment

You sound like a terrible guest to invite, unless your jam up cook wife sent you down with something to heat up
            I would just as soon turn down a hunt as a guest to a nice place to kill a free animal or not offer to pay of gas and ice on someone else boat , then show up with out some thing decent to eat and a bottle or two of my host favorite brand of whiskey as a token of appreciation
            We hunt a very private place in the Hill Country. The landowner and wife have been friends for years. It is free.
            We show up with high end cigars and bottles of wine. {She drinks wine}
            Friday night they put down a good country meal - we drove 4.5 hours today. Saturday morning we have coffee in their 5K mocha machine with powdered doughnuts and a banana.
            Lunch we drive into Austin and get freaky.
            Saturday night is all me. Have never cooked them the same meal twice.
            I have done everything from cioppino to lamb...

You high end land owners should give me a call. Guide / cook...........

Fixing to retire.........

Comment

We eat better at the lease than I do at home sometimes!! I like it that way!!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                If I’m by myself/without the wife, I’ll eat sausage and tortillas with mustard for every meal. I don’t like doing a bunch of cooking, too much stuff to clean up.
                I do the same thing when I'm by myself just filling feeders and getting stuff done.

Comment

When I am a guest at my buddies... its steaks/potatoes/mac n cheese for dinner... breakfast is chorizo/eggs or bacon/eggs... lunch is usually lunch meat.. but I bring cheese/mayo/bread.

I also bring beer/soda/water.

Just being thankful to get an offer to hunt.. buying a couple good meals/drinks is a small price to pay

If I were hunting my own place..by myself... lunch meat, frozen dinners would be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

You sound like my wife!! Every meal she has must be the most complicated ever with all kinds of stuff. I like to like my life a lot simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                      We hunt a very private place in the Hill Country. The landowner and wife have been friends for years. It is free.
                      We show up with high end cigars and bottles of wine. {She drinks wine}
                      Friday night they put down a good country meal - we drove 4.5 hours today. Saturday morning we have coffee in their 5K mocha machine with powdered doughnuts and a banana.
                      Lunch we drive into Austin and get freaky.
                      Saturday night is all me. Have never cooked them the same meal twice.
                      I have done everything from cioppino to lamb...

You high end land owners should give me a call. Guide / cook...........

Fixing to retire.........
                      Your invited to Batson this fall! (We borrow the land from Crown Timber.....but still you sound like our kinda fella!)

Comment

We eat like kings as a group on Sat night.. Brisket , pulled pork ribs etc ....all stuff presmoked, packaged correctly, frozen and preheated.. and we mesquite grill a lot of ribeyes, tablitas, fajitas, chicken wings, burgers, jap poppers, etc, etc ....and guess what! We still hunt too!?!....I know unbelievable..

Thursdays and Fridays are good grills as well but not near as involved. We have a gas grill on premises if we are just doing sausage or some quick cheap pork chops on the non Sat nights. Always a big breakfast on Saturdays as well as a group. And we hunted again before it.!! We rarely eat a lunch because the breakfast is big and later. When there is low attendance I will eat sandwiches in place of a late breakfast and grill sausage, boudain and burgers too just for myself.. but camp life is a big part of our hunting lease and if there is a good group of folks in camp, I like to do it up right and usually do most of that cooking.. We eat, we drink, we converse, we laugh and we kill ****!!....
                        Last edited by Smart; 07-07-2019, 08:41 PM.

Comment

You sound like my dad. Back when I was younger he would go all out on hunting trips. Going out west he would spend more on food, than the trip cost, including tags. He would have a full kitchen set up in the wall tent. We used to joke about how we could leave the mules at home if he didn't try to open a restaurant in the Mts every yr.
                          He has always been an entertainer though, and absolutely loved it.
                          Used to hate having to pack and unpack all that ****!!

Comment

I grew up working in restaurants so when I feel like it I end up cooking pretty big meals. I do enjoy a steak over mesquite at deer camp but I’m also just as happy with sausage and tortilla.

Heck my wife is leaving town tomorrow for the week and I’m looking forward to having spam and eggs, spam fried rice and loco moco while she’s gone... sometimes the simple things are pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoodkiller View Post
                              For us it’s usually a honey bun before we go to the stand. We always cook a big breakfast when we get back. Biscuits bacon sausage eggs etc. chips and dip/salsa and cold beer during the day. Then hunt and have steaks and taters or chili or something nice for supper. We all like to eat and cook so it’s no biggie.

We do something very similar to this. A good breakfast after the morning hunt. Grill steaks or burgers for dinner and Always have fried taters.

We do something simple like sammiches for lunch.

Comment

I have a friend that WAS getting invited to the lease, and when he came out to help me fill feeders, I would bring steaks and salad for dinner and stuff like hamburgers for lunch and eggs and bacon or breakfast tacos, and lots of snacks
                                Well last time I invited him to come hunting, he insisted on bringing the food for the weekend, it was a precooked broasted chicken , a can of beans and some canned corn, next morning it was a box of powdered doughnuts for breakfast
                                And lunch was a loaf of white bread a pack of bologna and a jar of yellow mustard ( no cheese or chips ) , I looked in his ice chest and dinner would have been
                                Earl Campbell hot links and a pack of tortillas, yellow mustard
                                I let him kill a decent MLD management buck , so we ate some fried back straps
                                ( which he wasn’t very happy about me commendering for our dinner and breakfast the next day) , I never let him insist on bringing the food again.
                                He had plenty of cash so I don’t think money was the issue ( just a cheap B )
                                So has anyone had a cheap guy or some guy bring some horrible leftovers like frozen hamburger helper
                                Or was I just expecting to much

P.S the wasn’t a camping trip, but a really nice lodge setting
                                OMG, Some people know how to "Meal" and some people just know how to get by. The point is he supplied what he knew how to do, you supplied what you know how to do (yours was better but his was his best). Eat the balonaga and cheese crackers and tell him great job.

Comment

Working...
                                X