No announcement yet.

Bare shaft tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never used masking tape, always electrical, but as long as you got the weight correct it should make no difference.

What type of rest are you shooting? Can you move it in or out?

Comment

Originally posted by andreww5001 View Post
      So I used a fletched arrow to show you what straight is. I put a lumenok in the back and wrapped with masking tape to simulate vain weight. I also backed my bow out one turn (approx 3 pounds) and this was the result. Still a similar impact to what I’ve been getting. I might need to double check the bow tune again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Your vanes obviously corrected the flight of the shaft.
      What distance did you shoot at?

Comment

Judging from just the entry point of the arrow,and overlooking the angle for now, I am starting to think that your arrows are too stiff. turn your bow UP 2 full rotations if you can and see if you get a closer to center poi, and straighter entry angle.
        Also you never mention the type of rest you have or if you have tried moving it in very small increments towards the riser. That might also be an issue to deal with if you can get any improvement with the draw weight adjustments

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
          Your vanes obviously corrected the flight of the shaft.
          What distance did you shoot at?

This was at 20 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
            Judging from just the entry point of the arrow,and overlooking the angle for now, I am starting to think that your arrows are too stiff. turn your bow UP 2 full rotations if you can and see if you get a closer to center poi, and straighter entry angle.
            Also you never mention the type of rest you have or if you have tried moving it in very small increments towards the riser. That might also be an issue to deal with if you can get any improvement with the draw weight adjustments

I’m shooting a ultra rest. I can move it. I did tinker with that a little. When I made adjustments the tears got even worse and when I went the other direction the arrow was significantly off center so that it was visibly noticeable while just sitting on the rest. The rest was super close to my riser at that point.

I hope the arrow is a little too stiff. I can do a ton of stuff to correct that but archers advantage software was indicating that I’d be fighting the shaft being under spined. I’m drawing 28.5 inches and the arrows are cut to 28. I have a 75 grain outsert on them with wraps, three fletch, and a lumenok. I’m having to shoot a 100 grain head to keep the weight from being to much for this 300 spine arrow according to the software. Also my bow is not slow at 338 IBO.

I did mention earlier that I had tried 175 grain tips on top of the 75 grain outsert and that did not remedy the problem at all.

Comment

How do Broadheads impact?

Here’s why I ask, fletching fixes 2 things, minor launch issues and minor form issues. You could be chasing your tail on something that can’t be fixed tinkering when it’s something in the shot. Remember you have ZERO correction built into those arrows. If Broadheads fly great and group with field points, go hunt! If not keep looking for an issue

It’s become some type of witchcraft that you “must tune the bow to you…”. No… the bow is tuned or it’s not. There’s a small grey area in customization there but not enough that everyone can A. Shoot a bullet hole. Or B. Get Broadheads and field points to group…. Not everyone can do it. And that’s ok!!! ….. that why we hunt with fletching. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                How do Broadheads impact?

Here’s why I ask, fletching fixes 2 things, minor launch issues and minor form issues. You could be chasing your tail on something that can’t be fixed tinkering when it’s something in the shot. Remember you have ZERO correction built into those arrows. If Broadheads fly great and group with field points, go hunt! If not keep looking for an issue

It’s become some type of witchcraft that you “must tune the bow to you…”. No… the bow is tuned or it’s not. There’s a small grey area in customization there but not enough that everyone can A. Shoot a bullet hole. Or B. Get Broadheads and field points to group…. Not everyone can do it. And that’s ok!!! ….. that why we hunt with fletching. Lol
                if the arrow not leaving the bow straight, which it appears it is not, for whatever reason then the BH are going to fly horrific as you will put a sail on the front of the arrow. Fix the problem and shoot straight or use an expandable and mask the root cause of your issue.

Comment

Not shooting a poorly tuned arrow and I’m definitely not shooting a mechanical broadhead. The reason I posted on here two months before season is to fix the problem. I’m building arrows from scratch and tuning this bow to maximize the lethality of my set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                    if the arrow not leaving the bow straight, which it appears it is not, for whatever reason then the BH are going to fly horrific as you will put a sail on the front of the arrow. Fix the problem and shoot straight or use an expandable and mask the root cause of your issue.
                    100% agreed…… BUT the perfect arrow, with perfect tune…. And a minor grip pressure issue, face pressure, release form, bow arm… ect. And you chase your tail for ZERO gain.

That’s why I ask how does it shoot Broadheads at the current state it let the pro shop?

Nothing wrong with wanting the best you can get, but that ceiling is limited to the weakest component in the equation

I can take a 1 hole bench gun and give it to my 5 yo…. Still a 1 hole gun, just not in his hands. That’s not a dog at OP, I don’t know his skill level, but I know some insane 3D archers that can’t shoot a bullet hole… they are just incredibly repeatable and have an amazing ability to aim!
                    Last edited by Low Fence; 08-02-2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andreww5001 View Post
                      Not shooting a poorly tuned arrow and I’m definitely not shooting a mechanical broadhead. The reason I posted on here two months before season is to fix the problem. I’m building arrows from scratch and tuning this bow to maximize the lethality of my set up.

Outstanding to hear....you are on the right track if you learn the variables and work on them one at a time. I would step back to 40 and shoot the bare shaft. The error will be big enough that small changes will be noticeable.

Comment

where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                          where are you?

Located south of Ft Worth about 20 mins.

Comment

Did I miss where you listed your draw length and draw weight?
                            I'm no tuning expert, but I'm having a little trouble seeing how you're so overspined with a 300 shaft, that a small bit of tweaking on the arrow rest won't clean up your bare shaft arrow flight, and bring your bare shaft and fletched shaft together.
                            Last edited by HeyMikey; 08-02-2021, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                              Did I miss where you listed your draw length and draw weight?
                              I'm no tuning expert, but I'm having a little trouble seeing how you're so overspined with a 300 shaft, that a small bit of tweaking on the arrow rest won't bring your bare shaft and fletched shaft together.

28.5 inches at 70 pounds w/ 75 grain outsert on a 28 inch arrow and 100 grains up front.

Comment

This shot was with a 300 grain field tip and the 75 grain outsert. I think it’s pretty clear based upon impact direction that I am not dealing with a spine issue.

I have moved my rest a hash mark in either direction and while I can make a decent tear through paper, when I move out to distance the impact is consistently angular to the fletched arrow. I don’t think I’m within micro tuning conversation. I think I’m still pretty far from achieving a decent tune.

I’m getting close to having a Traverse in the classifieds… [emoji35]

Comment

Working...
                                X