What kinda deer is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    Do they change colors As they getOlder? The does that come across my lease from time to time are chocolate
    There are different subspecies of sika deer. The different subspecies have different coloring and markings.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
      There are different subspecies of sika deer. The different subspecies have different coloring and markings.
      Interesting, appreciate the info. I would have just assumed the spotted one was a n axis

Comment

Sika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Axis

Comment

I would have said Axis

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              Do they change colors As they getOlder? The does that come across my lease from time to time are chocolate
              Here's a pic from this morning at one of my feeders. Two sika in front - one red and spotted, and the other chocolate/black. The dark ones (Japanese) can be kinda two-tone with black on the top half and dark brown on the lower half, or sometimes more black all over or more chocolate all over. The red ones (Dybowski) have more white on their rump and tail, and they have white spots. Vast majority of the free range axis in the Hill Country are crosses of the various sub-species, I'm sure. Hardly any pure strains in the free range herds unless they recently escaped from a high fence, I imagine.

The doe in the back is an axis. She has a bright white throat patch and a dark stripe down her spine with two rows of white spots. Also has white legs. Sika don't have white legs or throat patch.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Shane; 06-23-2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Just realized I typed "Vast majority of the free range axis in the Hill Country are crosses of the various sub-species, I'm sure." I meant to say free range sika.

Even when typing, it's hard to keep them straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Here's a pic from this morning at one of my feeders. Two sika in front - one red and spotted, and the other chocolate/black. The dark ones (Japanese) can be kinda two-tone with black on the top half and dark brown on the lower half, or sometimes more black all over or more chocolate all over. The red ones (Dybowski) have more white on their rump and tail, and they have white spots. Vast majority of the free range axis in the Hill Country are crosses of the various sub-species, I'm sure. Hardly any pure strains in the free range herds unless they recently escaped from a high fence, I imagine.

The doe in the back is an axis. She has a bright white throat patch and a dark stripe down her spine with two rows of white spots. Also has white legs. Sika don't have white legs or throat patch.
                  Interesting 🤔
                  Never knew any of that. In 30 years I have never seen an Axis on my place and only a couple Sika doe. Land owner shot a Sika buck about 15 years ago. Hoping one day they get more common

Comment

Working...
                  X