Dozer/ Track loader? advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dozer/ Track loader? advice needed

Just wanted to see what folks opinions were that had some experience.

We own a hair over 50ac in central texas that needs some clean up. I have a small tank that I want to expand a couple acres - lots of clay just a few feet down. 3ac of small mesquites that we squabble with a little. Lots of hackberries that need cleaned up around fence lines, 10 acres of overgrown and tree filled virgin property. And I want to build a boat ramp/hard cut into 30 foot bank down to the creek.

All sandy loam with lots of clay not far down. I have a 35hp 4x4 tractor that I have been digging the tank out with, and it is miserably slow. I cut a couple inches at a time down to the clay, pile it up, and move it 100yds via a 5 yd dump trailer to use a fill dirt around the house. problem is I'm not making much headway. I can dig, fill, and spread about 15yds an hour by myself, but I could increase production 10x I think with a better machine.

I am looking towards a small dozer or track loader, under 20k, that I can purchase, use for a couple years, and then sell for close to what I gave.

Which piece of equipment it best suited for these tasks? I will live on the property, so I hope to get 5-10 hours a week of operation if life allows.

What would you do? And don't say skid steer; I had one out here and it wasn't much better than my 4x4 tractor. Also had a big JD backhoe, and was disappointed in how poorly it dug with the front bucket for a 16k pound machine. I could always digs with arm, and move with bucket, but DAMMMM those price are so much higher than the smaller dozers and loaders.

What say you?

Track loader all day.

Comment

I would bid out someone to do the work for you unless you are skilled at building ponds and moving dirt . Had a dozer at my place for a year and for the money and time it was not worth it for me to keep the unit . IMO

Comment

Dozier

Buy use sell

Comment

The track loader is worthless if you ask me for any of that. Especially digging or pushing dirt. That sandy loam isn't worth a darn on wheeled units.
          I run skid steers and dozers.
          For your job, I'd have the pond hired out and the rest I would do with a skidsteer. There are plenty of implements you can use to get the job done.

A small dresser is what your looking at for 20k or less probably. But you can get alot done with that as well.

Comment

I have a Case 1155E track loader I'll sell you at a pretty reasonable price.

Comment

If it were me I would hire it out. I keep my tractor for things that it is suited for. Pushing dirt ain't one of them. You buy a used track machine you may be getting a can of worms that you can put a ton of money and time into without getting your main job done.
              I spent a career in heavy equipment and have seen many people do what you are thinking and end up with an expensive pile of useless iron sitting in the pasture.

Comment

Look for a track loader with a clam bucket, best of both

Comment

Your buying a **** for less than 20k, and I’d hire the pond out. I have over 30 pieces of heavy iron and you couldn’t give me anything that size under 20k, the repair costs alone will eat you alive the first time it breaks down and render your savings worthless and end up costing you money. You need an excavator anyway and not a dozer or track loader for the pond, by the sounds of it about a 15 ton rig at least and you can’t buy one of those under 20k either. If I had a dollar every time we had to fix screw ups on jobs exactly like your describing I’d have a pocket full of dollars lol The fence rows and the pond are 2 totally separate needs.
                  I hope I didn’t damper the mood but be forewarned, old iron is stupid expensive to maintain

Comment

all across the board answers above................

years ago I did as the OP stated. I bought an old track loader for less than $10k. I cleared cedar, dug ponds, fixed drainage, and endless other projects. 15 years later I sold it for twice what I paid for it. One of the best decisions I ever made. And......there are many times since I wish I still had it.

Comment

I'm liking the feedback so far. I've operated a lot of equipment, none professionally, but do have some experience. I like to think I could do it; a jack of all trades, master of none type.

Wide track loaders are hard to come by. I do not want a rubber tire machine- strictly tracks. Would love some meaty grousers, but I have some old asphalt that I don't want to completely tear up or pay to replace.

Quotes for this size of tank in Waco area are 10-20k, so in my mind, i could get a lot more for the money (plus the satisfaction) purchasing my own machine.

I'm pretty handy, and can repair most things and have mechanic friends.

Not scared of a little Work, but i don't want to rebuild undercarriages and r&i steer clutches.

I just don't think a skid steer would be any quicker on main task - i agree to the infinite capabilities of the attachments. But the exponentially higher cost of purchase is the most obvious deal breaker there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

There is an older Cat track loader on Facebook Market Place right now not to far from you. The ad said it is in good shape and it's on a ranch. It looks to be about D6 size. Do a search for dozers and it should come up. It looks like a 955. Take a good Cat mechanic with you that's familiar with these old machines. You can get hurt in repairs quickly on any machine if you own it. Final drives, transmission, undercarriage, and motors can get expensive real quick no matter the bargain you got initially. These old machines are tough and can move a lot of dirt but don't get it stuck in the bottom of a tank. As others above said, get a professional to do it and focus on the other stuff or rent a new Cat 953 for a month or an excavator and get it done and return it. New equipment is a lot more civil in operation then the old iron. Radios, AC, heater, joysticks are a lot more pleasant in a 8-10 hour day then pulling levers on the old stuff. My body feels the wear and tear of the good old days running the old iron. Just my 2 cents....

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                          If it were me I would hire it out. I keep my tractor for things that it is suited for. Pushing dirt ain't one of them. You buy a used track machine you may be getting a can of worms that you can put a ton of money and time into without getting your main job done.
                          I spent a career in heavy equipment and have seen many people do what you are thinking and end up with an expensive pile of useless iron sitting in the pasture.
                          Good advice here.

Comment

I know some guys that will make a skidsteer do wonders
                            I thought I was a good operator until I met a guy recently that has a brand new unit... Holy smokes
                            Hire it out

Comment

A dozer all day long.

Comment

Working...
                              X