X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Look into Isokern fireplaces, we have one indoors and one outdoor on the porch, they are full size masonry with some prefabed component so the design is proven.

That said, with a good fire in one I wouldn’t want to stand in front of it long enough to cook steaks

Comment

Originally posted by Cabela View Post
        I would not recommend doing a wood burner stick with a gas unit if you have to have an outdoor fireplace. Figure another means for cooking steaks etc...the drafting could be a big issue you don’t want to deal with after all said and done.

No offense but I’m not a gas fireplace kind of guy. Wood burning only for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
          No offense but I’m not a gas fireplace kind of guy. Wood burning only for me.

None taken just trying to be helpful with experience. The Isokern bboswell mentioned above is a great fireplace but we have had drafting issues with these outdoors as wood burners and they aren’t cheap. We have added fans to the chimney caps to try and help...more money spent and same result. Again it may work for your build or you are good with it knowing there’s a chance it may not draft like you expected just wanted to throw it out there. Post pics of the build I’m sure it will be killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Avid Hunter View Post
            Need to take more recent pictures. Done quite a bit more and working on fireplace now
            That looks great! I’m planning to do something similar at the coast, does it get smoky when you use your grill? I want to have a couple eggs in mine and am curious about smoke clearing, I really do not want to do a hood.

Comment

We are wanting to add a covered outdoor kitchen area by our pool It will be detached from our house. I've talked my wife into letting me have a wood burning fire place, but want I want the fire box to be high enough and big enough to cook steaks on. Have any of y'all designed and built anything like this? Please post pictures.
              My BIL had a grill set up built out of stainless for his outdoor fireplace at his old house. It looked really good and was built right but was not real practical to use, couldn’t get to the back of grill w/out pulling it out etc. I think the problem you run into is if your firebox is tall enough to cook on then it won’t draft properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                Matt, I would reconsider having too big of a firebox. We have a large one, huge, at the ranch and it doesn't draw well at all. We had to put glass doors on the front in fact to make it draw, and it is an indoor unit. You can buy prefab wood burning boxes for outdoors and that may be the way to go, and get creative on your grill top to set in it. Also, you are going to heat up a ton of stone or brick if you cook in the summer time and it will be a warm experience. Why not a fireplace and egg over a few feet away for cooking?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                Look into Isokern fireplaces, we have one indoors and one outdoor on the porch, they are full size masonry with some prefabed component so the design is proven.

That said, with a good fire in one I wouldn’t want to stand in front of it long enough to cook steaks

Was thinking about combining these 2, but might just have both.

Comment

None taken just trying to be helpful with experience. The Isokern bboswell mentioned above is a great fireplace but we have had drafting issues with these outdoors as wood burners and they aren’t cheap. We have added fans to the chimney caps to try and help...more money spent and same result. Again it may work for your build or you are good with it knowing there’s a chance it may not draft like you expected just wanted to throw it out there. Post pics of the build I’m sure it will be killer.

This was the one we had built at our old house. It drafted ok. The fire box was not big enough to keep you warm on a cold night.

Comment

Need to take more recent pictures. Done quite a bit more and working on fireplace now

Looks great. Post more pictures please.

Comment

This was the one we had built at our old house. It drafted ok. The fire box was not big enough to keep you warm on a cold night.

I don’t see an issue with that set up drafting. When you incorporate that box in a structure it has to extend through the roof line and above as a wood burner. So depending on structure dimensions/heights that’s what I would recommend talking with fireplace company about.

Comment

I don’t see an issue with that set up drafting. When you incorporate that box in a structure it has to extend through the roof line and above as a wood burner. So depending on structure dimensions/heights that’s what I would recommend talking with fireplace company about.

None will draft perfect if it’s windy. I don’t mind some smoke since it’s going to be outside. The key with any fire place or wood stove is having a big enough fire to keep the chimney hot. That is what makes it draft.

Comment

None will draft perfect if it’s windy. I don’t mind some smoke since it’s going to be outside. The key with any fire place or wood stove is having a big enough fire to keep the chimney hot. That is what makes it draft.

Even without wind I’ve seen issues with a big fire rolling keeping the box hot. End of the day if you are aware of some smoke backdrafting and you are good with it...build it! I prefer that look over gas all day for outdoors personally.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                            That looks great! I’m planning to do something similar at the coast, does it get smoky when you use your grill? I want to have a couple eggs in mine and am curious about smoke clearing, I really do not want to do a hood.
                            No Issues at all with smoke . The ceilings are high enough for it to dissipate, plus the fan on ceiling will help if it was needed. I literally fire up my smoker under it with no issues. I also set up 2 fans with a high pressure misting system via remote control which cools the area down about 20 degrees in the summer time. The back portion of the structure that I park under is 10 ft ceiling with an attic above for extra storage. The entertainment portion peaks at about 20 ft.

Comment

No Issues at all with smoke . The ceilings are high enough for it to dissipate, plus the fan on ceiling will help if it was needed. I literally fire up my smoker under it with no issues. I also set up 2 fans with a high pressure misting system via remote control which cools the area down about 20 degrees in the summer time. The back portion of the structure that I park under is 10 ft ceiling with an attic above for extra storage. The entertainment portion peaks at about 20 ft.
                              Very nice, how high are your sides?

Comment

9 ftish. I have lots of build pics if interested let me know

Comment

Working...
                                X