Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DKW II View Post
    X3
    I loved hang ‘em feeders, but there is some maintenance or else.
    I ain’t worried about a deer hiding behind a feeder.
    The biggest concern is varmint-proofing. There are several ways
    And styles that accomplish that

BP

Comment

so far so good on the game winner

Click image for larger version

Name:	feeder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	24632379

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        now that i have stand and fills i’ll never have anything else. Gone are the days of carrying corn up a ladder.
        amen !!!!!

Comment

We have 5 winch up feeders all equipped with 12 volt winches. I've always stayed away from stand & fill since we have cattle and I wasn't sure how they'd hold up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll hunt my traditional tripod feeders until they rot into the ground. Then and only then would I replace with stand n fills. If I were buying new yes I would buy stand n fills, just don't go the cheap route as they are subject to more wear and tear from the animals vs tripod or crank up feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by ccbrown50 View Post
              I'll hunt my traditional tripod feeders until they rot into the ground. Then and only then would I replace with stand n fills. If I were buying new yes I would buy stand n fills, just don't go the cheap route as they are subject to more wear and tear from the animals vs tripod or crank up feeders.
              Well put CC...its like kicking myself in the nads when I drop 6 bones on a new ASF stand and fill. But I've got 3 now and they are close to bullet proof. 2 of them running with no need of anything except a new battery since 2014.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Stand & fill feeders are the best invention since round bales of hay! Makes life a lot easier!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ccbrown50 View Post

I used to think like you. I bought my steel Big Horn 600s back in 2007 with the thought of taking care of them, repainting every 4-5 years and them lasting forever. They had 8' legs...tall as heck with a removable ladder. Fast forward to 2017....older and fatter and tired of climbing ladders and filling four at my lease.... sometimes alone. In the midst of a solo fill one day and a real close accident/slippage, I decided it was time to put convenience and my safety first. Don't need to fall from those heights and it can happen no matter how young and athletic one is. I cut one Bighorn down really short and put a directional on it. I can fill it from my truck bed. Replaced others with a Lamco Low and Throw on my lease and my local pig place with an ASF soon to follow this weekend. Best money I ever spent on my lease and my wife appreciated it as well with me being 5 hours away. Same with my timed protein feeders. Filling all mine is a breeze now.

Told my buddy who is as equally as stubborn as I was, that moved to Kansas, and still hunts in West Texas with us, "if you want me to fill your feeders when you are not here like I have in the past, you are going to have to make them more easily accessible and cut them down (one is exceptionally unstable and dangerous and we have to climb an 8' ladder to fill it). I can no longer climb those ladders like I have for the past 6-7 years for you....or you can drive down 13 hours and do it yourself." Needless to say, he is doing just that and with pen rebuilds in the spring to make them more vehicle entering friendly. Sure it cost us both some extra money but I like being around to spend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                    What caused the drop? I don’t trust the mechanical rope crimp they put on and go with three wire rope clamps properly spaced on the loop.

That being said I don’t stand under a load either.

If they ever flat give out I’ll probably go with a stand and fill but I sure do like the hang’em highs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                    Cable wear and rusting/pulling through. To be fair they had been out for years so they were pretty worn. In about a year's time, several of them starting falling though, all under load. We went through and replaced the cables on all of them after that. Keep an eye on the cables and any attach points.

Definitely do the same about nobody standing under/around them when filling/full.

Comment

The only advantage to having a winch up feeder is not having to build pens around them.

Comment

Use (2) 1000# Capsule feeders and will "never" use a tripod feeder and ladder again.

Comment

Working...
                        X