Winchester Model 1876

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester Model 1876

I have an old Winchester lever gun that has “model 1876” behind the hammer.

On the octagon barrel it reads “winchester’s repeating arm-new haven, ct”
    “King’s improvement patented March 29 1866, October 16, 1850”

Don’t see a serial number on it or caliber on it. It’s in rough condition as it’s missing the plates, pretty rusty, and the actual lever is pretty loose. Any one know anyone in or close to the RGV that could potentially restore it?

No serial numbers on guns that old. I don't know anyone in Texas, but Doug Turnbull specializes in restoring old firearms. Pretty spendy I'd imagine. Some of the bigger gun stores might be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

Contact Winchester

Comment

Good chance its a 44-40.

I would call Winchester.

Comment

Look up Cody Firearms Museum.If it's got a serial # It'll be on the plate behind the lever.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Post a pic. I have several in all flavors. Serial number should be on the bottom of the reciever. Some had very light engravings, you almost need some oil and a flashlight reflection to see them if they are rusty.

Comment

Very likely to be in 45-60 or larger....the 1876 Model is a beefed up version of the 1873 which was in predominantly 44-40. I wouldn’t trust just anyone to a restoration job as it will likely kill the value of the firearm. Like mentioned already, I’d look at Doug Turnbull as this is really in his wheel house. It won’t be cheap, but it will be a work of art.

Jake

Comment

pics

Comment

Originally posted by Tarleton Jake View Post
                  Very likely to be in 45-60 or larger....the 1876 Model is a beefed up version of the 1873 which was in predominantly 44-40. I wouldn’t trust just anyone to a restoration job as it will likely kill the value of the firearm. Like mentioned already, I’d look at Doug Turnbull as this is really in his wheel house. It won’t be cheap, but it will be a work of art.

Jake
                  When you’re saying won’t be cheap, Any idea of ballpark? We talking 10k or less or more thank 10k? I know depends on condition of the gun. Will get pics later.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                    When you’re saying won’t be cheap, Any idea of ballpark? We talking 10k or less or more thank 10k? I know depends on condition of the gun. Will get pics later.
                    It's hard to find a more respected name in firearm restoration worldwide than Turnbull Restoration. If you want your old rifle, shotgun or pistol restored to factory new, there is no company more capable and trusted than Turnbull Restoration.

Give them a shout. I’ve seen their work and it’s top
                    Notch for sure

Comment

Working...
                    X