BBQ pit recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ pit recommendations

I think its about time for a new pit. Looking for something under 1k. My current pit is a old country from academy, I think it was $500. The main problem with it is the grate rails for the grilling side has rusted or burned through. It does have some hot and cold spots, but its not that bad. Looking for something I can smoke on with the firebox having a grill top. So what yall cookin on?

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
    I think its about time for a new pit. Looking for something under 1k. My current pit is a old country from academy, I think it was $500. The main problem with it is the grate rails for the grilling side has rusted or burned through. It does have some hot and cold spots, but its not that bad. Looking for something I can smoke on with the firebox having a grill top. So what yall cookin on?

Get you a drum and install a diffuser plate. BBQ with the plate in and remove the plate to grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was looking more at stick burners like lyfetyme or lonestar grillz pits. Hoping for some real life reviews.

Comment

Make you a deal on this one.

Comment

I just got my new pit from Lone Star Grillz. I’ve only smoked on it once so far and I love it. Has a griddle under the fire box lid and a grate under that for grilling over the fire. This is the 20x36 model. A bit more than what you want to spend but I’m a buy once cry once guy.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
            I was looking more at stick burners like lyfetyme or lonestar grillz pits. Hoping for some real life reviews.
            Lyfetyme makes a good one.Picked one up in Stephenville 20 yrs ago for a buddy.He's still using it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I got a lyfetyme two door model off craigslist for $200 about 5 years ago. Great piece of equipment that I’ll be using for a long long time.

Comment

I've got a Pits by JJ trailer setup. They make smaller rigs too. I've been impressed with how it cooks and the quality. I think he worked for Klose before going out on his own.

Comment

The thicker the metal, the better, but then the price goes up (obviously).

Are you interested in putting some money into your used one? You could get a welder to fix what has rusted, just an idea.

Also, keeping the firebox clean and the pit out of the rain will make it last a lot longer.

Comment

If you are happy with the way your old one cooked then fix it up. Else look for a used well built one. I've had mine for 20+ years. It's been great. Only had to knock off some rust and paint it every few years.

Comment

I thought about trying to fix mine. I don't have a welder and not sure I could still use one if I did have one. It's still a option, I'd also like a pit a step up from mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X