No announcement yet.

"the pasture"....long read and pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no man, i wasnt able to swing it this year, ran out of time and money lol. i have kept the protein feeder going along with two spinners throwing corn/soybean mix so i am hoping i am giving them enough to leave the plots alone for a while.

Comment

I really feel like that fence could be the key to killing this disappearing act.

Comment

Originally posted by huntex View Post
        I really feel like that fence could be the key to killing this disappearing act.
        yeah, i can see why, and will try to start budgeting for one next season. he gave me a week last season, thats all i am asking for again since i am really hoping my new stand placements will give me a little more of an advantage than i had last year.

one thing i started thinking about last season was that maybe he wasnt the dominant buck on my (small) place and was getting ran off every year so i am really gonna try to watch things and see if thats the case. if it is one of my buddies will get a free deer.

Comment

Either way, Keep up the good work. I think you are doing a great job for the size property you are working with.

Comment

thanks man, and i appreciate all the help and suggestions. getting back to fencing till august, the two main reasons i am doing the plot is to give them more variety and hopefully a reason to come eat at my place everyday, but also to save some money. i was hoping that with the plot i would be able to cut way back on protein.

do you feed protein along with your plots? i guess i could keep the pellets going through the summer while i had the plot fenced off but it kind of defeats one of my main reasons for doing it. i think just making it bigger may be my best option.

Comment

Keep another thing in mind.....if you are feeding corn and protein in the same field as your plots the deer will find those young tender plants very early and probably not let them get big.

Comment

yeah, but i dont have much choice with the way my place is (currently) laid out. i have my sanctuary at the east end with the plot on the western edge of it. if i start moving further west with feeders i start getting into the firing range of neighbors...lol. this property is narrow and deep so i am not far from fence lines.

i have started a few brush piles though that once big enough will screen off some good areas from prying eyes and will allow me to open this plot up quite a bit and give me more stand/feeder options.

Comment

You'll end up like me sitting on our 32 acre place that was all oats and having neighbors walk up and glass the field while u wave at them from the bushes

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                    yeah, but i dont have much choice with the way my place is (currently) laid out. i have my sanctuary at the east end with the plot on the western edge of it. if i start moving further west with feeders i start getting into the firing range of neighbors...lol. this property is narrow and deep so i am not far from fence lines.

i have started a few brush piles though that once big enough will screen off some good areas from prying eyes and will allow me to open this plot up quite a bit and give me more stand/feeder options.
                    I hear ya. My place is similar. I just ordered some Egyptian Wheat seed to plant for a screen....to keep neighbors eyes off and provide security for the deer when they eat.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                      You'll end up like me sitting on our 32 acre place that was all oats and having neighbors walk up and glass the field while u wave at them from the bushes
                      Dang!!! If that wasn't so awful it would be funny.

You ever plant a screen around it?

Comment

I never pull a food source while the deer are using it. If they are getting all they need from another source feeder use goes down automatically. I definitely would not stop feeding while your beans are young. If they get some size, maybe then you could back off feed.

Comment

Looks like you need some help w/ coon Removal. Just PM me, I have traps, lights, 17HMR, AR, foxpro, and my recurve = a fun weekend!!!! Looking good our 60 acre plot is eaten up or weeds can't tell which is worse

Comment

You are lucky to have some place to go like this. Best to you.

Comment

Very impressive. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by huntex View Post
                                I never pull a food source while the deer are using it. If they are getting all they need from another source feeder use goes down automatically. I definitely would not stop feeding while your beans are young. If they get some size, maybe then you could back off feed.

thank you sir, i am out of town but believe the place has been getting a lot of rain this week, and i got out some fertilizer last sunday so hopefully they will really start taking off.

Comment

Working...
                                X