Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
    We have come to the conclusion that the only way for us to reach our goals for growing quality native bucks and keep the population in check on our property is to high fence. We have worked with our neighbors for nearly 6 years now to try and work together but our goals are not the same. Almost 1/4 of our property is already high fenced and the fencing company is out there as we speak getting everything else installed. I hope to have some pictures and updates as we go along.
    My experience is that you will see an incredible transformation in your property. For me the results of high fencing our property have been a dream come true. Absolutely no negatives and the positives have been joyous.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
      I don’t blame you! It’ll be fun to see what you can do. I hope you keep it native.
      Our plan is to keep it 100% native and see what we can do.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
        Our plan is to keep it 100% native and see what we can do.
        That’s awesome man. People always blame genetics and say well our area just doesn’t grow big deer these are the same people culling 3.5 year old 8s. From what I’ve seen on your property I bet you start growing giants within a few years.

Comment

Once the HF is up do you have to bring in whitetails to "stock" it or can you "trap" the existing deer? Something I've always wondered.

Comment

We won't be stocking anything. We will take a trail camera survey once the high fence is up to get a better understanding on how many animals we have and come up with a management plan. We believe we have good genetics and if we allow these bucks to reach 6.5/7.5yrs of age that they will be able to meet our expectations. We will continue to improve the native habitat and offer protein feed, cottonseed, corn, and fall food plots to increase the nutritional plane.

Comment

Sounds like a great plan to me! I’d love to do the same thing with our property, or just high fence off a few hundred acre pasture and see what I could grow.

Comment

Beautiful place

Comment

We had some new clearings made this week since the dozer is out there working and I'll be planting one of Turner Seed's native grass seed mixes to help increase the quality native grasses and perennial forbs. We are hoping to do around 5 acres each year to improve the quality native forbs and improve the tall bunch grasses for fawning. Here's the "Native Perennial Wildlife Mixture" from Turner Seed:
                  Plains Brislegrass 15%
                  Switchgrass (Blackwell) 15%
                  Green Sprangletop (Van Horn) 10%
                  Little Bluestem 10%
                  Sideoats Grama (Haskell) 10%
                  Sweet Clover (Yellow Blossom) 10%
                  Hookers Plantain 6%
                  Purple Prairie Clover 6%
                  Maximilian Sunflower 5%
                  Illinois Bundleflower 4%
                  Indiangrass (Lometa) 4%
                  Partridge Pea 4%
                  Engelmann Daisy 1%

I'll let you know how it goes. My plan is to broadcast seed over the freshly disturbed soil and then take our UTV cultipacker and just press the seed into the soil. I hope to share some pictures by the end of the weekend.

Comment

The mix looks good, keep us updated

Comment

3/22/2019 Update

We were at the ranch this past weekend to check on the high fence progress, check the feeders, and try to find some sheds. We haven't seen a lot of the bigger bucks return to our property yet and it seems that the deer still aren't hitting the feeders very hard.

Here are three pictures of our 3.5 acre wheat/oat field we planted last October. As you can see, the field is around 14-16in tall now and not getting browsed very much at all. We are hoping to plant this field in sunn hemp, cowpeas and sunflowers in mid/late April if we have enough time.
                      [ATTACH]951208[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]951209[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]951211[/ATTACH]
                      If we were to plant this field this Spring, how should we plant the sunflowers, cowpeas and sunn hemp? We have a disc harrow and a 3pt spreader but I wasn't sure what would be the best way to plant and try to utilize the oats/wheat as organic matter to improve our soils. Please let me know yalls thoughts on this...

Here is a picture of another 1.5 acre oat/wheat field:
                      [ATTACH]951210[/ATTACH]

We topped off the corn feeders and threw out alfalfa and salt blocks to provide a deer buffet before our place is high fenced. They really don't seem to be hitting anything too hard these days with all of the native forage growing.
                      [ATTACH]951212[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]951213[/ATTACH]

We broadcasted a Turner Seed perennial native seed mix onto 1.5 acres of clearings and then used the cultipacker. Now we just need some rain.
                      [ATTACH]951214[/ATTACH]

There is a lot of water out there, even the seasonal creeks are still full.
                      [ATTACH]951215[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]951216[/ATTACH]

High fencing materials:
                      [ATTACH]951217[/ATTACH]

Comment

3/22/2019 Update (Cont'd)

Here is the clearing we seeded and cultipacked:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3742 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	24575324

Comment

We decided to try and use the feed wagons from Jacoby's feed but they didn't have any 20% protein so we used their 16% protein. We filled our protein feeders with Jacoby's 16% protein on 3/2/19 and they are still around 75% full and our cottonseed feeders are about the same. Is anyone else experiencing low protein and cottonseed consumption? I know there's a lot of native forage out there but this is crazy low consumption. Just curious if any of you guys are experiencing the same thing.

Comment

On our lease in NW Menard County they have been real slow to begin eating the protein and we have been feeding it for a long time.

Comment

Count the blessings, it could change in the blink of an eye.

Comment

On our place in SW San Saba county they are barely hitting protein or corn. Conditions are just too good. I'm happy with it too. I know in a few months protein will be disappearing fast. LOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X