No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta watch this. My goodness, that girl can fish. Epic GT hook up.

https://www.facebook.com/simmsfishin...26007270766340

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post

Wow! She knows what she is doing!

Comment

combat fishing, talented girl for sure.

Comment

Cool video

Comment

I believe that is from the film "Providence" by Confluence Films if i'm not mistaken. You can download it on Itunes. Great for fishing action, but also tells the story of how they came to fish the island, pirate issues etc.. One of their captains was actually boarded by pirates immediately after dropping off some clients at the end of a trip and was held captive for months.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
              I believe that is from the film "Providence" by Confluence Films if i'm not mistaken. You can download it on Itunes. Great for fishing action, but also tells the story of how they came to fish the island, pirate issues etc.. One of their captains was actually boarded by pirates immediately after dropping off some clients at the end of a trip and was held captive for months.
              Wow on the video but no thanks on the pirates, yikes!

Comment

Has a blast at Christmas Island!

At Ifishing experience to date, although that might change if I ever hook a big GT.
                A couple of questions,

How proficient are you at casting? I figure I am pretty good, but double hauling is another category. How long are your longer casts? Do you need to be an expert to pull this off?

How does price to fish Belize compare to Christmas? Is there somewhere else you would go for a starer trip?

The folks at TFO are great about repairs, especially if you can drop by. I have once, and they were cool as can be.

Thanks in advance,

p

Comment

I would have just crapped my shorts. She is pretty amazing.

Comment

Where is going to be the best spot to fish in the end of April freshwater? I am afraid the waters will be too high in MT with all the snow they are getting this year.

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                      A couple of questions,

How proficient are you at casting? I figure I am pretty good, but double hauling is another category. How long are your longer casts? Do you need to be an expert to pull this off?

How does price to fish Belize compare to Christmas? Is there somewhere else you would go for a starer trip?

The folks at TFO are great about repairs, especially if you can drop by. I have once, and they were cool as can be.

Thanks in advance,

p
                      I'm probably a little above average casting in saltwater. Definitely not expert, great or really good. There were 2 guys on the Xmas Island trip that had literally been fly fishing twice....for trout. The lodge host gave them informal casting lessons the first few days and it wasn't long before they were catching some bonefish. Now, I don't recommend spending thousands of dollars to travel all that way and not being at least a decent caster. To dust off the cobwebs before the trip I spent $75 for a 1-hr casting lesson at Tailwaters Fly Shop in Dallas. Sean Polk at Tailwaters is a good instructor and will help you get your cast where it needs to be to adequately fish the salt. Since you are in Dallas, I highly recommend it. It's money well spent....and they have free beer.

Most of my casts at Xmas Island were relatively short compared to tarpon fishing from a panga on the flats in Belize. In fact, you really don't need to have a good double haul. A good, basic fundamental casting stroke is all you need at Xmas. The key is practice....in the wind. Take a lesson, find a park, pick a windy day, and get out there and practice.

Anywhere you go is going to have a learning curve if you've never been there or haven't fly fished the salt much. I like Belize because it's close, fun and relatively affordable. I've fished with the same local guide in Belize for 10 years, so I book with him directly and stay in the hotel of my choosing. This keeps the cost down compared to a hosted or group trip. That said, El Pescador on Ambergris Caye is a popular fly fishing lodge and a full service operation. It's a very nice place and if I was going for the first time I would probably join a group trip to El Pescador. There are other good locations to fish in Belize other than Ambergris, but I have only been to Ambergris. I want to go to Turneffe Flats in Belize one of these years. Google it and check it out. It looks incredible.

I have also taken a couple busted rods down to the TFO warehouse for replacement (don't try to pull a big ray up off the bottom). I agree those guys are super cool.

If you haven't been down to Tailwaters, I recommend paying them a visit. Call ahead and find out when Sean is working. He has been to way more saltwater fly fishing spots than me and he will give you some good advice about where to go for a starter trip based on your budget.

My last piece of advice is this....unless you want to develop an instant and lifelong obsession....do not hook a decent sized tarpon on a fly. It will ruin you.

Watch this if you haven't seen it. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0mqZFhEJjc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0mqZFhEJjc[/ame]
                      Last edited by Vermin93; 02-25-2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I would pick a hula hoop or trash can lid and stand 20 feet, than start moving back

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

delete

Comment

I'm probably a little above average casting in saltwater.
                            Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. I've never had to cast beyond my comfort zone maybe 30 feet as I have mostly trout fished. A trip to tailgaters is in my future. Thanks again!

Comment

Any fly fisherman here in the Victoria area? Looking to connect with some guys who are passionate about it.

Comment

Just put a really nice, brand new, custom built Epic 686 in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X