No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the offer Draco I appreciate it!

I’ve been so busy this past year, I just haven’t had the itch as bad as I used to... so I don’t mind holding off a few more weeks, but thanks again

I’ll start posting pictures of my little hill country fish in between the pics of all these other amazing adventures here in a few weeks

Comment

Headed back home! Met some nice folks on the river that showed us how to fish a wolly booger. I caught 8 yesterday. Couple nice trout for broken bow.

It was plenty cold! Had to buy a new pair of wader! Mine give out in 28 degree weather!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice job Slew!! It can be tougher than dunking a jig for slabs I love watching a trout rise to a fly though and it looks like you need a challenge anyway after watching you clean up on the crappie

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
          Nice job Slew!! It can be tougher than dunking a jig for slabs I love watching a trout rise to a fly though and it looks like you need a challenge anyway after watching you clean up on the crappie

Thanks! Prolly get some decent line before next year. Maybe can cast farther than 30 feet then!! Course it's more the fly flinger than the fly line!![emoji2]

Comment

Slew (or anyone else interested) I have a rental cabin in broken bow. If you go back let me know and I can send you the information.

Comment

Has a blast at Christmas Island!

At Ikari House the standard config is 2 fishermen per guide, so you get the guide half the day and the other half of the day you are on your own, usually 100 or so yards away. I like that model. I think it helps you learn.

First 2 days - cloudy and rain with little to no wind. Never took my rain jacket off on day 2. Very hard to see fish, but the guide could still find them. The lack of wind had them very spooky. Managed about 5 bones each day. Caught a baby GT. Hit a few triggerfish flats, but couldn't hook one. Never seen a fish so spooky. They have become nemesis. Pulled several small grouper and snapper off the rocks.

Day 3 - partly sunny and pretty good visibility. Double-digit bonefish day. Caught as many with the guide as I did myself, which raised my confidence. Lost a few big ones. Had a blast.

Day 4- more clouds, this time with high winds. Tough fishing. My fishing partner today was inexperienced and really struggled without a guide, so I was on my own most of the day. Spent the morning on a triggerfish flat. Had over 10 shots and blew them all, including a mac-daddy trigger that would have made my trip. The tide was ripping when I came up behind 3 big GT's. We didn't see each other, but they heard me and did a wide u-turn right back at me. Dropped my bone rod, grabbed my 11-wt, stripped off some line, went to cast and the top 3 inches of the rod tip broke off. I stood there disgusted as the GT's blew by me at about 20 feet. My new Winston Saltwater Air was now out of commission for the trip. Fortunately, I had an old TFO Jim Teeny 10-wt in the boat as a backup (more on that shortly). Changed flats after lunch and caught a few bones. Jumped another big GT, but it took off before I could make a move. Saw a GT working just off the edge of the flat, so I grabbed the 10-wt and made several blind casts in that direction. After about 8 casts...pow! The rod shattered just above the middle. This rod had probably landed 30 Belize tarpon since 2007, so I forgave it, even thought it was probably my fault. Thankfully I had a TFO Axiom II 12-wt back at the lodge as a backup. (By the way, I called TFO in Dallas and they said to bring that old, busted 10-wt down to the warehouse and they would hook me up).

Day 5 - gorgeous day, but more high winds. Went on a "backcountry" trip to hunt for GT's. The backcountry is a system of really large lagoons that used to be milkfish and tilapia farms, but they flooded back in the day and bonefish, GT's, barracudas and other fish got in. They are pretty much stuck in there now. They eat milkfish and tilapia and get really big, but they are super spooky. You walk around the edge of the lagoons looking for GT's cruising the edges. We saw several and I made some good casts, but they just wouldn't commit to the fly. It was frustrating. I made a long cast to what I thought was a GT. The fish crashed my fly and I though to myself "this is actually going to happen". Then the fish jumped and I saw it was about a 4-ft barracuda. Line cut, $10 GT fly gone, game over. After lunch we left the backcountry, hit a sandy flat and caught more bones.

Day 6 - best weather day of the trip. Mostly clear skies and manageable wind. Epic bonefishing in the morning. Another double-digit bonefish day. Landed some good ones, but lost 3 bruisers. Not sure if it was me or the gear, but I had multiple clean breaks with Orvis Mirage 12lb and 16lb flouro leaders and tippet. Went to a 20lb leader and hooked a spunky young GT on my 8-wt. It was fun on the small rod. I can only imagine what a big one would be like. Caught a few more bones the rest of the day. On the way in we trolled GT flies from our 12-wt rods and I caught an African pompano. Evidently they are very rare at Christmas Island, as all the guides in our boat wanted a picture of it before we released it.

We caught several blue trevally trolling GT flies in between flats. We saw some golden trevally, but I'm not aware of anyone who caught one on the trip.

In our group of 16 anglers, I believe there were only 2 GT's landed above 10 lbs. There was a trio from Iceland who had been there the past 4 years, and they suggested Christmas Island might be getting a little overfished. I suppose that could be the case. It's a relatively affordable trip, so there are groups coming and going almost year round. Regardless, it was a great adventure and I'd really like to go back again because it's a beautiful and diverse fishery and I know I could be a lot more productive the 2nd time around now that I have a week of experience under my belt. My biggest disappointment was not landing a big-daddy bonefish. They are definitely there and I hooked a few, but it just didn't work out. That alone makes me want to go back.

My main comparison is Ambergris, Belize, and I would have to say that the bonefishing at Christmas Island blows Ambergris bonefishing away. However, sight casting for tarpon on the flats near Ambergris may still be my favorite fishing experience to date, although that might change if I ever hook a big GT.
              Last edited by Vermin93; 02-13-2019, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Comment

Great write up for what I'm sure was an incredible trip! Maybe some day I'll brave the salt, but as much as I struggle with fresh water, I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                    Yeah, how do you like those Ross reels?
                    They are 10+ year old Ross Momentum reels. I like them. They have been reliable and get the job done. That said, I'm in love with my new Hatch 7 Plus.

Comment

Looks like a blast

Comment

Awesome trip! Not much better than hooking up with nice bonefish, but a giant trevally would be unreal.

Comment

I love this! Lots of good stuff about fly fishing. I could use some pictures and stories on my website texasdeerandbass.com. Send me some information guys.

Comment

I must be loosing my mind to want to start another hobby but, have you ever fabricated your own bamboo rod? I am considering giving it a shot from raw materials. To have a custom one built just for me will run into the thousands and take over a year to receive! I can build one for @ $400 less my time. A seasoned craftsman can go from raw products to a finished product in 60 hours. It will probably take me all of 200 hours but how many people can say they have caught fish on the fly and rod they personally made?

Michael

Comment

By the way, I picked up several reels a couple months ago and have an extra Okuma Integrity I-5/6b to part with in a 9 of 10 condition with only a bright spot on the center of the spool from line rub. Would love to just trade for an equal value (can add cash) 3/4 wt.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
                                They are 10+ year old Ross Momentum reels. I like them. They have been reliable and get the job done. That said, I'm in love with my new Hatch 7 Plus.
                                I love Hatch reels. I really regret selling mine. Now I need to buy another or save up and get a nautilus

Comment

Working...
                                X