Barndo versus Stick Built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barndo versus Stick Built

Is there really a cost advantage anymore? What are the pros/cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
    Is there really a cost advantage anymore? What are the pros/cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can’t give pros or cons, but about 6 months ago barndo was about $10 less a square foot.

Comment

I’m bidding one out right now for land I just bought- traditional bids have been coming back a good bit cheaper than the metal.

Pm me if you want more detailed info on what I’ve seen so far....

Comment

The savings come if you DIY. I’m fixing to start the process of building a barndo, and I will do everything myself except the erection of the building, AC, cabinets and countertops.

Comment

I think where the Barndo wins is you can write some of it off if you have a shop or something under the same roof for farm use .I would check with your tax person

Comment

Price wise no, but you have more interior options since there is basically no load bearing walls unless you build a second floor.

Comment

In living square footage area. No.
              If you incorporate the “shop area”. Then yes. It brings your average down.

Pm me if you have any specific questions. It’s what I do for a living. I can direct you to our Facebook page and you can see some of our work.

Ryan.

Comment

Little savings on building portion. Biggest saving comes at property tax time.

Comment

If you ever wanted to sell it seems like a barndo would appreciate less and you would end up with less equity than a stick built. With that being said we plan on going the barndo way when I retire on our family farm.

Comment

10% vs 20% down was my deciding factor on building a barndo. Hard to choke up %20 down when your building a home in the mid 3's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
                      10% vs 20% down was my deciding factor on building a barndo. Hard to choke up %20 down when your building a home in the mid 3's.

Curious why you ran into this- my construction loan for land and build is 10% with type of build being no factor at all.

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
                        Curious why you ran into this- my construction loan for land and build is 10% with type of build being no factor at all.
                        Not sure to be honest. Might have been the bank I went through. I talked to 2 different ones and they were both the same. 20% down on barndo and 10% on stick.

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
                          Not sure to be honest. Might have been the bank I went through. I talked to 2 different ones and they were both the same. 20% down on barndo and 10% on stick.

Gotcha- thanks. Hope the builds finally making some progress for you but the way it was pouring in temple today that may just be hope..... good luck brother 👍

Comment

I’ve been curious about this as well. I’m ready to start dirt work and I can’t decide between the metal with the shop incorporated or the traditional. The metal would be an 80x100 with side walls high enough to have a large loft/man room upstairs. It would be cut in half for living and shop area. It would be nice to finally have a definite direction to move on with.

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
                              Gotcha- thanks. Hope the builds finally making some progress for you but the way it was pouring in temple today that may just be hope..... good luck brother [emoji106]
                              Its horrible to say the least. We are trying just a slow go. Ain't nothing like paying on something that you dont even have if you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                              X