Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Your Thoughts About “Doe Days”?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Man View Post
    In my opinion, and I am only speaking for my experiences in Washington, Fayette and Colorado, having a 4-day 2 doe harvest is unsustainable in the long run. This was tried in 90-92, and the population was hurt severely. It has taken almost 26 years to propose doe harvest again. In the meantime, land has become more fragmented. I think it is a bad idea. I talked to the area biologist and he seems to think the impact will be minimal and I disagree. Oh well. They seem to think mandatory reporting will hold people back. I disagree. I would prefer no doe days in the counties of wash, fayette, austin and Colorado. At best a limit of 1 doe for a couple years and see if thee is an impact.

Just my two cents...
    This!
    We are in a co-op in Colorado county. We get doe permits issued by census. Now you will have the guy with a few acres letting his family, etc shoot as many as they can get. Stupid idea imo.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      This!
      We are in a co-op in Colorado county. We get doe permits issued by census. Now you will have the guy with a few acres letting his family, etc shoot as many as they can get. Stupid idea imo.
      So does the same guy with a few acres letting his family, etc shoot as many as they can get do the same in archery season? I mean with a crossbow it's not really that hard is it?

This would be for counties where does are legal to take in archery season.
      Last edited by sendit; 01-01-2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I will be honest. I didn't know there were not any counties that didn't allow killing doe.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          I will be honest. I didn't know there were not any counties that didn't allow killing doe.

It’s not that they don’t allow it l. It’s they only let us during archery season only. Only way around that is going through MLD which not everyone is on. Therefore giving these does days will give those places that need to take does take them legally with a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ca$ey View Post
            Took these pics at my place in Wilson county about 10 min ago. Over 40 deer out right now. 4 are yearling bucks rest are doe.
            I’d love me some doe days!
            SON! you've got a female problem. Reminds me the way the state park used to look before they started doing draw hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              So does the same guy with a few acres letting his family, etc shoot as many as they can get do the same in archery season? I mean with a crossbow it's not really that hard is it?

This would be for counties where does are legal to take in archery season.
              Its not

Comment

I will say that this coming season will not be the year to start doe days. I say this because of how bad of a deer season it has been in Colorado Co. I get 7 doe tags every year split across 3 places. Normally we harvest 4-5 does. This season in of all my sits on one property I have seen 3 deer total. Where last year 5 to 20 deer where normally seen. I believe this season will really screw the numbers up on deer density in areas due to the acorn crop and not harvesting deer. I am also against doe days because of small property sizes and believe there will be an over harvest of does. I do understand also that TWPD paints a wide swath when proposing doe days. Not a lot of other counties have a co-op the size of Colorado County that have been maintaining deer populations for years.

Comment

Originally posted by janak View Post
                  I will say that this coming season will not be the year to start doe days. I say this because of how bad of a deer season it has been in Colorado Co. I get 7 doe tags every year split across 3 places. Normally we harvest 4-5 does. This season in of all my sits on one property I have seen 3 deer total. Where last year 5 to 20 deer where normally seen. I believe this season will really screw the numbers up on deer density in areas due to the acorn crop and not harvesting deer. I am also against doe days because of small property sizes and believe there will be an over harvest of does. I do understand also that TWPD paints a wide swath when proposing doe days. Not a lot of other counties have a co-op the size of Colorado County that have been maintaining deer populations for years.
                  This was a good year for the deer a bad year for the hunter, they've got plenty of groceries and water this year so movement and sightings are down, yet to TBD how the fawn crop will survive but it has potential to be great.

Comment

For those interested about the details as proposed in January, did not realize the counties with 4 doe days are moving to 16 next year https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feed....phtml#item_05

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      For those interested about the details as proposed in January, did not realize the counties with 4 doe days are moving to 16 next year https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feed....phtml#item_05
                      Bout dang time. My kids will be able to gun hunt before bow hunt. Was really not looking forward to having to try to squeeze that in on thanksgiving weekend.

Comment

Not a good idea for Fayette County, where I hunt, small acreage, and small acreage on 3 sides it will be no good. I can see a real decline in deer if this happens. Will be back like it was before the antler restriction was put in force. I hope it doesn't happen.

Comment

The whole point of doing it is to see a decline in the number of deer. I'm all for it. There are too many now, especially does. Areas that don't have many deer now are simply the areas that don't have quality habitat to support higher numbers.

Comment

Does

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            Doe season should last all season.

If you don't cull the doe, nature will.
                            This!!!

I wish people around me would kill more does, the does are killing me at my protein feeder! I do think there should be a limit on small property though. There is a lot of places that are 20 acres around me and they don't need to kill 3 or 4 does. I think there should be a limit on how many you should kill depending on your acres, but also think it should go all season or up to a certain point anyways!!!!

Comment

doe

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                              What did they say was the hold capacity of Colorado county?

They said for Lavaca is 1 per 20acres. That seems crazy to me.
                              I have 127 acres in Colorado county and I have had 25 does at 2 different spots on my place at 1 time and my neighbor behind me will send me a picture with another 10 or 12! We have way too many does in my area! Of course I plane and protein feed also so there is a reason I may have more than most. They will eat 1700lbs of protein in 20 days during the summer

Comment

I don't agree with a over all doe hunt I like seeing deer when I hunt even if it is doe
                                I remember a time that deer were hard to see but that's changed now and I see deer almost ever hunt which is a good thing. I do agree some places hold high deer numbers to me that a good thing. I figure if the land owners got doe permits to use as needed it would give the land owner more control over the deer herds

Comment

Working...
                                X